Thread: 08 RT GPS power ?

Lightbulb 08 RT GPS power ?

I've been riding with a Garmin GPS for a while, powered by the GPS power plug that was capped off initially. I have decided to replace the GPS with my iPhone, it has all my music on it, and i found, what seems to be a great GPS app that gives turn by turn directions as well as traffic and everything else my Garmin has. So here's my question, has anyone bastardized an iPhone car charger and plugged it into the GPS power plug to power their phone? If so, did it work? If not, how big of an explosion was there?
    Thanks
    Al Scortino, Sebastian, Fl
    Current Ride 08 R1200RT

Thanks Joe, that should do the trick.
    Al Scortino, Sebastian, Fl
    Current Ride 08 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by pretzelstick View Post
    I've been riding with a Garmin GPS for a while, powered by the GPS power plug that was capped off initially. I have decided to replace the GPS with my iPhone, it has all my music on it, and i found, what seems to be a great GPS app that gives turn by turn directions as well as traffic and everything else my Garmin has. So here's my question, has anyone bastardized an iPhone car charger and plugged it into the GPS power plug to power their phone? If so, did it work? If not, how big of an explosion was there?
    Thanks
    What I did on my 07, was split the GPS Connector cable and connect both my GPS & my phone to it with voltage reducing cables. ( The line is 12v and my ZUMO 350 & my phone only need 5v each)
    I ran the phone connector through my glove box. I can keep it charged and protected while I use it to stream music or take calls through my helmet.
    Daniel
    If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
    R1200RT 2007 - IBA # 56396

I hard-wired in my iPhone into my 2009 RT using a PowerLet adapter off my fuse box. Here's their page of products. You can call them if you don't see a configuration you like and they'll make you up a special one.

JayJay