Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Solo Touring?

Touring Jarhead jeepinbanditrider's Avatar
    Generally it's the only way I travel unless I'm with my dad. He's the only one I can ride with and not feel like I'm being slowed down or having to extend myself beyond my capabilities to keep up with.

I stop when I want, sleep when I want, wake up when I want, ect without any outside input other than what I put on myself.
    2007 F800ST
    1997 DR350SE
    1978 GS1000E

Douglas Williams
    Quote Originally Posted by 119240 View Post
    Put your ICE - In Case of Emergency - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_case_of_emergency info on your helmet & blood type.
    Ditto GeorgeK1200RS thoughts as well. Other things follow weather reports & drink water - and depending on where you go, for people or animals carry bear mace.

My wife bought these wrist bands for us. All your information is available without having to carry a lot. You can record drugs, allergies, ice contact. whatever. It is a $10 annual subscription.

https://www.myroadid.com/
    Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away

JoeDabbs
    I prefer solo touring. Sometimes, you meet other riders at gas stations and team up for parts of the journey. I enjoy the solitude and time to think. When I ride with others, I am distracted as to where they are, and when they have to stop. It's easier to plan when going solo. You're on your own schedule. If you want to take a side trip and explore, you're free to do so.
    Joe Dabbs
    2011 RT
    1975 R60/6

I think I'm sold for all the same reasons that I prefer to ride by myself on day rides...start when you want...stop when you want...change the itinerary whenever you like...ride 12 or 20 hours depending on how I feel...not worry about anyone's happiness but my own. I guess I'll just have to take lots of pictures if I see something good. My wife is going to freak out though. I like the tip about the ICE info on the helmet. I have it on my phone default screen, but the helmet is a good spot if you're unconscious.

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by hondarider View Post
    I think I'm sold for all the same reasons that I prefer to ride by myself on day rides...start when you want...stop when you want...change the itinerary whenever you like...ride 12 or 20 hours depending on how I feel...not worry about anyone's happiness but my own. I guess I'll just have to take lots of pictures if I see something good. My wife is going to freak out though.
    Let us know your satisfaction or dissatisfaction when you return from the solo ride to our Maritimes.

As for your wife, onesuite, offers very reasonable phones calls home without exorbitant charges. I call home most nights to let my wife know that it was a good ride that day. I keep an American phone with me for my travels in your country to beat expensive phone calls.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Solo Touring?

80% of my travels are solo, what if learn from my mistakes

Smile at everyone

Keep your sense of humour

Carry extra gas

Carry extra water

Spot with tracking is you families best friend

Skype & wifi is a good thing

It's a lot like sailing, it's about the journey, not the destination

Many good comments and much advice. In forty year I have less than 1000 miles touring with anyone else intentionally. That said I don't know how to define solo touring. I ride alone most of the time but find I meet the most incredible people along the way. In some cases these people ride with me for short periods of time.

For me the best thing about solo touring is "wondering" about. I wonder what is at the end of an interesting side road and go find out. Wonder about something I find along the way, some thing to see - someone to meet and I can find out.

Cages are great for the family and more but riding and solo touring is best left as something we do alone together.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Thumbs up

EDIT:
    I'm not so much a loner that I'm averse to traveling with others, yet not concerned about heading out alone. I've had as much fun in groups or with friends as
    I've had solo.

Nova Scotia is so amazing. I'd do it again any way possible. Look at a solo trip as a recon run. Take the wife back for some quality time, and you'll have it dialed in, with no worries about her comfort, where to stay, eat, stop, etc.

If I had it to do over, I'd give Nova Scotia more time.
    Cabot Trail-Give it three days, and ride it every which way but loose. We stayed at the Maven Gyspy B&B.
    Any questions PM me and I'll offer any info I can to help with your planning. I got all kinds of info from folks here and at ADVrider.
    A digital camera and a small tripod and you can photograph yourself anywhere. Pix pix pix, or it didn't happen!

As one poster above pointed out, life is tenuous. Live without regret. Take the trip. Sometimes you get a sweet moment while solo that you wouldn't necessarily get if there are others around you. My most recent solo trip (last November) included a quite secluded run up the Blue Ridge Parkway & Skyline Drive.
    Last edited by bmwrider88; 02-22-2013 at 06:29 PM.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

Been planning a trip to Nova Scotia all winter long for late June, but my riding buddy can't get the time off from work. I'm really looking forward to the trip so I'm considering just doing it solo. I ride alone all the time on day rides, but I've never gone on an extended solo trip. Not sure if I'll get bored with only the voices in my head to keep me company. Even worse...what if I see something super cool and there's nobody else to witness it? What if I see Bigfoot? What if I crash into a ditch and lay there for hours before anyone notices the vultures circling? Anybody with a solo touring tale...good or bad? I've seen some excellent ride reports on ADVrider.
    I have traveled most my trips alone. Over the last 10-12 years in particular. Most my friends are married, and now raising g/kids . There is some advantage to it. Leave when ya want, stop when ya want, see what ya want along the way. There is the accident thing, but hell we all roll-the-dice every day. I recommend ya give it a try, I think you'll discover you like it. Don't get me wrong, I miss my pals..but they chose their life & I chose mine, and motorcycle travel is what i like, so now i go it alone.

