Thread: USB power upgrade for '86 R80RT

Hybrid View

USB power upgrade for '86 R80RT

I found this weatherproof USB power outlet from Burns Moto in Redwood City, CA, ($24.00). Now I can keep my phone and bluetooth headset charged while on the road. An added bonus was ordering the part during the Superbowl blackout and having it hand delivered to my mailbox the next day. I'm only a couple of miles from RWC but great customer service nonetheless.

http://burnsmoto.com/usb-power-socket-weatherproof.php

Name:  USB.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  113.4 KB

Alternative

Good to see some suppliers addressing the desire to have charge/recharge capabilites on (older) bikes.

On my 1994 R100RT I have a "normal" 12v cigarette outlet mounted bulkhead style in the left "glove box" and wired via a fuse to the battery. Until recently I would just plug in the regular "car" power cord for my 'phone/Scala/MP3 player. More recently I have used a simple low proflie plug/adapter that fits into the car socket yet has two USB sockets so that now I use USB/USB leads to power/charge what ever I need.
    Mark

Current - '74 TR5T : '93 R100R : '06 ST3s ~ Past - Variety of British, French, Italian, Czechoslovakian, and German bikes from the '70s, '80s and '90s

All my Airheads have battery tender leads. Looks like you just add the SAE plug and attach the USB socket where the battery tender goes: no extra leads to battery that way. What an easy option this is!

Quote Originally Posted by R100RT_Mark View Post
    Good to see some suppliers addressing the desire to have charge/recharge capabilites on (older) bikes.

On my 1994 R100RT I have a "normal" 12v cigarette outlet mounted bulkhead style in the left "glove box" and wired via a fuse to the battery. Until recently I would just plug in the regular "car" power cord for my 'phone/Scala/MP3 player. More recently I have used a simple low proflie plug/adapter that fits into the car socket yet has two USB sockets so that now I use USB/USB leads to power/charge what ever I need.
    One advantage with this system is that items can be left in the locked "glovebox." In my case the socket is mounted on the bulkhead of the left side glovebox. I do not use a large tank bag so do not have/need a flying lead to feed into it, but I think the OP's product would be a good choice if I did.
    Mark

Current - '74 TR5T : '93 R100R : '06 ST3s ~ Past - Variety of British, French, Italian, Czechoslovakian, and German bikes from the '70s, '80s and '90s

I have a couple of those with an SAE pigtail wired to them to use with my Powerlet cords.

In case anyone in Canada is looking to get one, they are on sale currently at Princess Auto for $4.99. They'll ship to US as well, but you may not end up saving much with the shipping included.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

My R80 still has the original alternator.

How much extra stuff do you think could be put on it?

Good Stuff

+1 on Burns Moto.

They made me one with the SAE plug and it's been a lifesaver.
    Two Wheel Oklahoma
    It's like a TV show, but on TV.