Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Camp Stove for Bike

I have an old coleman white gas backpacking stove that still works, but I almost never carry it anymore. I've gotten to where the jetboil does all I need. I'll make soup, hot drinks and boil water for dehydrated food with it. Everything else either doesn't need cooking or is from a restaurant. Now, for camping when I trailer it is a different story.
    Rusty
    Austin, TX
    Two Wheeled Texans
    2009 R1200GSA

central wisconsin along the wisconsin river
    Name:  PICT0147.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  80.5 KBI've been using this for years,packs small,light and trouble free.This whole set-up cost less than 20.oo$ so I can buy fuel for YEARS for the overpriced jet boil.
    Last edited by brewmeister; 03-11-2013 at 01:36 PM.
    81 R100RT

Jack Ethridge

Camping Stove

Quote Originally Posted by ARGENT BRICK View Post
    Many of you camp when you go riding. What camp stove and cookset do you use when traveling on your bike? Why did you pick that model over any other?

I just have to ask. Thanks.
    If you pull a Trailer the Colemen "Fold and Go" a two burner stove is great. If not pulling a trailer the Coleman One burner that runs off gas from your take is a good one. I picked because of the Repertation of Colman

Jack Ethridge
    Ocala Fl

If this is going to be only occasional and simple use, consider using cans of Sterno that are available in many department and grocery stores.

The alcohol in Sterno does not burn as hot as a gas stove, but it will get the job done and is easily replaced as you travel. Cans are at least as safe to transport as compressed or liquid gas in my humble opinion.
    George
    R1200RT, K1200RS. Previous K1200LT, R80RT, R100R, R75/5

Jetboil

Jetboil works well for boiling water in a few seconds - from that you can make coffee, instant oatmeal or backpacker freeze dried foods. Tiny, fast and powerful for one or two people.

jeepinbanditrider
    Sterno works great for slow heating stuff like canned goods that's for sure. Sometimes the jet boils and other similar stoves will heat too fast and in too small an area.

Well, after reading all of the post, I can see an advantage in having two forms of heating food and water. Something that can burn unleaded fuel would be nice for long trips, but the ease and convenience of a small propane or solid fuel/ETOH stove that I could drop into the tank bag would be nice.
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

8. 03-07-2013, 01:38 PM

Thumbs up My choice...

Jet Boil is the way to go. Electronic start, compact fuel containers, super fast heating. It may take you longer to get the water to your campsite than it does to get hot water. Many sites will sell the stove unit with a french press coffee filter system. Mine was around $100 w/ shipping three years ago. Just be sure to use fairly coarse ground coffee, though, you'll end up with a coffee explosion if you get too rugged with the plunger.

Marchyman

what kind of lantern is that next to the stove with the windscreen?

TIA,

sdc

Clickstand with wind shield on the right

Somers, NY

Just enjoying the ride.......

for me

I really DISLIKE liquid fuel stoves. It always seems to permeate everything else that you store near it.

For that reason, i use a propane stove. I don't make a lot of meals on the road, but i can cook just about anything that i want, from a quick one boil-in-a-bag, to a three course meal....
    Somers, NY

Just enjoying the ride.......

Bike camping stove

I really like my jetboil stove. I've it for about 5 years now and use it often while out on the road camping. Everything is easy about it and the fuel smell doesn't go into other things. Canisters are the way to go in my book. They light easily and last long. I've had coleman white gas stoves, other liquid fuel stoves. They all worked well but the jetboil is far less hassle to use. A+ in my book.
    Last edited by bandman; 03-10-2013 at 12:20 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by sdpc2 View Post
    what kind of lantern is that next to the stove with the windscreen?
    A Coleman Xcursion model 9970-725. It is no longer made. It was one of the many Coleman devices made to use their Powermax fuel which was a 35% propane, 65% N. Butane blend that would burn in cold temps and came in very light, recyclable aluminum canisters. Coleman no longer makes/sells that fuel. Currently available fuel cartridges can be used IF you fill the lantern while holding the fuel canister up (lantern upside down). You want the liquid fuel to transfer to the lantern's tank.

I've also a stove that used the Powermax fuel. Luckily I purchased an adapter that lets me use standard canisters for that, too, should I ever desire to augment my trangia burners.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGENT BRICK View Post
    Many of you camp when you go riding. What camp stove and cookset do you use when traveling on your bike? Why did you pick that model over any other?

I just have to ask. Thanks.
    A friend of mine turned me on to the Trangia line of stoves. I have used MSR stuff in the past and was happy with them but did like having to clean the burners and the loud noise they made. After using the Trangia I and sold! Absolutely quiet and the alcohol fuel is available everywhere. Super simple in operation and packs down very small. Also, any wind is not a problem.
    Tim2

In some locations fuel cannisters can be hard if not impossible to buy. If flying they are a nogo with TSA so if you might fly & hike or fly & rent a bike , I'd go with a gasoline burner stove per PG's suggestion. I sold my Optimus on ebay several yrs ago for a jillion times what I paid for it to a guy in Chile. I sold my MSR for twice what I paid on ebay & now use a cheaper coleman that works for me.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    special canisters to find
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    In some locations fuel cannisters can be hard if not impossible to buy.
    They are not that hard to find in my experience. I've spent more time trying to find a gas station than I have finding fuel for my jetboil stove...
    ride what you've got; enjoy the road you're on!

Reid - Stone Ridge, NY - MOA #69187 - Turbo Fluffy Motoclub - IBA #50182