Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Oregonians - Speed Advice

The easiest answer is to do the posted limit. Sounds dorky, maybe not as much fun as you would like, but a whole lot cheaper than donating the state general fund. As for out of state plates, never paid attention to it until the time of the stop. The state the vehicle was from just didn't matter to me, the infraction did. And the state never made an impact on whether I cited or not, the infraction did.

Now I have been through Marion county, where the rally will be, numerous times. The SO down there has a fairly large (for the area) traffic unit. According to their web site they have 9 units, motors and cars for traffic enforcement. Also says they are self funded, as in their budget comes from the money generated by their cites. This takes us back to the first sentence, if you are at or very near the posted limit and you see one of them or a trooper etc, there is not moment of panic or anything, just wave and motor on secure in the knowledge you are not doing anything to get their attention.

As for the jurisdiction between Salem and Eugene that was notorious for the freeway enforcement, that was Coburg. My understanding is that they have been talked about their enforcement activities. I used to see them all the time down there on the freeway. Since then, I have not seen them at all.

As for OSP, well, they have a whopping 300 some troopers for the entire state. Yes, I would imagine maybe more are in the valley area along I-5 than in eastern Oregon, but they are also the sole enforcement in some areas at times, so I don't know what their deployment is like. Keep in mind though that they also run fish and game trucks around too and they are just troopers assigned to wildlife enforcement but that does not mean they can't stop you just as easily. And they are a touch harder to see, most folks just aren't on the look out for dark blue trucks.

Still boils down to if you do the limit, you will not have any problems and enjoy your visit.

Oh and one other thing about Oregon, careful, Oregon law actually says no standing on your pegs. Not many LEO know about it, but some do. Oh and another thing, Oregon requires you to move over when you encounter a patrol car on the side of road on a stop is with its lights on. If you can't move over, to give a buffer of one lane, then you are to slow and move as far away as you can in your lane. This normally requires moving left if the patrol car is on the right shoulder.

See you at the rally, have a great, safe time!!
    Last edited by Sit; 02-26-2013 at 01:38 AM.
    2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
    2013 Ural Patrol - White
    2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
    2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold

Bluenoser
    As a norm on the highway in most jurisdictions you can get away with 10 % on the posted speed zone , but that doesn't apply when passing workers, within town/city limits, school zones and similar situations.

Your best guide is what is the bulk of the traffic doing, if they are passing you, you should be alright.

The bottom line is if you want to play the game you have to be willing to pay. Trust me I know how its played.
    1971 R50/5 SWB with R75/6 drivetrain
    2013 DL650

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by cycleman2 View Post

Your best guide is what is the bulk of the traffic doing, if they are passing you, you should be alright.

T
    Really? If this happens, perhaps giving up riding would be a smart option.
    Marty Hill
    12 GS black/Boxer Cup Replika

ride till you can't

Quote Originally Posted by martyhill View Post

Quote Originally Posted by cycleman2 View Post

Really? If this happens, perhaps giving up riding would be a smart option.
    I don't care if you are Marty Hill, that is funny.

PS If traffic is passing you in Atlanta, you are most likely only going 75.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Smile

Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    If you are going to eat popcorn you need some
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

In New York, you can generally go 10mph over the limit at highway speeds, and 7mph over the limit on lower speed limit roads. But, our maximum speed limit is 65mph. The Thruway was designed to be driven at 90mph on the average, but the maximum limit is 65. Even with these generous buffer limits (when compared to other states), NY still writes a lot of speeding tickets. Many speeding tickets run about $400.

In the past, towns had to hand over the revenue for speeders to the State. The town would spend the money to try the case, and would forfeit the revenue to the state. But, if the town plea bargain the case, the town would keep the revenue. But, all of this is about to change. NY is now proposing "reform" of the court process. The state now wants to prevent plea bargaining, so the NY state would get 100% of the fine money and the towns get nothing. But, the towns would still have to spend their own money to try the case, and process the tickets. This would generate another 58 million in tax revenue. Needless to say, the towns are angry. Towns are now talking about raising property taxes to make up the difference. Local residents are angry too. They now refer to police cars as, "Mobile Tax Units". Or "MTU's". The NYS Thruway recently announced that they will be ending their 60 million dollar contract with the NYS Police to enforce speed limits. A lot of turmoil and in-fighting over traffic tickets. Hard to say how it will all turn out once the dust settles.

But, it doesn't end there. Now, when you get tickets of 6 pts or more, the DMV will be assessing additional fees for 3 years for each car that you register. Some regard this as, "Tickets that keep on giving". The DMV ticket fees start at $100/yr and go up $25/yr for each pt. If alcohol or drugs are involved, or if you refuse to submit for testing, then it is another $250/yr for the 3 years.

