Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Possible emergency, or am I being a wuss?

What concerns me is -someone- is passing off the chinese junk to dealerships. This is a Bad Thing.
    Profit margin.... ? You can get the real thing, you just have to know what to ask for. Like everything else I guess.

I've found that the "new" BOSCH condensers are not too cool either. The ends of the clamp will not compress together far enough requiring a longer screw be substituted. Even then, when tightened, the mounting screw hits the clamp of the condenser causing it to not seat correctly unless really torqued down hard. It's a minor annoyance to have to stop and find a screw when you've got the one that held on the old condenser, but why do they do this stuff?!?

New BMW (made in Turkey)

The Real Deal condenser from MotoBins.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

I got them in the fairing of a slash 5 I recently purchased, the guy liked to have his 3 sets of extra points handy I guess.
    Back in the 1980's BMW had a bad batch of points. They wear out prematurely within a 1,000 miles.

[QUOTE=Lmo1131;863451]Profit margin.... ? You can get the real thing, you just have to know what to ask for. Like everything else I guess.

QUOTE]

Lew, I have given up on the why's and just try to cope. For me, a condensor is a condensor and have substituted with one out of a 53 Chev Bel-Air, VW's several times, and on the side of the road an old ford tractor. I am just thankful that they last a VERY long time and when points start to pit and burn, it's typically time to start looking for a replacement condensor................Anyway, at least WE are still going strong........God bless........Dennis

Are you sure?

Quote Originally Posted by Roguetek View Post
    First -

I made it home.

Second - Thanks for all the help

Details -

Lone Star BMW had the points. However, BMW is, apparently, shipping the chinese junk (and yeah, they're junk) as OEM now...

While I was crusing around, trying to find a condensor, the misfire problem simply... stopped. As suddenly as it begain. she ran like a top, all the way home.

Guess it must have been something in the fuel.

Do you know that the problem has gone away for sure? Have you ridden it at speed , 70mph or greater since?
    1978 R100rs MOA#22600 125cc Kymco
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Rally Rat
    yes, for about a hundred miles. no issues.

James.A
    Bad gas?

Roque, apparently you are wuss. .. ..

Just kidding Brother. On these old machines it absolutely pays to be tuned in on them. With so many gasoline formulas all across the States it's hard to tell what you put into your tank. Thanks for one more "experience" to add to the collective tribal lore of airheads.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner