Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: R1200RT LED Supplemental Brake Light

R1200RT LED Supplemental Brake Light

Wednesday I had the BMW Supplemental Brake Light added to my R1200RT. It came in handy on my first ride. I was on the way back from the dealership and a pickup truck was following way too close. The person in front of me made a last second decision to jam on the brakes and turn left. I grabbed my brakes, ABS came on, and the pickup managed to stop. Did my brake lights do the trick? I don't know for sure but it is reassuring to know that the supplemental lights are back there and blinking.
    2012 BMW R1200RT
    2010 Triumph Bonneville

na1g
    Whew! You wouldn't look good as a grille ornament on a pickup truck. Glad the supplemental brake light did its job. I've had flashing Hyperlites on my last three bikes, right next to the license plate on my RT. Like you, I think they have saved me but you can't prove it, and for the price I don't care to find out either way.

OE motorcycle brake lights are like OE motorcycle horns: they just don't work like they should.

pete
    -"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." - Oscar Wilde

I'm interested. Would you be so kind as to give us the BMW part number and price? Also, where did you get them? Thanks.

Greetings
    We also have been looking conspicuous rear lighting. These look like they might be a little over the top but work. I was thinking of using velcro that way I could move them between the mud flap and the side cases of the RT. The 8" ones should fit. These Dual Color Plasma Mega Rods should get us noticed.
    dcplasmanew_small.jpg
    Low Intensity Red Running, High Intensity Red Brake, High Intensity Yellow Turn Signal - All in one Sleek Plasma Rod
    Dual Converters Included, No Modules Required
    Wiring is a Simple as Connecting Orange Wire to Running Light, Red Wire to Brake Light, Yellow Wire to Turn, Black to Ground

Nothing said about affecting the can bus. The site is set up for the H-D riders.
    Tony
    We're not here for a long time
    We're here for a good time HUEY LEWIS

2007 R1200RT, 2003 F650CS

Led

ralwhite I would go with hyperlights, as the BMW are not very waterproof. Don't ask how I know!

true but the BMW light has a 2 year warranty so you should have gotten a replacemnt if in warranty.

Be aware that modern BMWs use a1 filament bulb for both brake and tail light and use pulse modulation to control intensity. Whatever you use has to be capable of being connected to this type of system.

Skenes P3 are brighter and larger than Hyperlights.

Some folks have adapted trucl led tail lamps from Whelen or others that are bigger and brighter than any of the above

I use these:

http://hyperlites.com/3way.html

They have a specific one that works for our CanBus RTs.
    Now: '12 R1200RT Midnight Blue Metallic / '11 Ural Patrol 2WD ridden to Alaska / '09 KLR 650 / '05 HD Heritage Softail / '08 Harley Sportster 1200C / '85 Yamaha VMax bought new. I wasn't ready to say goodbye: www.shaunlunt.typepad.com

Quote Originally Posted by Norms 427 View Post
    I use these:

http://hyperlites.com/3way.html

They have a specific one that works for our CanBus RTs.
    Yes, I saw the BMW Supplemental LED Brake Light [63210419461] on Sierra BMW's site states that they are not for use with a CanBus system which I have. The Hyperlites look they will definitely get attention.

I believe you looked at the wrong item number. I ordered the BMW unit from Sierra BMW. My RT is a 2011 so it does have the CANBUS. Here's a recap of my order from Sierra's order history. The installation was easy- plug 'n play into the unused plug under the passenger seat.

I highlighted the part number for you.

I have also used the Skene Design P3 LED lights on both an '04 R1200 CLC and an '04 RT-P and was pleased with them, but there was some use of wire splices required and I had to find a place under the front seat for the control unit and make the splices there. Either system is fine, IMO, but the BMW unit was an easier install. The only slightly difficult thing with regard to the BMW unit's installation was passing the wires through the fender.

1 x BMW Deluxe Supplemental LED CAN-bus Brake Light
    R1200RT 61000445579 $168.00

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post
    I believe you looked at the wrong item number. I ordered the BMW unit from Sierra BMW. My RT is a 2011 so it does have the CANBUS. Here's a recap of my order from Sierra's order history. The installation was easy- plug 'n play into the unused plug under the passenger seat.

I highlighted the part number for you.

I have also used the Skene Design P3 LED lights on both an '04 R1200 CLC and an '04 RT-P and was pleased with them, but there was some use of wire splices required and I had to find a place under the front seat for the control unit and make the splices there. Either system is fine, IMO, but the BMW unit was an easier install. The only slightly difficult thing with regard to the BMW unit's installation was passing the wires through the fender.

1 x BMW Deluxe Supplemental LED CAN-bus Brake Light
    R1200RT 61000445579 $168.00
    Got it. Thanks.

Here's a couple pictures of the BMW LED light on my wife's K1300S.
    The light stays on as a running. When you apply the brakes the light flashes for a second or two, then goes to a steady brake light.

Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

If you buy or mail order the BMW light for CANBUS you will receive ZERO instructions.

How to wire this may have been posted here previously, but I'm not certain. I'd have it dealer installed.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by ralwhite View Post
    I'm interested. Would you be so kind as to give us the BMW part number and price? Also, where did you get them? Thanks.
    BMW Supplemental LED Brake Light [63210419461]

I got mine at BMW-Ducati of Charlotte. You will also need a wiring harness depending on your bike and year.
    2012 BMW R1200RT
    2010 Triumph Bonneville

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    If you buy or mail order the BMW light for CANBUS you will receive ZERO instructions.

How to wire this may have been posted here previously, but I'm not certain. I'd have it dealer installed.
    You are quite right. I had the dealer install mine.
    2012 BMW R1200RT
    2010 Triumph Bonneville

I like the Skene Design P3s. Bright, easy to install, programmable flash patterns, CANBUS friendly and no waterproof issues.
    Craig
    New York's Hudson Valley Region
    2009 R1200RT
    MOA #146131 IBA #55715