Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: All about Grits

Quote Originally Posted by 83014 View Post
    Haben Sie vergessen? Das discussion ist "Grits"!
    Sorry, my bad!

Dear Tracey:

I just wanted to know about the relationship between grits and lard, and I got into trouble. There may be no dumb questions, but it would appear there are many sensitive lard and grit-related issues. I never even heard from the guy who wrote such a brilliant piece. It seems contention follows me. Please be advised that I made a batch of pig butter. It describes a nice trajectory and makes a satisfactory splat when flicked from a long wooden spoon in the direction of a former mother-in-law. I will now return to the Witness Protection Program.

Your obedient servant,
    Jack Riepe/Steel Mammoth

Recipe

Baked Garlic & Cheese Grits

Ingredients

6 cups chicken broth
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    2 cups regular grits
    16 ounces Cheddar, cubed
    1/2 cup milk
    4 large eggs, beaten
    1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
    8 ounces grated sharp white Cheddar

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 4-quart casserole dish.

Bring the broth, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan. Stir in the grits and whisk until completely combined. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the grits are thick, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the cubed Cheddar and milk and stir. Gradually stir in the eggs and butter, stirring until all are combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle with the white Cheddar and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until set.
    It's a tough job but somebody's gotta do it.

I watched my wife preparing corn bread last night and she places the skillet in the hot oven & at baking temp removes the skillet & paints the inside with "bacon grease" (saved in a Crisco can by draining the microwave bacon pans) then pours in the batter. This results in a crusty bread-"pone".
    As to Pig butter vs. cow cream butter on cholesterol, level isn't that sort of like who's stinks the most? Either is hardly American Heart Assoc. food...
    Cheesy grits is on the box, every box & easy to make that's why I'm allowed to do it for the holidays.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
    Baked Garlic & Cheese Grits

Ingredients

6 cups chicken broth
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    2 cups regular grits
    16 ounces Cheddar, cubed
    1/2 cup milk
    4 large eggs, beaten
    1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
    8 ounces grated sharp white Cheddar

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 4-quart casserole dish.

Bring the broth, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan. Stir in the grits and whisk until completely combined. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the grits are thick, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the cubed Cheddar and milk and stir. Gradually stir in the eggs and butter, stirring until all are combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle with the white Cheddar and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until set.
    A pound and a half of cheese, a quarter pound of butter and zero fiber??? Is this some Elvis comfort food, served with bacon wrapped dounts?
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by JPRiepe View Post
    I had an epiphany this winter. I have decided to give up writing humor. It was a hard decision for me but one that I feel had to be made. I am now devoting my editorial skills toward serious technical writing. I want to be known as the "Organic Mechanic." My first story will be "How To Lubricate The Final Drive Splines of a K75 with Schmalz..." It begins, "Catch a good-sized goose and aim the secondary business end at the exposed splines. Give the goose a good squeeze. Be prepared to alter your aim." The story ends with, "Garage floor spillage is a pain. Control it organically by sprinkling uncooked instant grits into any seepage. This is the most perfect use for instant grits as no one will eat them anyway. Do not attempt a cheap shortcut by feeding the grits to the goose. You will be disappointed by the outcome."

We're back to grits again. Cool, huh?

Sincerely,
    Jack Reeperbahn

Hmmmm.... Jack, we Cajun folks can use the goose/grits spillage as either catfish or alligator bait. Better outcome for recycling, and we can eat the resulting product. Pass the Zatarain's please...

P.S. Corn fed Canada Geese make the best lube... (there is the grit connection again!)
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    A pound and a half of cheese, a quarter pound of butter and zero fiber??? Is this some Elvis comfort food, served with bacon wrapped dounts?
    Take a Krispy Kreme donut, wrap it bacon, then smother it with the aforementioned cheese grits.
    Mmmm! Delicious!
    That'll either stay with you all day or make a hasty exit in about 20 minutes.

Douglas Williams
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
    Take a Krispy Kreme donut, wrap it bacon, then smother it with the aforementioned cheese grits.
    Mmmm! Delicious!
    That'll either stay with you all day or make a hasty exit in about 20 minutes.
    Last year at the North Carolina State Fair from the local news:
    A Goober Burger is a hamburger, peanut butter, and jelly (choice of strawberry or grape.) Two Krispy Kreme donuts make the bun. It was $6.

This is hands-down the sloppiest Fair item I have ever eaten. If this is finger food I am Marie of Romania. I should have gotten a fork. Thank goodness I had hand sanitizer and water and a few extra napkins. I think it took longer to clean up from eating this than to actually eat it. Imagine picking up a burger with a Krispy Kreme bun and biting into it, except there's lots of condiments on it and nothing like lettuce or pickles or anything to keep them in proximity to the burger. And the viscosity of the jelly is such that it leaps off the burger and on to your hand. Or arm. Or lap. Or all three.

Eventually I gave in to the sloppiness and tried the burger. There's something oddly appealing about the peanut butter and the burger together, but the jelly didn't do anything for it at all. (Nor did it do anything for my shirt and my pants.) I had a couple bites and thought about it, and realized that I'd prefer some mustard instead of jelly. Then you'd have the sweetness of the donuts and the peanut butter, and then some savory flavor to complement the sweetness and the burger.

Now, back to grits.
    Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away

Quote Originally Posted by 83014 View Post
    There's something oddly appealing about the peanut butter and the burger together.............
    No. Nothing appealing at all.

Plainly wrong is more like it.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

You were being altogether far too kind to that concoction.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Campfire food?
    While donuts, burgers and donut-burgers have a certain appeal, it remains at the state fair where pretty much anything goes, so it seems.
    Back at the campfire, more realistic concoctions are what I'd like to hear about.

Thumbs up Best grits on Gulf Coast!!

If you're ever near Pensacola, Fl (around exit 12 on I-10) the BEST grits on the Gulf Coast are at " The Coffee Cup" on Cervantes St, around 6th st!!!!!
    Heed NEAD: No Egos, Attitudes, Distractions!!!!!
    Shep Brown MOA 27510
    "Igor" 82 RS "Inga" 04RT
    Pensacola, Flairider