Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: So-long WMVY radio

  1. #1
    Outlander Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    5,910

    Unhappy So-long WMVY radio

    This is too bad, it seems like my favorite radio station WMVY radio has been sold to public radio station WBUR.
    WMVY-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WMVY
    More from the MV Gazette-
    http://www.mvgazette.com/news/2012/1...l-be-sold-wbur
    It looks like there will be online streaming but I'm not set up for that-currently.
    This was a radio station that had a spectacular playlist. When I called, I spoke directly to the DJ.
    As it is (was) a relatively low power station, some years back, I went to the trouble of putting up an antenna cut for their frequency and "aimed" it at the station so I could receive their signal.
    Goodby great OTH music, DJ's and really clutter free music.
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

  2. #2
    Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    3,021
    iPhone app, tunein radio. They have archives of old shows.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

    -Tom (KA1TOX)

  3. #3
    Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    3,021
    Gary, I've been listening to a steaming wmvy broadcast for the past half hour from my hotel room in Bar Harbor on the iPhone. From the way I read that news release, they aren't going away at all, just selling their fm frequency license.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

    -Tom (KA1TOX)

  4. #4
    Outlander Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    5,910
    Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    Gary, I've been listening to a steaming wmvy broadcast for the past half hour from my hotel room in Bar Harbor on the iPhone. From the way I read that news release, they aren't going away at all, just selling their fm frequency license.
    Yeah- something like that Tom. In a vehicle, I looked forward to tuning in when I was south of rt44, headed to the cape. From here, I could get it with the Yagi.
    Now it appears it will be more of an effort to to listen. How does the radio streaming effect plan usage on the IPhone? Here I could get one of the new internet radios and hook it up here.................in my spare time.
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

  5. #5
    Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    3,021
    Depends on your data plan. I have an old "unlimited" data plan and have never bumped against the 3GB "Unlimited Limit" and I have no idea how much I've used.

    Video streaming on the ipad uses a lot, audio shouldn't be too bad. It is generally sent at a relatively low bit rate.

    Ways to listen: http://www.mvyradio.com/station/ways_to_listen.php
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

    -Tom (KA1TOX)

  6. #6
    Outlander Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    5,910
    Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    Depends on your data plan. I have an old "unlimited" data plan and have never bumped against the 3GB "Unlimited Limit" and I have no idea how much I've used.

    Video streaming on the ipad uses a lot, audio shouldn't be too bad. It is generally sent at a relatively low bit rate.

    Ways to listen: http://www.mvyradio.com/station/ways_to_listen.php
    Tom. I'm at 2Gig and my usage has been about 2/10ths of that. The new software in the IPhone doesn't alert you when your on WiFi so it's a little more difficult to keep track of. It's a great station...I usually turn it on around 03:00 when 75 fades
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

  7. #7
    Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    3,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    ..I usually turn it on around 03:00 when 75 fades
    Haven't listened to 75 meters in many years -- will have to fire up the R390B, best receiver ever made.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

    -Tom (KA1TOX)

  8. #8
    Outlander Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    5,910

    Cool Good News!

    Well for fans of a good music selection I have good news-
    WMVY radio has been saved. I has received enough listener support to be on the air for another year! For the full story of the victory, you can read the story via The Martha's Vineyard Gazette
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

  9. #9
    bpeckm bpeckm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Middletown RI
    Posts
    371
    Surprised to find this thread here...my favorite radio station!

    The FM signal from the island WAS sold, so no more FM on that frequency. As of now, it does sound like the 96.5FM signal which comes out of Newport RI is going to be back on the air, any day now.

    In the meantime, there is the MVY app for iPhones, which works great. I always tuned in when in my garage/workshop, so now I use my iPhone with the app and use an adapter with two RCA plugs that plug into the back of my old Marantz.... Old School amplification of a 3G digital signal!

    Love it!
    bpeckm
    Middletown RI
    1983 R80ST "modified"

  10. #10
    Outlander Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    5,910
    Quote Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
    Surprised to find this thread here...my favorite radio station!

    The FM signal from the island WAS sold, so no more FM on that frequency. As of now, it does sound like the 96.5FM signal which comes out of Newport RI is going to be back on the air, any day now.

    In the meantime, there is the MVY app for iPhones, which works great. I always tuned in when in my garage/workshop, so now I use my iPhone with the app and use an adapter with two RCA plugs that plug into the back of my old Marantz.... Old School amplification of a 3G digital signal!

    Love it!
    Yeah the FM transmission went over to WBUR the other day The next time WBUR sends me a request for a donation, I'm going to write on it- "sent to help WMVY". Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

  11. #11
    bpeckm bpeckm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Middletown RI
    Posts
    371
    SO good to have it back "on air" in the old-school-radio sense... though the signal isn't strong enough to make it halfway up Aquidneck Island.... We can also stream it live with the iPhone and jack...
    bpeckm
    Middletown RI
    1983 R80ST "modified"

  12. #12
    Outlander Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    5,910
    Quote Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
    SO good to have it back "on air" in the old-school-radio sense... though the signal isn't strong enough to make it halfway up Aquidneck Island.... We can also stream it live with the iPhone and jack...
    What frequency did you find them on? I haven't had the time to look as it's tough from my location. I had set up a 7el Yagi aimed right at the station for a readable signal and when the atmosphere was cooperating, a great signal. There was repeaters in Newport and I think a couple of other locations- all too weak from here. TIA Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

  13. #13
    Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    3,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I had set up a 7el Yagi aimed right at the station for a readable signal and when the atmosphere was cooperating, a great signal.
    I have a 15? element FM VHF Yagi that used to be on the roof until some work was done 5 years ago. It's about 20 feet long. Unfortunately, it never made it back up there. It was one of those super fringe antennas for FM Broadcast band only and I used to listen to college stations all over New England, with superb quieting (and a rotator). Tuner is a Hitachi FT-5500 MKII. Funny thing was that I "met" a dude on one of the music mailing lists way back then that used to work for Hitachi. He had nothing but good things to say about that rig. It has some very sweet demodulation features. I could pull every station out of the weeds. It was amazing to just set the receiver on a frequency and spin the rotator to see what you'd get. Gotta get that thing back up there!
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

    -Tom (KA1TOX)

  14. #14
    bpeckm bpeckm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Middletown RI
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    What frequency did you find them on? snip
    They are out of Newport at 96.5, but admittedly a weak signal.....
    bpeckm
    Middletown RI
    1983 R80ST "modified"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •