Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Possible emergency, or am I being a wuss?

got ahold of Lone Star... they think they have one in stock, and they're looking for it. He claims he'll have it tomorrow.

The coils I can use VW coils for. The condensor I can probably fake as well...

but the points are a sticky.

coils, maybe. The coils on my '73 LWB /5 are original...

The article I linked > See > http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/PlugCapsnCoils.htm

Seems to hold that while there is a difference in performance between the 1Ω and 5Ω cap, either will work in "normal" duty. Tomayto, Tamahto...

Have you determined if this is happening to BOTH cylinders, simultaneously.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

just looked at the points. They're pitted but functional. I guess the year in storage boogered them, as well.

and honestly, I can't tell which one is missing, it feels like both.

Still, a fresh points/condenser should help.

Certainly can't hurt. Hopefully they'll be "Noris" points and not cheesy Chinese copies. Not that I have anything against Chinese; I love Kung Poa chicken...

It's not recommended that the points be dressed, but in a pinch. If you resort to it, just make sure you get them well degreased.

And if you get new points, pass a clean business card or other paper between the contacts to "polish" them before you install them.

And if push comes to shove, San Antonio's only like 80 miles right from Austin... .. .

Lew Morris

80 miles, eh. You gonna help me push the damn thing?

it does make me wonder what caused them to fail so abruptly. 1000 miles on a set of honest-to-god BMW points is pretty lame.

crummy points...

Quote Originally Posted by Roguetek View Post
    it does make me wonder what caused them to fail so abruptly. 1000 miles on a set of honest-to-god BMW points is pretty lame.
    I have had a run of bad points. One set lasted just 500 miles and begin to back fire, the rubbing block wore down far enough that you could not adjust them into spec. That was on my 77 R100, she now has Dyna III electronic ignition, so far so good, I think about 10,000 miles. Then the other day I finally finished putting together a 1976 R75, she is real pretty(!) and took her for a test ride. The points had about 375 miles on them from a previous ride and I made it about 75 miles and began to get popping and a few hesitations. Same thing, rubbing block wore. I now have 3 sets of old old brand new points and will try one of them, I got them in the fairing of a slash 5 I recently purchased, the guy liked to have his 3 sets of extra points handy I guess. WHen you mentioned the hesitations that was the first thing I thought of, dang points! When they are good they seem to last for many many miles. I have not given up on them.
    Regards,
    Kurt
    1977 R100/7 1971.1972.1972.1973 R75/5
    1974 R90/6 multiple boxes
    Airhead Revival
    "Objects in the mirror appear to be losing" unk

There are some alternative parts to be found in this thread from ADV. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207573
    I have replaced the turn signal relay with one from NAPA. As for points or coils, there may be something in here that can get you home but we all take our chances. If you'll be in Austin for another day or so I would suggest giving Bruce Davidson, Boxers By Bruce, a call at 817.265.8065. He could express mail the part(s) you need the next day.

Paul G had an article about the Chinese points in the ON a few months ago (and maybe reposted here somewhere?). They look a whole lot like the real BMW part, even the little box is pretty close, but they are crap (politically-correct understated euphemism here).

Addendum to my earlier post about checking where the wire comes out of the cavity -
    ALSO make sure the wire isn't pinched under the flat spring arm; the sharp edge will cut right thru the insulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    Paul G had an article about the Chinese points in the ON a few months ago (and maybe reposted here somewhere?). They look a whole lot like the real BMW part, even the little box is pretty close, but they are crap (politically-correct understated euphemism here).
    It was Matt...September 2010. The issue with those was that the rubbing block was so tall, that the bike couldn't even be timed at all. If roguetek had it timed at one point, seems like this is not an issue associated with non-standard points.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Thanks, Kurt!

First -

I made it home.

Second - Thanks for all the help

Details -

Lone Star BMW had the points. However, BMW is, apparently, shipping the chinese junk (and yeah, they're junk) as OEM now...

While I was crusing around, trying to find a condensor, the misfire problem simply... stopped. As suddenly as it begain. she ran like a top, all the way home.

Guess it must have been something in the fuel.

Hucky's, MAXBMW sell the real-deal, German-made NORIS (one "r") points. Ted Porter does too. BUT YOU HAVE TO ASK FOR THEM SPECIFICALLY. Lay in a supply.

The "N" at the end is a Hucky-unique addition to the OEM p/n.

Great that you got home, but doncha just hate it when something "fixes" itself and you don't know wtf is was... . ? Personally... I think I'd have my way with that tank; drain it and thoroughly de-gunk the interior and the petcock screens. I tend to obsess however

Lew Morris

I did that in the driveway in austin. 5 gallon bucket, carb cleaner, etc,etc. The liner is coming out.. I'm not sure how to get the rest of it, so I can -really clean- the tank, and lay in a new liner.

Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post
    Hucky's, MAXBMW sell the real-deal, German-made NORIS (one "r") points. Ted Porter does too. BUT YOU HAVE TO ASK FOR THEM SPECIFICALLY. Lay in a supply.

The "N" at the end is a Hucky-unique addition to the OEM p/n.

What concerns me is -someone- is passing off the chinese junk to dealerships. This is a Bad Thing.