Thread: throttle body syncing with fieldpiece digital Manometer

throttle body syncing with fieldpiece digital Manometer

I have a buddy in the HVAC business who was showing me his fieldpiece dual-port manometer. He just purchased a more advanced manometer and offered to sell me his current model. Has anyone used the fieldpiece dual-port manometer for syncing their throttle bodies? It looks like it would do the trick

Thanks

Larry
    2000 R1100RT, 2005 R1150RT-P, 1999 R1200C

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Since all you need to do is achieve balance it will probably do the job assuming it is sensitive enough. -150 to +150 mBars is quite a range and you have to consider this is a purpose built tool for the HVAC industry and not made for synching throttle bodies.

Around here the popular tools are: (in no particular order other than my personal preference)

- Harmonizer (designed, built and sold by Grok over on ADVRider. http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ght=harmonizer This is a VERY nice tool and I have used nothing else since getting one.

- TwinMax, jumpy and sometimes pesky to zero but gets the job done. http://www.amazon.com/Twin-Max-Carb-...ywords=twinmax

- Morgan CarbTune, fine product from the boys in Belfast. http://www.carbtune.com/

- Good old mercury sticks if you can find a set. Now that mercury is all but outlawed many folks have made home made sets using transmission fluid and other such things. You can google "home made manometer" and find lots of things like these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2J_N4VVGGo
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

+1 for Harmonizer

Don't forget the home made tubes with ATF in them.
    Frugality rules.
    '04 Silver R1150RT "Big Oel". '05 Yellow KLR 650
    '00 Red Suzuki Bandit 600
    '65 Allstate/Puch 250 twingle
    "I just want somewhere to ride and food when I get there."

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff488 View Post
    Don't forget the home made tubes with ATF in them.
    Frugality rules.
    That would be the fourth option mentioned in post number two. The YouTube video shows a guy synching a four cylinder bike using home made ATF fluid manometers.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

I've been using my home made manometer for years for my airheads and my 1150GSA. It's been a good soldier and cost under $10 to make. I have to say that recently I've been looking at the Harmonizer though...

When I've put the manometer on the bikes after messing around with things and the levels are way out the fluid can bubble and move too fast and then it takes quite awhile for it to settle before I can check again. I too have heard nothing but great things about the Harmonizer product.
    '64 R50/2 - "Gone But Not Forgotten"
    '76 R90/6
    '02 R1150GS Adventure

like my carb tune very much.

carbtune with a oilhead boxer

Those of you with the Morgan Carbtune unit...How well does it work with the boxers???? I saw a youtube vid of one and it kinda seemed "bouncey" at idle.
    But I do have a KZ650 as a second bike so having the ability do sync a 4 cyl engine would be sweet!!

Your thoughts????

Perry
    Perry Brokaw
    97 R 850 R :sold
    98 R1100RTL:
    98 R1100GS: