Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New travel camera

Try this Lumix. Only complaint I ever had with my ZS20 was that dust got on the inside of the lens.

This gives up the 20x zoom but it is much more rugged.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-...anasonic+lumix

AND it comes in RED!
    Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

I had sticker shock yesterday looking at what's out there currently. Since I have the possibility of dropping it with my riding pics, want a pricepoint that will not have me freaking out IF it happens again. That weatherproof Lumix is close as is that Nikon.

Helen handed me an older Sony with a flip open/on feature for now...with a warning Her Lumix is hands off!
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

My wife and I are big Lumix fans, and have a couple of them, but after ploughing through the long camera thread in ADVrider, I got one of these:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony...shot-dsc-rx100
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by RINTY View Post
    My wife and I are big Lumix fans, and have a couple of them, but after ploughing through the long camera thread in ADVrider, I got one of these:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony...shot-dsc-rx100
    That Sony IS a nice camera, with lots of features, but I wouldn't spend $650 or thereabouts for a camera I bring on a motorcycle.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post
    That Sony IS a nice camera, with lots of features, but I wouldn't spend $650 or thereabouts for a camera I bring on a motorcycle.
    True enough, but Lowepro makes a nice, compact, padded, bag for it:

http://bagfinder.lowepro.com/lp/results

So carried in the tank bag, it's "double padded".

Actually, the Lumix is so light (158 g.) that I usually bring it along as well. I carry it in my jacket chest pocket, and don't even know it's there.
    Last edited by RINTY; 04-03-2014 at 01:58 PM.
    Rinty

True enough, but Lowepro makes a nice, compact, padded, bag for it:

http://bagfinder.lowepro.com/lp/results

So carried in the tank bag, it's "double padded".
    I actually own about a dozen camera bags. They won't keep me from dropping it after stopping at a scenic overlook. That's why I bought an Olympus Tough and why I won't take a $650 camera with me. Hope it works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post
    ...I bought an Olympus Tough...
    I checked out the review in DPReview, and that looks like an excellent choice for a bike travel camera. You can drop it 2 metres.
    Rinty

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    None of the majors make bad cameras but some are better than others, even at a given price range.

You need to decide what is important. megapixels, sensor sensitivity, zoom capability, image stabilization, or other bells and whistles like face detection, lots of settings, etc.

Panasonic is using all glass Leica lenses with long zoom ranges. My DMC ZS9 has a 16 power optical zoom and image stabilization which work very well. I have a 20"x30" print on canvas which is excellent and hanging in the living room. This is because of the quality of the lens.
    I couldn't agree more. Having done photography for a living for quite a few years people were always asking me what to get. It's not always that simple in the world of point and shoot. There have been Nikons I have just loved but others are just losers. Canon makes decent stuff but their cheaper stuff can be, well, cheaper.

A lot of what's right depends on what you like and what the situation is going to be. For example a friend just went to Africa on a safari. I recommended the Sony HX-50. It has great zoom and a nice sensor. She just got back and called to thank me profusely as it was not only a big hit for her but made many of the other safari goers envious.

Right now I am using the Sony RX100 but considering the RX10 although it's a bit larger and not inexpensive. I guess it all matters what's important to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by ItsPhilD View Post
    Having done photography for a living...Right now I am using the Sony RX100 but considering the RX10
    That's interesting, because I've read a number of comments on the photo threads, by pros and by enthusiasts, who have moved to Sony from Canon/Nikon models.
    Last edited by RINTY; 04-06-2014 at 04:40 PM.
    Rinty

I checked out the review in DPReview, and that looks like an excellent choice for a bike travel camera. You can drop it 2 metres.
    I like it because it fits in a fairing pocket too. So you don't have to keep it in your jacket pocket to have it readily available. I don't believe in keeping hard objects in your riding suit, on a get-off it can cause an injury of its own making.

One other reason to get a camera of this type is that it has an internal zoom. No long nose extending and retracting. That is a weakness that causes most failures on those big zoom types especially with any rough handling.

A standing drop is ok...a moving one not so much on the Tough
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    A standing drop is ok...a moving one not so much on the Tough
    Show me one where a moving drop is OK