NY State now admits that traffic tickets are all about the tax revenue they can generate.

But, it doesn't end there. New York is now changing the timing on Red Lights. The Federal standard is 1 second for every 10mph. So, in a 55mph zone, the yellow light is 5.5 seconds long. NYS DOT is now very quietly changing the 55mph zone yellow light timing to 4 seconds. That way they can write more tickets for people running red lights. NY attitude is who cares about safety, as long as we can generate more tax revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by 23217 View Post
    But, it doesn't end there. New York is now changing the timing on Red Lights. The Federal standard is 1 second for every 10mph. So, in a 55mph zone, the yellow light is 5.5 seconds long. NYS DOT is now very quietly changing the 55mph zone yellow light timing to 4 seconds. That way they can write more tickets for people running red lights. NY attitude is who cares about safety, as long as we can generate more tax revenue.
    Does New York have a high death tax too? This is the perfect way to get more people killed. New York needs to fire the Governor and a whole bunch of legislators.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

If you happen to be traveling to the rally via WA state - may I respectfully recommend that you take care to do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING - speed related, or otherwise, that would draw the attention of the local LEOs - state, county, or municipality.

Be safe, have fun (yeah I know) best regards.
    Marty in Spokane Valley, WA

'79 R65 - the rolling running project bike
    '08 R12RT - "new scoot"

The whole issue of yellow light timing started on the US DOT forum. Someone found a "loop-hole" to allow states to get around the Federal regulations. I believe that Chicago was the first to change the yellow light timing in city streets. The city was sued and lost. I believe NYS was next. So far, they haven't been sued. About a week after they changed the yellow light timing near me, there was a fatality due to the yellow light timing. A number of cars were involved. Ironically, one of the vehicles involved was a DOT vehicle. The very people who changed the yellow light timing.

It is an issue that really irks me. When people outside the area speed-up to get through the light within the 5.5 second standard, you have locals slamming on the brakes to get stopped within the real 4 seconds. It is a recipe for accidents. And, that is exactly what we are getting. We get a lot of people blowing through red lights. When it snows, it is like Russian-Roulette.

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    The part about "7 over" will buy you a ticket if you encounter a state trooper almost anywhere in Texas. Their attitude is that they give you 70, or 75, or 80, or even 85 as posted limits in rural areas and you shouldn't need to take much more than that.

4 over will get you a ticket most places, and 2 over might, or might result in a roadside chat at least.

Sheriff deputies might be a bit more tolerant but you can't count on it.
    This tight (2-4 mph) is a real concern for me since my (Canadian) RT shows Kph only so when speed zones change often I end up getting a headache just calculating the mph to go the legal speed. No, I don't own a GPS which would be a great help to show actual speed and some even warn about speed zone changes.
    Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]

Quote Originally Posted by bogthebasher View Post
    This tight (2-4 mph) is a real concern for me since my (Canadian) RT shows Kph only so when speed zones change often I end up getting a headache just calculating the mph to go the legal speed. No, I don't own a GPS which would be a great help to show actual speed and some even warn about speed zone changes.
    Your speedometer is probably dual marked for speed with the primary units for your country (kph) on the outside circle in bigger numbers. The secondary units for your country (mph) will be in smaller numbers on the inner circle.
    2004 R1150RT 145,700 miles
    1991 K100LT 126,700 miles
    1982 R100RT 106,900 miles
    Total 379,300 BMW miles

Quote Originally Posted by kioolt View Post
    Your speedometer is probably dual marked
    Nope. Motorrad's Canadian bikes are metrically pure. Even certain German cars are metrically pure.

...the secondary units...
    Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau's Liberal government of the '70's outlawed Imperial measurements (we still have acres, however, sort of). Even us Westerners have gotten used to this.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau's Liberal government of the '70's outlawed Imperial measurement.
    As did the rest of the world many years earlier. Except for one large exception. That said, my American sports car is metric.

And I can't believe that any reasonable law officer is going to take the trouble to write up a ticket for 2-4 mph over the limit. Heck, that's speedo error fer cryin' out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    As did the rest of the world many years earlier. Except for one large exception. That said, my American sports car is metric.

And I can't believe that any reasonable law officer is going to take the trouble to write up a ticket for 2-4 mph over the limit. Heck, that's speedo error fer cryin' out loud.
    I will repeat what I wrote earlier. Four over will usually get you a ticket from a Texas trooper. Two over might get a stop and chat. If a bad day, even two over might get a ticket. When the limit is 75 (120 kph) on a two-lane state highway, they are not near as lenient as in places where the dreary little limit is 55 (88 kph).

Believe it or not, at your own peril.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves