Thread: Speedo change from kilometers to miles

Speedo change from kilometers to miles

I live in the States and just bought a formerly Canadian 2003 Rockster, so it reads kilometers on the speedo and odometer. If I buy a used speedo, can I simply remove one and plug in the other successfully? Will I need to change out the gearing to make it accurate? Will the canbus freak out?

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide!

Best check with the dealer.

Canbus was introduced on the 1200's
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

I am assuming that all 1150's had mechanical speedometers. I know my 04R1150RT does. It drives off of the front wheel.
    2004 R1150RT 145,700 miles
    1991 K100LT 126,700 miles
    1982 R100RT 106,900 miles
    Total 379,300 BMW miles

Quote Originally Posted by kioolt View Post
    I am assuming that all 1150's had mechanical speedometers. I know my 04R1150RT does. It drives off of the front wheel.

Not all, check the MAX fiche. There is no Speedo Hub or cable listed for the Rockster
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

Thank you. So this is an electronic speedo? It would make some sense to me for it to run off of the ABS sensor if that is the case.

If that is the case, would the same electronic input from the bike work on a US model mile calibrated speedo versus the Canadian KM calibrated speedo currently on it?

Thank you all for your help!

According to the fiche, the Rockster uses the same speedo drive as the 11S. Electronic pickup, located in the FD unit. Near, but not same as, the ABS sensor.
    http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...0&rnd=08102012

So if you want to swap out for a "miles" unit, i would look for a speedo taken off a US model Rockster.
    I think the conversion issue that will get in the way of easy adaptability is the Odo, not the speedo (that could likely be fixed with a new dial face, or mph notations on your original). Personally, i would just make marks on speedo indicating 5 or 10 mph increments for dealing with speed limits and such, and not worry about the odo reading- just do the math, if necessary.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Left Coast Rider
    I'm laying odds that you're looking at a plug-n-play scenario.

Years ago, Ducatis which were shipped into Canada came with the kilometer speedo in a separate box. The mechanic swapped the mph for km/h speedos during the PDI.

I'll wager the same applies to your bike. Of course, there's only one way to find out for certain...

Disclaimer: The use of the word "speedo" does not in any way shape or form refer to the bathing suits worn by overweight French Canadian men on Florida beaches at this time of year.

Beemer Boneyard

Speedo Units here. http://www.beemerboneyard.com/speedounits.html

There is one from a Rockster listed.
    Bob Smith
    '98 R1200C
    '80 XS850 Special
    '05 Rocket III

Thank you so far.

The dealer was not sure if the miles speedo would just plug and play.
    The suggested I call an instrument company in California who works on them. They were no help either.
    The PO put stickers on the face at each 10 MPH spot, but they faded. I can still count them, but it is not ideal.
    Still looking for confirmation before I plunk down $100 for a used speedo. (Not a bathing suit!)
    Thanks so much. The quest continues!

RK Ryder
    In Canada we must have switched speedometers from mph to kph around 1977 or '78. Our '76 Volvo came with speed and odometer in mph but a year or two later, for $5, Volvo sold us a new face plate to stick onto the existing one which showed kilometres as the predominate speed, with secondary mph. It would be helpful if BMW had something similar for your situation. Don't know why, but American beemers have both mph and kph on their speedometers but beemers destined to Canada, have only kilometres, forcing one to be reliant on GPS for speeds when travelling south of our border.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333