Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: ON Magazine's article on oil?

P Monk

friction reducing additives

I know additives to reduce friction were not part of the excellent article, but I just got to thinking. Since most of our BMW's are dry clutch, would there be a benefit to an oil that isn't blended to prevent wet clutches from slipping? I just wonder if Spectro blends oil for BMW with that in mind?

Mobil1 (car oil) is designed for high performance engines and flat tappet engines. The 15-50 contains nominal 1200 and 1300 ppm phosphorus and zinc. The Mobil1 V Twin 20w50 oil according to them is blended to be used in wet clutch applications also used as transmission oil.

I used Mobil1 15w50 for years in my Harley Davidsons, and they never did over rev and blow up because the oil was too slick causing a runaway engine effect.
    I also used Mobil1 15w50 in two different oilheads with no problems.

Just wondering...
    P. Monk
    My prized possessions. 74 R90/6 Mine! (also know by bride as the Black Hole). 09 R1200 GS. My wife, 1953 model who has survived aplastic anemia and a bone marrow transplant. My most prized possession is my relationship with Jesus!

Yet no mention of oil filters and change intervals.

W/O oil analysis, many riders change their synthetic oil at 3,000 to 5,000 mile intervals.

This is not based on science or facts, it's "sooner is better than later" so why not?

False economy.

For the extra cost of synthetic, one would expect that oil change intervals could be longer.

On the BMWST forum several years ago, a member sent in oil samples at 3, 6, and 9K miles. Results? At 9K the oil was still performing adequately and could have gone longer.

I've heard of riders that don't ride during the winter. So they change oil and filter in the fall, park the bike all winter and first thing in the spring drain the fresh oil and clean filter and do it again. You gotta .

And we haven't even started to talk about how FRAM filters will cause your engine to self destruct. You don't need to post a link to the article with the cut apart filters. How many cars or motorcycles do you know that suffered engine damage due to a Fram filter?

Clean oil is good. Change it before it wears out!

YMWV
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by dpmonk View Post
    I know additives to reduce friction were not part of the excellent article, but I just got to thinking. Since most of our BMW's are dry clutch, would there be a benefit to an oil that isn't blended to prevent wet clutches from slipping? I just wonder if Spectro blends oil for BMW with that in mind?

Mobil1 (car oil) is designed for high performance engines and flat tappet engines. The 15-50 contains nominal 1200 and 1300 ppm phosphorus and zinc. The Mobil1 V Twin 20w50 oil according to them is blended to be used in wet clutch applications also used as transmission oil.

I used Mobil1 15w50 for years in my Harley Davidsons, and they never did over rev and blow up because the oil was too slick causing a runaway engine effect.
    I also used Mobil1 15w50 in two different oilheads with no problems.

Just wondering...
    Quote Originally Posted by sibud View Post
    W/O oil analysis, many riders change their synthetic oil at 3,000 to 5,000 mile intervals.

This is not based on science or facts, it's "sooner is better than later" so why not?

False economy.

For the extra cost of synthetic, one would expect that oil change intervals could be longer.

On the BMWST forum several years ago, a member sent in oil samples at 3, 6, and 9K miles. Results? At 9K the oil was still performing adequately and could have gone longer.

I've heard of riders that don't ride during the winter. So they change oil and filter in the fall, park the bike all winter and first thing in the spring drain the fresh oil and clean filter and do it again. You gotta .

And we haven't even started to talk about how FRAM filters will cause your engine to self destruct. You don't need to post a link to the article with the cut apart filters. How many cars or motorcycles do you know that suffered engine damage due to a Fram filter?

Clean oil is good. Change it before it wears out!

YMWV
    Sorry fella's, but I believe you overthink this stuff. Think about this one, how many years were wet clutch bikes using automotive oils where absolutely NO research was done on clutch slipping. Actually, motorcycle specific oils are pretty new in the grand scheme of things. Since all we see in virtually ALL oil threads is anecdotal evidence and no hard evidence of part failure or wear, how do you know what oil is actually better than another. That 3000 mile oil change interval has been around since as long as I can remember, and that is a long time. Oil analysis tests by long distance fleet trucks do not support oil changes at that short of an interval. I use what makes me feel good, no science involved. I change at 6-10K miles depending on type of riding I've been doing. I will dump before the bike sits for the several months of off season or before a long trip.
    Old But Not Dead
    Semper Fi