Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 24 of 24

Thread: Us421

  1. #16
    rsbeemer 22600's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New Braunfels,Texas/Taichung, Taiwan
    Posts
    338

    KY roads are thrilling and a little scary sometimes

    The only thing more frightening than the switch backs and dead possums was a women stopped in the middle of the road getting one for supper. Nothing against women, they're just usually the ones who cook supper. I know I'll catch flack for this but it's a true story and a long time ago. I only had to swerve once because she already had the possum by the tail. I love KY.

    DW
    1978 R100rs MOA#22600 125cc Kymco
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

  2. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eastern KY
    Posts
    3,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post


    Now... what's the big deal about the Snake? Heck, that's actually a great twisty road in world class condition.

    I can take you on a few really good roads right nearby there that will flat roll your socks up and down.... real local stuff.

    Ian
    Please post them,thanks!
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

  3. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eastern KY
    Posts
    3,281
    On eating roadkill-I've only been here since 1973 & know people that say they like groundhogs that are fat & roasted but never met anyone that eats roadkill anything. One guy I worked with said they'd put them in a cage & feed them for a few days before eating. FWIW,same guy raises sheep and hated the taste of lamb-me too. People to dumb to walk on the left side of the 2 lanes is far more dangerous than possum pickers.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

  4. #19
    nc bmw driver
    Guest
    I live on the NC side of the mountain and have ridden the Snake a few times. Wonderful road. First time I was looking at my GPS and wondering why the road looked so wide all of a sudden. It was the switchbacks, but the road looked three times wider than it was.

    Definitely one to be aware of where you are and what you are doing.

    Also fun is 58 east out of Damascus and 133 from Damascus toward Shady Valley. Don't forget the worlds shortest tunnel. Then there is 167 from Mountain City into North Carolina.

    Man, I live in a great area.

    Mark
    R100RT

  5. #20
    Registered User chewbacca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by NC BMW Driver View Post
    I live on the NC side of the mountain and have ridden the Snake a few times. Wonderful road. First time I was looking at my GPS and wondering why the road looked so wide all of a sudden. It was the switchbacks, but the road looked three times wider than it was.

    Definitely one to be aware of where you are and what you are doing.

    Also fun is 58 east out of Damascus and 133 from Damascus toward Shady Valley. Don't forget the worlds shortest tunnel. Then there is 167 from Mountain City into North Carolina.

    Man, I live in a great area.

    Mark
    R100RT
    You ARE a lucky dog. I would have to say that the Snake is uber wide compared to VA80 between I81 and US19 or 16 from Hungry Mother and Tazewell. Actually, I'm not so worried about "ME" being aware, I worry more about the other guy knowing where THEY are and what THEY are doing. Ever notice how many cruisers have a tendency to cross those stripes in the middle of the road????
    Old But Not Dead
    Semper Fi

  6. #21
    nc bmw driver
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CHEWBACCA View Post
    You ARE a lucky dog. I would have to say that the Snake is uber wide compared to VA80 between I81 and US19 or 16 from Hungry Mother and Tazewell. Actually, I'm not so worried about "ME" being aware, I worry more about the other guy knowing where THEY are and what THEY are doing. Ever notice how many cruisers have a tendency to cross those stripes in the middle of the road????
    Anything crossing the stripes in the middle of the road is scary.

    If this winter ever ends I'll go back and enjoy those roads again.

  7. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    17

    Great Web Site! Gravel? GPS Route?

    Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I live and grew up within an hour of the "Snake" and within 5 minutes from the "Back of the Dragon". I spent over 20 years cursing the crooked mountain roads of Southwestern Virginia as I drove over them handling insurance claims. I have mapped out 7 day trips that originate from the McDonalds in Marion, Virginia that will be added to the Smyth County Tourism website under trails(http://www.visitvirginiamountains.com/ ) within the next few days. The "Snake" and "Back of the Dragon" are a small part of some of the rides. You will be able to ride through these mountains for a week and have a different great ride every day. You will be on roads an outsider would never find.
    Great web site, great MC routes.

    Are any of these gravel? I don't do gravel very well.

    Do you happen to have Garmin GPS Route for these roads?

  8. #23
    Registered User chewbacca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisSkor View Post
    Great web site, great MC routes.

    Are any of these gravel? I don't do gravel very well.

    Do you happen to have Garmin GPS Route for these roads?
    I went to that website and looked at the routes. I think I've ridden just about all of those roads, some more than others. I believe that they are all asphalt. Not sure if 623 that goes through Burkes Garden near Tazewell is on them. It is well worth taking for the scenery but if you look on the map it looks super jaggy. Tight switchbacks on GRAVEL after Burkes Garden. Did I tell you I HATE gravel.
    You may want to contact those Smyth County guys about GPS maps. Actually they wouldn't be hard to knock out in MapSource.
    Old But Not Dead
    Semper Fi

  9. #24
    Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Posts
    3,301
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisSkor View Post
    Great web site, great MC routes.

    Are any of these gravel? I don't do gravel very well.

    Do you happen to have Garmin GPS Route for these roads?
    Many of the good rides are not on the site yet but the roads are paved. There is an occasional problem with gravel in the roads. Horse and cattle trailers sometimes pull the gravel from the shoulder because they have to leave the paved surface to get around the curves and hard rains sometimes wash the gravel across the road. I don't have GPS routes. I rode these roads for many years before they invented the GPS. I had to ride them again with a pen and pencil just to get the names and numbers of the roads.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •