Thread: GPS Tank bag

GPS Tank bag

Has anyone any experience with those tank bags that are specifically designed to hold a GPS? If so would you recommend them? I have an older automotive Tom Tom that I'm thinking of using in one of these bags. I don't want to drop $700 on a motorcycle gps. There's some speculation that Garmin may be developing a new GPS that incorporates a lot of the technology developed for tablets. Id like to wait and see if that is the case. Or if I could find a Zumo 220 I'd consider that as an option. Thoughts?

You haven't gotten too much feedback yet so I will jump in here with my thoughts on tankbag GPS's....

I just use a regular (non waterproof) automotive Nuvi on a handlebar RAM mount. Works great and if it rains I just toss the GPS into the waterproof tankbag and go on without. I have experimented with my GPS in a clear pocket in the top of my tankbag and I really didn't like it at all. In my mind it was just too far out of my normal line of sight that it was dangerous. To view it going down the road it just took my eyes too far off the road for too long to be effective or safe. You have to slightly move your head downward instead of just moving your eyes a few degrees. Just my $.02, hope it helps.
    Neal - '09 R1200GS / '81 R65

Quote Originally Posted by ROMANY View Post
    Or if I could find a Zumo 220 I'd consider that as an option. Thoughts?
    The Nuvi 550 is similar to the Zumo 220 and normally sells for around $250. It's waterproof and you can load routes into it.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

You have to slightly move your head downward instead of just moving your eyes a few degrees. Just my $.02, hope it helps.[/QUOTE]

Thanks I was wondering about that very issue. This is exactly the information I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    The Nuvi 550 is similar to the Zumo 220 and normally sells for around $250. It's waterproof and you can load routes into it.
    Thanks Lee. I'll take a look at the Nuvi 550.