Thread: R1200RT LED Supplemental Brake Light

Hybrid View

R1200RT LED Supplemental Brake Light

Wednesday I had the BMW Supplemental Brake Light added to my R1200RT. It came in handy on my first ride. I was on the way back from the dealership and a pickup truck was following way too close. The person in front of me made a last second decision to jam on the brakes and turn left. I grabbed my brakes, ABS came on, and the pickup managed to stop. Did my brake lights do the trick? I don't know for sure but it is reassuring to know that the supplemental lights are back there and blinking.
    2012 BMW R1200RT
    2010 Triumph Bonneville

na1g
    Whew! You wouldn't look good as a grille ornament on a pickup truck. Glad the supplemental brake light did its job. I've had flashing Hyperlites on my last three bikes, right next to the license plate on my RT. Like you, I think they have saved me but you can't prove it, and for the price I don't care to find out either way.

OE motorcycle brake lights are like OE motorcycle horns: they just don't work like they should.

pete
    -"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." - Oscar Wilde

I'm interested. Would you be so kind as to give us the BMW part number and price? Also, where did you get them? Thanks.

Greetings
    We also have been looking conspicuous rear lighting. These look like they might be a little over the top but work. I was thinking of using velcro that way I could move them between the mud flap and the side cases of the RT. The 8" ones should fit. These Dual Color Plasma Mega Rods should get us noticed.
    dcplasmanew_small.jpg
    Low Intensity Red Running, High Intensity Red Brake, High Intensity Yellow Turn Signal - All in one Sleek Plasma Rod
    Dual Converters Included, No Modules Required
    Wiring is a Simple as Connecting Orange Wire to Running Light, Red Wire to Brake Light, Yellow Wire to Turn, Black to Ground

Nothing said about affecting the can bus. The site is set up for the H-D riders.
    Tony
    We're not here for a long time
    We're here for a good time HUEY LEWIS

2007 R1200RT, 2003 F650CS

Led

ralwhite I would go with hyperlights, as the BMW are not very waterproof. Don't ask how I know!

true but the BMW light has a 2 year warranty so you should have gotten a replacemnt if in warranty.

Be aware that modern BMWs use a1 filament bulb for both brake and tail light and use pulse modulation to control intensity. Whatever you use has to be capable of being connected to this type of system.

Skenes P3 are brighter and larger than Hyperlights.

Some folks have adapted trucl led tail lamps from Whelen or others that are bigger and brighter than any of the above

Quote Originally Posted by Motocamper View Post
    Greetings
    We also have been looking conspicuous rear lighting. These look like they might be a little over the top but work. I was thinking of using velcro that way I could move them between the mud flap and the side cases of the RT. The 8" ones should fit. These Dual Color Plasma Mega Rods should get us noticed.
    dcplasmanew_small.jpg
    Low Intensity Red Running, High Intensity Red Brake, High Intensity Yellow Turn Signal - All in one Sleek Plasma Rod
    Wiring is a Simple as Connecting Orange Wire to Running Light, Red Wire to Brake Light, Yellow Wire to Turn, Black to Ground

Nothing said about affecting the can bus. The site is set up for the H-D riders.
    Tony
    They look awesome, but they won't work as intended on a CANbus bike. There is only one lead for the running and brake light as it is controlled via PWM (pulse width modulation)
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511
    YB #2005

Quote Originally Posted by AZgman View Post
    They look awesome, but they won't work as intended on a CANbus bike. There is only one lead for the running and brake light as it is controlled via PWM (pulse width modulation)
    Actually - depends on the CANBUS bike. R1200R has two bulbs, one for running (and license plate) one for brake. If one fails the ZFE knows it and runs the other one at half-brightness as a running light and full brightness as a brake light.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Motocamper View Post
    Greetings
    dcplasmanew_small.jpg

Tony
    I had a set of those on my Road Glide and they worked very well. I don't know that they are as bright as some of the other L.E.D. options however.

Quote Originally Posted by ralwhite View Post
    I'm interested. Would you be so kind as to give us the BMW part number and price? Also, where did you get them? Thanks.
    BMW Supplemental LED Brake Light [63210419461]

I got mine at BMW-Ducati of Charlotte. You will also need a wiring harness depending on your bike and year.
    2012 BMW R1200RT
    2010 Triumph Bonneville