Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: As The Crow Flies?

Former Club President DonHamblin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Bruce -
    So that's great...it appears that board members are around and see what's going on being discussed. But with typically no posts or responses, how do we know that they were really here? If a tree falls in the forest....

There are a lot of good ideas (and some bad, too) that the members float and have discussions on. It sure would be nice to see some tangible evidence that this is being considered.
    I can't speak for everyone, but I can tell you all that both the Rally Chair and Co-Chair monitor this thread (and all thread related to the Rally). And as a Committee Co-Chair I do too.

As one of the very first members of this forum, I can share your concern but doubt if anything is being overlooked. Communication is key to any successful organization.

Don Hamblin
    Former President, BMW MOA

Awards Co-Chair
    Beemers, Bigfoot and Blue Skies - 2013 MOA Rally

Rally Chairman,
    Kansas City BMW Motorcycle Club,
    "Land of Oz" Rally

Don, thanks. I've already had off-board PMs with Rick who has assured me that he's "listening" and even posting in this thread. His input prompted me to do a quick check of the board members and their activity which I mentioned is fairly active.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by DonHamblin View Post
    That said, for "Long Distance" awards you will need to show us your driver license (just like voting or getting a speeding ticket in some states). Other awards will require us to see things like the motorcycle's registration / appropriate birth certificates / trip logs (including a few things like gas and hotel receipts) for validation. Do watch for a more indepth article coming in a future issue of the BMW ON and the Rally Page for details of award requirements.

Don Hamblin
    Awards Co-Chair
    The thought that someone would cheat on the mileage, or lie about their age, is simply too funny for words.

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMoore View Post
    The thought that someone would cheat on the mileage, or lie about their age, is simply too funny for words.
    Both of those items are what, I think they call, inversely proportional ie every year I 'get younger' and each year I ride- and have ridden - ' farther'. The mind is a wonderful thing eh? Around a campfire (or beer tent) the former is fun; in a competition, verification of the variables is critical. Dang!! I wish we could make it to Salem this year - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Quote Originally Posted by DonHamblin View Post
    This year we will be using Google Maps as our standard for appropriate mileage awards.

The idea is to make sure that there are no surprises to those going after the awards (I know that i only like surprises at Christmas).

Yes, if you do believe you are in the running for an award you will have to check in at the Awards Booth in the MOA Building. Current award "contestants" will be posted at that booth for your information. We will have a laptop handy (I am bringing my MacBook in my saddle bag, let's just hope it survives Kansas heat and Nebraska pot holes and we've got solid WiFi) so that you can watch us verify our validation of your mileage.

That said, for "Long Distance" awards you will need to show us your driver license (just like voting or getting a speeding ticket in some states). Other awards will require us to see things like the motorcycle's registration / appropriate birth certificates / trip logs (including a few things like gas and hotel receipts) for validation. Do watch for a more indepth article coming in a future issue of the BMW ON and the Rally Page for details of award requirements.

I know what it feels like having to wait for an announcement or "screen projection" of individual award winners, and I also know what it feels like to "know better" after an announcement, so we want to be open, honest and fair.

Please post any further comments, suggestions, concerns, etc., to this thread. If you want to discuss any specific details, please contact me directly for discussion. Yep, I do respond.

Don

Don Hamblin
    Awards Co-Chair

In Sedalia we also used Google Maps as the standard for mileage awards. I also had to confirm to several individuals that I was doing it correctly using the computer even though it may have appeared further on a map.

Don is correct - you had to have stopped by the awards booth and sign up for the award if you think you qualified and you wanted in the contest. It was mentioned in the MOA magazine and also in the Rally book. I know of a few people who were further, older, younger, etc. but they didn't sign up.

Sharon Ernest
    2012 Awards Chair @ Sedalia
    Sharon - WI Club
    1999 R1100R
    Really freakin' short 2007 F650GS
    2014 - Selling 92R100RT with EML sidecar and going to buy a 700GS Twin

Crows, direct and byways?

Google maps and by the most direct highways is one, byways touring is another adding many additional miles and crows are airborn. The latter being just too poor an idea(eat crow). The first two are work, so volunteer. It IS more work to consider touring folks miles and validation of such to be fair. Google is the most simple of all, but considers NO touring off the beaten paths miles added! And last: We're ALL officials in this MOA, holding equal responsibility as members to keep it strong. We DO have Directors, Ambassadors, etc., but never consider yourself not able to make a change. Sounds like somebody is HERE with mileage considerations. NICE work Canada. Others too. Randy. PS; I couldn't help notice how few the "post numbers" were from Officials(Past and otherwise) here. Not often, it seems. Glad you did, however. Welcome to the Forum. I do know many old timers MOA here. NICE again.