Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fianally - R1200 C

congrats and enjoy it!

JohnWC
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    1. You have purchased one of the ugliest motorcycles to have ever come out of Germany. But that's just my opinion.
    I know people say that about that machine. In fact when I first saw one, the same idea passed briefly through my mind. But over the years I have heard nothing but good about them. People who own them seem very loyal, and really like them. I have come around to thinking that they are actually a very good bike to have. They seem to be especially good at cruising the expressways at high speed. And I may be mistaken, but I thought they had more storage space than my RT has. Sounds like you got a great deal on a really useful machine.

Left Coast Rider
    Hey Folks,

Please do not interpret my earlier comment to mean that I think the 1200C is not a good motorcycle. I have zero experience with them but everyone who has one seems to love theirs so that's a positive statement on its own.

I just wish the factory had included a paper bag to put over one's head to preserve your anonymity when riding it. Yes, I'm KIDDING.

You've got a great bike - enjoy it. I predict it will get you more compliments than criticism. Chromeheads.org is a good source of info for all matters relating to the "C" from philosophy to mechanics.

R/Jim
    '04 R1200C Montauk

Hope you live long and prosper on your "C". That said I think it is BMWs red headed stepchild. They dumped it because it didn't sell. It didn't sell because it was perceived as an underpowered chromed lead sled.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

Quote Originally Posted by mkmd555 View Post
    First of all I have to thank you for welcoming me to this august forum. In the past your ideas have been immensely helpful when I had a R1500 R back in 2008 ( for some reason my old posts have been lost).

To my eyes the bike is pretty. The judges must have seen some merit when they placed this bike at the Guggenheim museum in NYC in the "Art of Motorcycle" display. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_the_Motorcycle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...cle_exhibition

Few questions:

1. Is the HP too low, something to worry about during touring.

2. Can you explain what a torque curve means to a rider?

Thanks

ZomZoom
    I've never ridden a C but am confident in saying the HP is nothing to worry about. I've had an R1100RS for 19 years and I'm sure they are similar.

Torque is what you feel pushing you when you open the throttle and most people who speak of a torque curve (in favorable terms) are saying the engine pushes the bike plenty hard starting from low revs.

Look up Bimota Mantra if you want to see ugly. IMHO

2 Ugly 4 LA, 2 Dumb 4 NY gussie54's Avatar
    1. You have purchased one of the ugliest motorcycles to have ever come out of Germany. But that's just my opinion.
    (Having said that, you need to post a picture of it in the, uh, Post a Picture of Your Oilhead section here)

2. Yes.
    Nothing like crapping all over a guy's new bike...

Your R1200C was representing BMW in the Guggenheim's "Art of the Motorcycle" show. Plus, James Bond rode one, and, to my knowledge, he never rode anything ugly!

Enjoy the ride.
    Be brave, right through, and leave for the unknown.
    Rabindranath Tagore

Congrats and lots of safe, fun riding! No need to apologize for buying the C! I had a 2001 "C" and a 2004 "CLC".
    They are beautiful and will get you lots of attention. Even Harley guys will look it over and compliment it's looks, when they are alone, but not when they're with other Harley guys!

chromeheads.org is a very very great group of guys and gals. Check the archives there first if you have a question. They had problems with the chrome flaking off the rims, but I never saw a problem with the valve covers. Harley people also complained about their chrome plating back in those days ( late 90s - early 2000s ) due to the environmentally friendly mandated process.

You mentioned New Jersey. Is that where you are located?

Ciao!
    George

R1200CLC experience

Who cares what it looks like. Simply say, "I didn't buy it to suit you!" and let it go at that. I have over 75K on my 2004 R1200CLC, and I don't think it's underpowered. Torque curve comes in about 2K rpm, pulls strongly, and cruises at 60 mph in 6th at 2500 rpm. Gets nearly 50 mpg on trips, if you ride without winding out in lower gears. Doesn't seem to matter whether you are riding 2 up or loaded, either. I recommend using premium fuel to lessen spark knock. The only problem I have had with my bike was the final drive failure after 36K, but my dealer split the replacement cost, and you can't ask for more than that b/c it was out of warranty. Only other problem was a failure to start b/c the induction tubes from air box to throttle body had pulled loose. If you notice a lot of backfiring, check those and retighten. I would use StarTron fuel stabilizer over any other for winter storage or infrequent riding, and the only two accessories I have added were Motolights and an AirHawk seat cusion. Big, comfortable, stable at speed, responds to light steering input, gets good mileage. 'Nuff said.

When I was first shopping BMW's I lusted after the R1200C. I eventually ended up buying a R1150R, but I still have a soft spot for the C. They didn't sell well because BMW was clueless about how to market them (no real surprise there).
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

You have purchased one of the ugliest motorcycles to have ever come out of Germany. But that's just my opinion.
    OTOH the best looking "cruiser" ever.

You won't have to wait long for the next one from BMW.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

C update

I too looked for just the right C, thought I had one and it got away. Ended up with a R 1150 RT. Saw one today in Orlando and thought about how I would have liked the ride. And I'm in the camp that thinks it's a classy look. Keep us up to date on how you like the C.

I have an HD friend that says my R 1100 RT is "really funny looking".

To each their own.

Enjoy your new ride. If it works for what you want to do, who cares what others may say.

Being "detuned" it certainly isn't being stressed and should last a long, long time.

Those who own them are certainly loyal owners. So a lot of folks are happy to ride them.

Did I miss the picture??????

Let us know where you have been on your new ride.
    Ride Well, Ride Often, Ride to

Charter Member "High Town" crew.

2 Ugly 4 LA, 2 Dumb 4 NY gussie54's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sibud View Post
    I have an HD friend that says my R 1100 RT is "really funny looking".
    Some people's children...

Where I grew up there were only three things *off limits*:
    1) Telling someone their mama was ugly;
    2) Telling someone their GF or wifey was ugly;
    3) Telling someone their ride was ugly.

Apparently, some didn't get that memo. (This includes my brother-in-law.)
    Maybe they were hall monitors in grade school?

Anyhoo - congrats on yer Cruiser!
    Be brave, right through, and leave for the unknown.
    Rabindranath Tagore

Donmystic1

1200 C's

What years were they produced and about how many were made.
    Why did BMW stop production ?

Don