Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BMW Tools are a Bargain! (Camhead tool)

BMW Tools are a Bargain! (Camhead tool)

Just ordered the official BMW special tool 14mm spark plug wrench for Camheads, i.e. 12 1 220 aka 83 30 0 495 560

Tool supllied is Hazet 4766-2 (made in Germany). BMW # engraved on it.

This is a real spark plug tool, with internal springs to hold the plug. (Rubber is passe.)

Just for fun, comparison shopped at usual Hazet source, i.e. Chad's Toolbox. (chadstoolbox.com)

Chad says retail for this tool is $72.36 and his "bargain" price is $54.27.

Chad also says he has a "115% price guarantee" and will "beat any competitor." Bet he doesn't know about BMW bike dealers. Aren't channels of distribution cool?

This isn't the first time I've found best prices at dealers, as for example two of my torque wrenches were obtained through the Mercedes parts system for significantly less than usual prices at tool sellers.

Perhaps conventional thinking deserves an occasional double check.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Who or where is Chad?
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

Did you miss the address in his post? Here it is again, in link format: http://chadstoolbox.com/

So, what was the dealer price you paid??
    Mac
    1986 R80RT, 2005 R1200GS
    Livin' Large On The Lake

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaMac View Post
    So, what was the dealer price you paid??
    Whoops! $32.31
    Kent Christensen

ebay has it for $39 if you aren't close to a dealer.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2009052...Types&var=sbar
    2014 R1200GS Adventure

Still seems rather steep for a simple deep socket. I got a regular deep Craftsman socket at Sears. I need to make something for the inside of it. Probably put some liquid rubber at the upper end of the socket and stick an old spark plug in it while it hardens. A soft rubber block would be easy to cut into shape.

I did use it as it is and had no problems with it. The socket fits so tight that it has no way of tilting over to the point of breaking the spark plug. All that is needed is something to help hold the plug in the socket for a slight assistance in removing and installing the plugs.

But this is a nice find for those wanting to get the OE tool. How much for the wire removal tool?

Not to high-jack (although related) but I want the tool to help remove the plug wire. My plugs were already kind of chewed up by the dealer! I think they just use needle nose pliers to remove the plug wires. My pet peeve - we pay top dollar for ****ty service all too often.

tsp
    My Blog: http://www.airheadmoto.com

I have one of these. For $25, it works.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

Grampa Tumbleweed
    Quote Originally Posted by tsperez View Post
    Still seems rather steep for a simple deep socket. I got a regular deep Craftsman socket at Sears. I need to make something for the inside of it. Probably put some liquid rubber at the upper end of the socket and stick an old spark plug in it while it hardens. A soft rubber block would be easy to cut into shape.

I did use it as it is and had no problems with it. The socket fits so tight that it has no way of tilting over to the point of breaking the spark plug. All that is needed is something to help hold the plug in the socket for a slight assistance in removing and installing the plugs.

But this is a nice find for those wanting to get the OE tool. How much for the wire removal tool?

Not to high-jack (although related) but I want the tool to help remove the plug wire. My plugs were already kind of chewed up by the dealer! I think they just use needle nose pliers to remove the plug wires. My pet peeve - we pay top dollar for ****ty service all too often.

tsp
    My Blog: http://www.airheadmoto.com
    Be carefull of the cheap stock BMW plastic tool, if they still sell it. I got mine two years ago and it failed almost immediatly by spreading. I now have an alloy one like shown by another poster, AOK.

Harbor Freight sells a deep socket for $4 or $5

camhead tool

has any one look at sears,sears has one for bmw plugs,

Registered User westhautianplen's Avatar

Thumbs up Spark Plug Socket

Recently performed a 24K service on My Bike while I had it tore down for the ABS Removal, rebuild and replacement. I have several spark plug sockets but none were thin enough to slide down the spark plug tunnel. After about an hour of looking for a solution, I resorted to a 5/8" Craftsman deep well socket I have had since I was 18. Worked great.
    Question, My RT is an 07, did the RT come with a Spark Plug tool in the tool kit?
    Plen Smith
    07 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by WestHautianPlen View Post
    Question, My RT is an 07, did the RT come with a Spark Plug tool in the tool kit?
    No it didn't and your bike has completely different spark plugs that require a completely different wrench, and it's a hexhead and not a camhead.
    Kent Christensen

There are many alternatives to an OEM socket for either bike, esp. if you are willing to mount it on the lathe and turn it down to the right size. But for those wanting the exact right tool with no hassle, that's a good price. Thanks.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Will this socket work? Schwaben BMW Deep Well Spark Plug Socket
    | Online only | Sears Item# 00903481000 | Model# S-381490-12P 14mm-12point-3/8 drive

spark plug wrench.png
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS