Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Oregonians - Speed Advice

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I will repeat what I wrote earlier. Four over will usually get you a ticket from a Texas trooper. Two over might get a stop and chat. If a bad day, even two over might get a ticket. When the limit is 75 (120 kph) on a two-lane state highway, they are not near as lenient as in places where the dreary little limit is 55 (88 kph).

Believe it or not, at your own peril.
    I wasn't questioning the veracity of your statement, I've just never seen or experienced enforcement to that degree - except in the little one stoplight town of Concrete, Washington where I make a point of travelling under the speed limit.

In town in Salem obey the speed limit. The LEOs keep pretty tight reins on their city. This means both I-5 through Salem and the surface streets. Also the Creswell /Drain area south of Eugene on I-5 is also watched. (DAMHIK) On the back roads just use your head, the liklihood of seeing a cop when you are way back in the sticks is pretty slim. Also on Hwy 20 west of Corvallis there is a big construction project with a very well marked "dead man's curve" (sadly aptly named) just outside of Eddyville. There is a cop there always. There are enough routes way off the main stem that can be ridden briskly that rushing through populated areas is just foolish.

Bring your wallet

I have gotten two tickets in the last 35 years, both in Oregon. The first was a "sting" where they had cameras set up and entering the intersection on a yellow cost me $225. Today I got my second summons for $260 for failing to move over a lane (which was occupied) because a trooper was sitting on the side of the road with his doors closed but his lights flashing while he was doing his paperwork on the speeding ticket he just issued. I feel both these were all about revenue production.

So in 35 years I haven't gotten a speeding ticket or any "normal" violation. The number of LEO's per mile of road is relatively low so that works in your favor but if you ride like a maniac, you deserve what you get. I feel WA patrols their road much more frequently than Oregon.

But if you find yourself at the wrong spot at the wrong time, bring your wallet!

P.S. The less populated eastern Oregon seems to recognize the revenue that rallies bring and their LEO's are more likely to give you a warning than a ticket.
    Last edited by selyab; 03-06-2013 at 02:56 AM.

For those that may be visiting Oregon....The Portland metro area, the Salem area and the Albany area are just some of the areas in the state you may encounter photo enforcement for speed and photo enforcement of red lights. Speed vans place a sign on the side of the road prior to the van warning you the van is ahead. Most intersections (if not all) also have signs warning you the intersection is photo enforced. And for those from other states, a yellow in Oregon means stop, not go like a dickens and get through the intersection.
    2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
    2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
    2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold

Retired User
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_M View Post
    Also the Creswell /Drain area south of Eugene on I-5 is also watched.
    It has always amused me that I-5, headed toward the Drain exit, is a downward spiral. Did someone on the highway commission actually have a sense of humor? I must say, I've blown through there at 80 mph. Just lucky, I guess.
    Bill Mayer
    R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by themayer View Post
    Did someone on the highway commission actually have a sense of humor?
    It must be the same funnyman who designed the east west routes through Eugene; one of the trickier navigation exercises around.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Ed Kilner #176066
    Quote Originally Posted by Sit View Post
    ...And for those from other states, a yellow in Oregon means stop, not go like a dickens and get through the intersection.
    I always thought yellow / amber meant "stop if you can". Another poster said he was ticketed entering on yellow. Can you say more about this?

Here in Ontario, Canada, a LEO can ticket you if it appears to them that you could have stopped. I've never seen that happen, and it seems that most everyone speeds through. Every time I go through and think I should have tried harder to stop, I check the rear-view mirror and see at least one, maybe two cars following me through!

Big city aggressive, I guess.
    Ed
    2011 R1200RT Thunder Gray Metallic; 2000 Triumph 900(sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

Come to Louisiana.

The rule for yellow lights here is to stomp on the gas. It means HURRY UP !!!

We also have drive-through daiquiri shops in the state. And an open container law.
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Triumphant View Post
    I always thought yellow / amber meant "stop if you can". Another poster said he was ticketed entering on yellow. Can you say more about this?

Here in Ontario, Canada, a LEO can ticket you if it appears to them that you could have stopped. I've never seen that happen, and it seems that most everyone speeds through. Every time I go through and think I should have tried harder to stop, I check the rear-view mirror and see at least one, maybe two cars following me through!

Here in Wisconsin (and the same verbiage for most other states), YELLOW is not the signal to speed up. It's a judgement call on the part of a responsible driver* (* oxymoronic comment) to slow to a stop - not some nebulus 'grace period' for however many vehicles can still fly thru before a crash finally occurs.

Statute 346.37:

(b)Yellow. When shown with or following the green, traffic facing a yellow signal shall stop before entering the intersection unless so close to it that a stop may not be made in safety.

It's been decades since Americans have driven as the law requires - we now drive pretty much any way we want, and throw a temper tandrum when caught.

Be careful out there on two wheels!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.)
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer,THE REF Staff)
    Iron Butt Association Member # 34281

The instruction/explanation you will get from most judges in traffic court is that yellow means stop unless you are of such speed and proximity to the intersection that you can not do so safely. I have heard people tell the judge that they entered on the yellow and thought they were okay. Judge usually rules otherwise depending on testimony of officer. As for the red light cameras, I believe most around my area won't fire unless you enter on the red.
    2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
    2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
    2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold

As the OP I would like to thank all of you for your replies. I think my "general advice" has been confirmed, with a few caveats: [B]1. Don't exceed the speed limit AT ALL in western Oregon, unless there are a number of Oregon plates ahead of you doing just that. 2. Assume ALL small town speed limits are rigidly enforced. 3. Stop for all yellow lights unless you are pretty certain you will be rear-ended if you do. The idea of "riding a little faster than most traffic" which many riders endorse as a safety measure, may well get you in financial trouble in Oregon. (BTW, I agree with another poster that WA state speed limits/enforcement can be just as low and enforced.)

I completely agree with Paul Glaves about the Texas approach, if I read him right. "Post a fast but safe speed - presumably safe during the day and good weather - and then enforce it. This means most traffic is going the same speed, the major criteria for fewer accidents. But, you ain't in Texas now. Staying out of trouble with the law is never dumb. There are roads in eastern Oregon where you certainly can play with speed if you wish, but "just obey the speed limits" should be your starting point. Deviate from that only when you have considered ALL the perils.

Ride safely and have a great time. See you at the rally.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Yellow means you need to clear the intersection. At least in CO, if you enter while yellow, you are good, even if turns red while still in it. Some discretion is given to road and traffic conditions for making that decision. If you enter while red, you have run thru a red light, and are ticketable. You are not supposed to speed up to get thru the yellow, but i've yet to see a ticket for doing so. However, my friend, riding a white m/c, was given a ticket for going thru a yellow (in Golden), and description was "black m/c" on the ticket. Judge upheld the ticket, told him his tires were black, so the bike was black. Jerk.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

My wife was stopped several years ago for some violation (I don't remember exactly what). She was so flustered that she gave the cop the registration for our Coleman trailer instead of for the van she was driving. He wrote it up for a 'Coleman Trlr'. The judge didn't care about that either. Go figure...
    1983 R100RS
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289
    ABC 13558

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    My thought is that most "performance awards" are deserved. If you want to go 20 mph over the posted limit in some small town in Oregon, be my guest. You'll just have to pay the local municipality's "speeding tax". If you don't want to pay the tax, don't speed. It really is that simple.

I love reading the posts where red light and speed zone cameras are treated as if they are some Orwellian plot to eliminate our freedoms. Don't want a red light camera ticket? Don't run red lights. Don't want to get a speeding ticket when in Oregon? Don't speed in Oregon. You don't need a doctorate to figure this out.

If you do want to speed in Oregon - or anywhere else for that matter - be prepared to pay the speeding tax. But don't whine about the ticket you got from the local LEO because you decided to blaze through all the small towns on your way to the rally.

I think automated traffic enforcement is a wonderful thing. It frees up LEOs to deter actual crime, eliminates the need for officers to make court appearances to explain how Johnny Crotchrocket was going 15 over the limit, and keeps our communities safer. Win-win-win.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by OfficerImpersonator View Post
    My thought is that most "performance awards" are deserved. If you want to go 20 mph over the posted limit in some small town in Oregon, be my guest. You'll just have to pay the local municipality's "speeding tax". If you don't want to pay the tax, don't speed. It really is that simple.

I love reading the posts where red light and speed zone cameras are treated as if they are some Orwellian plot to eliminate our freedoms. Don't want a red light camera ticket? Don't run red lights. Don't want to get a speeding ticket when in Oregon? Don't speed in Oregon. You don't need a doctorate to figure this out.

If you do want to speed in Oregon - or anywhere else for that matter - be prepared to pay the speeding tax. But don't whine about the ticket you got from the local LEO because you decided to blaze through all the small towns on your way to the rally.

I think automated traffic enforcement is a wonderful thing. It frees up LEOs to deter actual crime, eliminates the need for officers to make court appearances to explain how Johnny Crotchrocket was going 15 over the limit, and keeps our communities safer. Win-win-win.
    You're spot on with your common-sense approach to riding in a responsible manner.

However, in this club, you could get stoned making comments like that.

Meet me at the Amtrack station in Milwaukee at noon Friday - wear a black fedora - I will put you in touch with the Witness Protection Program for MOA members.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.)
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer,THE REF Staff)
    Iron Butt Association Member # 34281