Thread: Petro Canada fuel and R1200 RT

Petro Canada fuel and R1200 RT

There is only one fuel company in Canada that offers the 95 Pon (98 Ron) octane rating recommended by BMW as the best for our twin boxers and that is Petro Canada (and Sunoco in the US.) Now, Petro Can. 98 has an additive called Tactrol. Can somebody tell me if this is bad for our engines? I heard the chief mechanic at my dealer's say it was crap and to stay away from it, but I'd like a second opinion. Thank you.

That stuff is supposed to clean the engine and, I assume, the fuel injection.
    Also, if a PetroCanada station is not selling 94 octane, then the 91 is ethanol free.
    That which the Fascists hate above all else, is intelligence.
    Miguel de Unamuno

Quote Originally Posted by walterK75 View Post
    That stuff is supposed to clean the engine and, I assume, the fuel injection.
    Also, if a PetroCanada station is not selling 94 octane, then the 91 is ethanol free.
    Is there ethanol in Petro Can. 94 on top of Tactrol?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammam View Post
    There is only one fuel company in Canada that offers the 95 Pon (98 Ron) octane rating recommended by BMW as the best for our twin boxers and that is Petro Canada (and Sunoco in the US.) Now, Petro Can. 98 has an additive called Tactrol. Can somebody tell me if this is bad for our engines? I heard the chief mechanic at my dealer's say it was crap and to stay away from it, but I'd like a second opinion. Thank you.
    What part of Canada? The west has Chevron with the high test and techron.

I don't go to Petro Can, it is owned by China! Research it.

Quote Originally Posted by LVERMIERE View Post

I am in Quebec.

I have no reason to believe that Petro Can. is owned by China. I'd be more than happy if you could point me to that information. And even if it was, so what? You have any idea of the number of companies in you every day life that are owned by foreign conglomorates? This global economy, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammam View Post
    Is there ethanol in Petro Can. 94 on top of Tactrol?
    That is how I understand it. I wrote to PetroCanada and asked them about their gas. Up to 10% ethanol in all gas if they are selling the 94 octane at the station. If no 94 octane, then the 91 octane is ethanol free. Tractrol seems to be in all the gas at all stations. If you want further information, or possible corrections to this, you can write to Petrocanada. They could give you more information about Tractrol also.
    That which the Fascists hate above all else, is intelligence.
    Miguel de Unamuno

Quote Originally Posted by LVERMIERE View Post

Good afternoon,

I am not trying to start a flame, but I really wish people wouldn't make comments that are full of BS. Petro Canada was owned by the Canadian Federal Government till it was sold to Suncor Energy. Yes, the Chinese have money invested in Suncor as they do in every other Oil & Gas company. Nexen Energy is owned by CNOCC (China National Offshore Oil Corporation).
    This is totally irrelevant to the octane rating needed to make our R1200 run better.
    Rick MacPherson
    Success is Not a Destination, But a Journey.
    Accredited Motorcycle Appraiser
    1968 BSA Starfire, 1976 BMW R75/6, 2009 R1200RT

The Canadian version of Sunoco, now Petro-Canada always had ethanol in the 94 octane. Where I am in Ontario, Shell, and a few independents are the only stations without ethanol in the premium fuel. I try to get most of my fuel from a small independent in Markdale ON who has all grades of fuel without ethanol. I've run the Shell 91 or the Dairy Daughter's almost exclusively in the RT and the Turbo and they seem to love it.

As with all fuel threads, YMMV and your experience may differ from mine.
    Dave...

----------------
    05 R1200 RT
    83 XN85 D Turbo

RK Ryder
    I have always tried to use Shell V Power in Ontario as the pump says that it is ethanol free. When speaking to a mechanic at the January Toronto Bike Show, he said that as of 2013, Shell V Power is ethanol free in all provinces. I'll be checking the stats at the other provinces' Shell stations this summer.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

the-oz-slider

Fuel

Ionly use Shell in all my vintage bikes, cars, trucks and R1200gs and have no intention of changing whilever they dont put that ethanol crap in their petrol...
    Al