Results 1 to 15 of 48

Thread: Camhead final drive lube 2012 R1200GS

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Kentucky
    Posts
    470

    Camhead final drive lube 2012 R1200GS

    Can't make it to the dealer for my 600 mile service before my scheduled trip. I'll do my own service

    Has anything changed from 2008 RT as far as the final drive quantity and specs for the oil ?



    I'm using 180ml of 75-90 GL5 synthetic
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Arroyo Grande California
    Posts
    40

    Specs. Procedure available here

    The specifications remain the same. The tutorial on this site quite good. Be sure and inspect the orings close unless you happen to have new ones aleady. I found a large animal syringe and a short piece of tubing to be the ticket for putting in the 180 ml fluid into the drive with no spillage. Bad spot for a spill. Syringe also allows accurate fluid measurement.
    Enjoy
    Will Stagg Central Coast of Commiefornia
    2012 R1200RT (most awesome unit)
    1978 R100/7 (sidecar tug )
    Yamaha TW200 adventure bikes (3) waay fun units

  3. #3
    A bozo on the bus deilenberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Spring Lake NJ, USA
    Posts
    7,633
    Just a heads up.. my local friendly BMW dealer now has in stock the actual original spec oil (which was a Castrol XO 75W-90) as "Final drive gear oil" C-SAF-XO) SAE 75W-90 GL5.

    BMW PN: 07 51 2 293 972. Retail price was $23.49/liter. For those of us who are somewhat anal about using what BMW spec'd in the service manuals - this IS the stuff, formerly almost unobtainable in the US (there are rumors Land Rover dealers carry it.. but I haven't checked that.)

    BTW - Anthony, document your service carefully. BMW has been known to squabble over warranty on bikes where the initial service wasn't done (or it couldn't be proved it was done.)
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

  4. #4
    Registered User liv2ride's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    186

    Fwiw...

    My '12 RT didn't require a final drive fluid change at the break-in service. I will not do the first fluid change in the FD and trans until 6k.

    Apparently the specifications for the initial service is somewhat fluid and can change on a whim.

    Good luck.

    Scot

  5. #5
    Benchwrenching PGlaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    "Big Bend" TX
    Posts
    8,486
    I think getting any crud left over from manufacturing out of the final drive sooner rather than later is a very good idea. If I ever skipped a FD service it wouldn't be the 600 mile initial service.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

  6. #6
    Registered User lkchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    4,601
    There are no equivalents to Castrol SAF-XO either from Castrol or anybody else.

    Remember it's designed as a "lifetime fill" oil and no others are.

    Even if you're going to periodically renew it, it still remains the fluid around which the unit was designed.

    Despite what a dealer may tell you, BMW has not changed the specification.

    Speaking of "anal," I was a bit disappointed that the SAF-XO Don mentions is not the red color that the original factory fill was. Think I'll get a bottle from Land Rover to see if it is.
    Kent Christensen
    21482
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

  7. #7
    Ponch
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Fountain Hills AZ
    Posts
    774
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I think getting any crud left over from manufacturing out of the final drive sooner rather than later is a very good idea. If I ever skipped a FD service it wouldn't be the 600 mile initial service.
    I agree, but they didn't change mine either. It was the most expensive oil change I've ever seen or had. I changed it myself at 3500 and it had a lot of the gray paste, but that's it.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

  8. #8
    K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Urbana, IL
    Posts
    3,673
    Quote Originally Posted by Liv2Ride View Post
    My '12 RT didn't require a final drive fluid change at the break-in service. I will not do the first fluid change in the FD and trans until 6k.

    Apparently the specifications for the initial service is somewhat fluid and can change on a whim.

    Good luck.

    Scot
    I don't think that's true...
    Did you actually see the RSD maintenance requirements or is that from another rider or the dealer?
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

  9. #9
    Registered User liv2ride's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    I don't think that's true...
    Did you actually see the RSD maintenance requirements or is that from another rider or the dealer?
    Yes. I was provided the service sheet following the service. I double and triple checked with the service manager and technician and they indicated that was the latest revision from the most recent service DVD. The DVD was dated one month earlier from the month of my service.

    I believe after my service I do recall others here indicating the same experience for their 600 service as well.

    Either way, I will service in about 1k miles. Since the dealer performed and documented the first service, not changing the tranny or FD fluid I feel okay with where I stand.

    Scot

  10. #10
    RAINEY 187132's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Just a heads up.. my local friendly BMW dealer now has in stock the actual original spec oil (which was a Castrol XO 75W-90) as "Final drive gear oil" C-SAF-XO) SAE 75W-90 GL5.

    BMW PN: 07 51 2 293 972. Retail price was $23.49/liter. For those of us who are somewhat anal about using what BMW spec'd in the service manuals - this IS the stuff, formerly almost unobtainable in the US (there are rumors Land Rover dealers carry it.. but I haven't checked that.)

    BTW - Anthony, document your service carefully. BMW has been known to squabble over warranty on bikes where the initial service wasn't done (or it couldn't be proved it was done.)
    I sell the Land Rover and the BMW Motorcycle dealer the same gear lube. 16 gallon kegs of Mobil 1 LS 75w90 and 75w140. You can buy it in cases for less than $9.00 per quart. BMW and Land Rover both rip off the dealers which then pass it on to you. You can actually purchase the Castrol from a Castrol Automotive or Industrial job Ed a lot cheaper than the OEM programs.
    Jason
    Grand rapids, MI
    2012 BMW R1200RT

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •