Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Maintenance

DIY Maintenance

Does anyone know of some stats on the number of owners who do their own maintenance?
    I believe that there is a correlation between the type of bike you own GS, RT, K or R, S1000, etc and whether or not the owner does their own maintenance (something beyond just changing the oil). I'm just trying to put some numbers behind my opinions
    Old But Not Dead
    Semper Fi

This could be a good idea for a poll.
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

Touring Jarhead jeepinbanditrider's Avatar
    F800ST here. The dealer never touches my bike. I do all my own tire changes, and balancing and any major maint. work such as worn parts are done by me.
    2007 F800ST
    1997 DR350SE
    1978 GS1000E

The only DIY connection I see is warranty vs. no wrty & don't have time or know how or money vs. have time/money & know how or perhaps not lazy vs. , lazy -how do you figure the model enters in? I have oilhead,airhead,thumper & a smoker so maybe the more bikes and time and less money and more know how equals me pulling the wrenches
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

K1600 here, do my own oil and brakes
    My super dealer in long beach gives great deals on tires so they take care of that, valves and computer reset

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    -how do you figure the model enters in? I have oilhead,airhead,thumper & a smoker so maybe the more bikes and time and less money and more know how equals me pulling the wrenches
    Is your "smoker" a 2-stroke or an old K-bike?

I do all of my own maintenance, and most repairs on my airheads and oilheads but I wouldn't dare try to adjust the valves on a K or F bike. Too complex.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    Is your "smoker" a 2-stroke or an old K-bike?

I do all of my own maintenance, and most repairs on my airheads and oilheads but I wouldn't dare try to adjust the valves on a K or F bike. Too complex.

Ian
    Shim valves aren't hard to adjust. And honestly after the first valve check or two they won't ever go out of adjustment for as long as you have the bike.
    2007 F800ST
    1997 DR350SE
    1978 GS1000E

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by Downs View Post
    Shim valves aren't hard to adjust.
    That is true for shim ON bucket like 2Valve early Ks.

On 4Valve shim IN bucket designs, they are MUCH more labor intencive as you must pull the cams.

And honestly after the first valve check or two they won't ever go out of adjustment for as long as you have the bike.
    Not true. Valve recession, especially to exhaust valves will happen if left unaddressed. Valves on early Ks should be checked and adjusted if necessary every 15,000 miles. To not do so will lead to problems latter in it's life. A PROPERLY MAINTAINED early K will go several hundred thousand miles. If all you do are oil changes, you WILL start having problems before one hundred thousand.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    That is true for shim ON bucket like 2Valve early Ks.

On 4Valve shim IN bucket designs, they are MUCH more labor intencive as you must pull the cams.
    Still not hard to do and there are shortcuts to pulling the cams all the way out.

Not true. Valve recession, especially to exhaust valves will happen if left unaddressed. Valves on early Ks should be checked and adjusted if necessary every 15,000 miles. To not do so will lead to problems latter in it's life. A PROPERLY MAINTAINED early K will go several hundred thousand miles. If all you do are oil changes, you WILL start having problems before one hundred thousand.

I didn't say you didn't have to check them I just meant that they don't move much after the breakin. Everybike I've had with shim adjusters went well past 50k miles (close to 75k miles) before needing another adjustment.
    2007 F800ST
    1997 DR350SE
    1978 GS1000E

3 Red Bricks
    Still not hard to do and there are shortcuts to pulling the cams all the way out.
    Still not the quick and simple adjustment of the 2V. Could be intimidating to the inexperienced.

I didn't say you didn't have to check them I just meant that they don't move much after the breakin. Everybike I've had with shim adjusters went well past 50k miles (close to 75k miles) before needing another adjustment.
    EXACTLY. People go the FIRST 50,000 without needing to do any adjusting, so they assume that they never have to adjust. You are correct, the FIRST 50,000 miles rarely require adjustments , BUT you need to do one around 50k and then check every 15k after that. Adjustments will be needed as the bike acquires more miles. Remember, we're talking about 27 year old K bikes that are expected to go several 100k, not Japanese bikes that you throw away before 70k.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

You mean like the FJRs, Connies, Goldwings ect guys who are pulling in 100s of thousands of miles. There's so many Japanese bikes around and the prices are low enough you are going to see a lot more of them get abused and neglected compared to a Beemer.

I agree on the valve adjustment thing. Boxers with the screw and locknut adjusters can be done in 15 to 30 minutes depending on how adept you are at checking and if any adjustment is required. Very easy. It's one thing I miss about my 1150R. But the checks on my Fbike don't take very long. I can have the whole thing done (if no adjustment is required) in a few hours while enjoying my favorite tasty cold beverage.

Lucky for us we don't have the (old) Ducati check intervals or the PITA they are to adjust on most of our bikes
    2007 F800ST
    1997 DR350SE
    1978 GS1000E

3 Red Bricks
    I was just concerned that someone with an early K might misunderstand your statement:

" after the first valve check or two they won't ever go out of adjustment for as long as you have the bike"

to mean: that they won't ever go out of adjustment as long as they have the bike.

That could cause them to not regularly check their valves and do damage to their bikes.

By the way, twenty minutes to check 6 valves on a K75 if no engine spoiler. Add 7-10 min. For each one that needs to be changed.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Over the last 35 or 40 years I have had K bikes, airheads, oilheads, Kawasakis, Hondas, Suzukis and even an Allstate once. I have yet to have anything done by a dealer or a mechanic other than reset the ABS on an early K (free).
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

What, people pay someone else to work on their bike?
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Just the fact one owns a BMW, in many parts of the country, all but requires you do some of your own maintenance. My dealer is 2 3/4 hours away. Just to have them change the oil and adjust the valves would require an appointment 2-3 weeks ahead of time. Then a long day of travel and waiting.
    14 R1200GSA, 93 R100R. No car is as fun to drive as any motorcycle is to ride.