Thread: Benefits of synthetic oil?

Hybrid View

Hammam

Benefits of synthetic oil?

I know, I know... But I swear I've been searching for this precise question for countless minutes without finding. So, please forgive me, and here goes: in what should synthetic oil be better (for a 1200 RT at least) than mineral of half-synthetic? If it is actually better for some reason or reasons, I want to make sure to know if and when I ask my dealer to change for it.

Thank you for your patience and knowledge.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Not sure where you are, but here in Vermont I'll ride down to the single digits above zero provided the roads are clear. Synthetic flows better at those temps.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Hammam
    Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    Not sure where you are, but here in Vermont I'll ride down to the single digits above zero provided the roads are clear. Synthetic flows better at those temps.
    I'm in Montreal (Stowe is one my favorite riding destinations) and I usually ride until early December at around 2?? or 3?? C. Better flowing at low temperaures is already one good thing to know. Thanks.

An internet search will give you more information than you can absorb.

Off the top of my head (which I myself sometimes question of late), Synthetic resists break down due to high temps, thus can be run for extended mileage.
    Flows better in cold conditions, does not evaporate as easily as dino oil, resistance to oxidation & sludge, reports of longer engine life, and more horsepower in
    certain engines.

Ken
    IBA #44567
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

If you're concerned about heat or cold, synthetics hands down.

If you're concerned about oil consumption, synthetics hands down.

If you're concerned about the cost of motor oil, synthetics hands down (change it less often safely).

If you care not at all about anything, dino will pour right in, too.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Hammam
    Thank you for these eloquent comments. So, synthetic it will be. Now, is 13,000 kms (8,000 miles) considered enough break-in to go to synthetic?