Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New Hexhead highway pegs from Ilium Works... '09 R1200 RT

New Hexhead highway pegs from Ilium Works... '09 R1200 RT

Found these by chance on the web yesterday.

In short: Anybody tried them yet?

I have struggled quite a bit with finding a good highway peg solution for the RT. Most of the ones that use the cylinder head as a mount point wouldn't be that great for me - the splayed position looks pretty uncomfortable given the wide fairing. What I've done currently is mounted some clamp-on Kuryakyn pegs on my Touratech engine guard. That's been pretty good for stretching my knees out from the achies, but they also scrape a bit too soon for my liking when they're folded out for use. This has also gotten me a bit hesitant to lean as much as I'd like to even when they're folded up. I'm in no way an aggressive rider, but I'd like to have my lean angle back for both safety margin and increased confidence.

These Ilium pegs look like they might do a nice job of curing that, but before I blow $300 (and the sunk cost of the old ones) I thought I'd see if anyone else had tried 'em out yet.
    Last edited by deilenberger; 01-31-2013 at 12:28 AM. Reason: added year/model to title
    Andy
    His: 2009 R1200 RT, in Biarritzblau
    Hers: 2008 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie

Hopefully someone that has some expierence with these will post because I would also like to know for my RT. I think one of the questions is will they work with engine bars or even the plastic engine guards. On their web site I couldn't tell what holes they were bolting these to.
    I presently have the Talon foot pegs and modified them to work with the engine bars but I wasn't really satisified with them so when I am back in the US next week I am going to modify them again and see if I can't get them to work better once more.I am going to modify the Talons to work on the lower holes rather than the top ones and this is with the engine bars in place.
    I have a thirty inch inseam and getting around all the tuperware is a problem for me.
    Mo Shaffer
    Maggie valley NC,
    St. George, BM

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar

Exclamation Yikes

$299 USD = $309 Canbucks! my gawd that seems pricey. Must be made of titanium! the posters b4, I would love to hear experience before plunking down cash. I too am looking for something to stop my knee-ache issues - especially since I am considering doing the Iron Butt thing to Redmond this year.
    Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]

Those look pretty cool. You might get more interest if the title of the thread just referred to Hexhead highway pegs. It seems from the website that the pegs are identical or nearly identical for all hexheads.

Apologies if that's wrong...., but I don't think so.
    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847

Don't think I can change the thread title... maybe a moderator can.
    Andy

Penforhire
    I e-mailed them to ask if there were any reviews I could read. No answer yet. Asked this same Q over at BMWSportTouring. So far, nobody tried them. They do look like an excellent design but at that price I'm not going to be the first to try them.

Harrington
    I would be more concerned with them dragging. They sit low.

They're higher than the setup I've currently got (see pg. 68 of this month's ON for a picture of me with my current pegs in the folded-up position) - they drag pretty near Harley-style when I've actually got them down in use. But, as I said at the start, I need something allowing me to move around a bit, or my knees pretty much make long distance rides impossible. I'm still tempted, although I think this price is pretty obscene.
    Andy

Fred Trimble
    I just clicked 'Purchase' on a set of these. I'll post a review about, oh, end of April, given the current weather in Michigan.
    Fred Trimble
    1985 K100RT
    2009 R1200RT

This place isn't owned by Billy Pilgrim is it?
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

MotorRunning
    I called Ilium and spoke with a nice fella by the name of Rod. I told him I had heard about his pegs on this forum. He told me the pegs had a 1 year warranty and also said they had a 30 day full refund policy - no questions asked, if it didn't work out for me. I assumed I would have to pay shipping to return them. I am in the midst of moving so I am going to wait, probably March, so I can take full advantage of the 30 days to test them.

It's April 23rd, y'all.

Anybody tried these highway pegs yet?
    Sharon
    '07 R1200RT (my favorite!); '12 Yamaha Super Tenere (El Gordo); '07 Suzuki DR650SE (!);
    '59 R 26 (my first)

I PM'd 35675 a month or more ago.....no response. I had the parts guy at my dealer take a look at the photos at the website and he didn't have any issues with how they were mounted (unlike the products using the cylinder head bolts).

Haven't ordered it yet, but I really want to!

I was just looking at them on line today, after seeing them in the MOA ON. I liked what I saw and read about them until I got to the price. I'm going to wait a year or so then get them from the flea market for half price.
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by r11rs94 View Post
    I'm going to wait a year or so then get them from the flea market for half price.
    But you'll miss a year's use.