BTW two of my pals were taken by cancer...way too early. Squeeze all the joy ya can out of everyday!

Smile

Nothing brings back memories better than a camera. Todays cameras (digital) come in all sizes and store HD photos on SD or mini SD cards. I recently purchased a HERO II and plan to use it as I travel to the rally in Salem, OR and back. This camera along with many others can also record record video & sound. I agree that its wonderful to share something like the Grand Conyon in the moment. Pictures allow you to recall those moments. I prefer to ride solo when traveling long distance as I can set my own pace and timetable.

RIDE SAFE
    Last edited by Rpbump; 03-02-2013 at 05:16 AM.
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

My wife is going to freak out though. .

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned a SPOT tracker. When my husband was planning his 6 week journey from Delaware to Prudhoe Bay, AK, this was my only requirement. I was able to log on during the day and see where they were and if they were moving. At the end of the day, he would use it to send me a text message to say that they arrived safely.

I was telling my friend and a neighbor about it and they insisted I add them to my SPOT tracker list so that when I did my solo trip, they could follow along and know that I was also OK. Prior to that, I hadn't given it much thought but it does provide piece of mind to those you are leaving behind.

Been planning a trip to Nova Scotia all winter long for late June.....
    I've already commented on this but wanted to add that our trip to Nova Scotia last year was in mid June. It was surprising how few people were up there at that time of year. We had the Cabot Trail pretty much to ourselves, Bar Harbor/Cadillac Mtn (we rode up from PA) was basically empty. Everywhere, in general, tourist traffic was light. Some of the motels and B&Bs were just getting open for the summer. It made for some really great motorcycling.

The most crowded place we rode was the Kancamagus Highway- on a sunny Saturday somewhere near the Laconia Bike Week thing, and there were bikes and people everywhere. Still, tho- it didn't suck!

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    ...... but my biggest disappointment while traveling solo is when you find yourself standing in front of something truly epic...whether the Grand Canyon or a Giant Sequoia or Niagara Falls...and there's nobody there to share the experience. Nobody for you to say "Holy Crap! Just look at that!"...and nobody to say to you in 20 years "Remember that week we rode the entire PCH from end to end?" or "remember that time in Vermont when you hit that turkey at 50 mph and managed to stay upright?" I have no doubt about my ability to hop on the bike and travel to any address in North America...I'm just on the fence about whether I'll enjoy it as much by myself as when I travel with friends...or even new acquaintances.
    I remember that particular 'alone' moment and it really did change my life somewhat dramatically after that. On that trip that I mentioned earlier on that /5, I was sitting in my tent at the Missoula rally in '98, evening with some small hail falling and I was watching lightening off in the distance between to peaks of the mountains. I was boiling some rice and watching the light show in the hills, hoping that my make shift tarp would hold, when I realized that I had noone to share this spectacular moment with. It was at that moment that I resolved to at least make my journeys a two-up or other partner arrangement in the future and that's what happened. Had some very special times since then. Still not a group person but that sharing part is indeed special. Doesn't resolve your conflict but I do understand what you mean. We now have well over 10,000 pictures to prove it - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Quote Originally Posted by Newstar View Post
    Someone earlier in the thread mentioned a SPOT tracker. When my husband was planning his 6 week journey from Delaware to Prudhoe Bay, AK, this was my only requirement. I was able to log on during the day and see where they were and if they were moving. At the end of the day, he would use it to send me a text message to say that they arrived safely.

I was telling my friend and a neighbor about it and they insisted I add them to my SPOT tracker list so that when I did my solo trip, they could follow along and know that I was also OK. Prior to that, I hadn't given it much thought but it does provide piece of mind to those you are leaving behind.
    I have done a lot of solo travel in a 4wd and will soon be doing some on my F800GS. I have a SPOT ans they are very handy for tracking, but reviews I have seen from folks who had to use the emergency feature vary. If you are going to be going well off the beaten path a PLB (personal locator beacon) is a good idea as well. I carry one in addition to my SPOT and hope to never use it, but when activated it uses the military satellite system and will bring the cavalry to your location.
    --
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light
    '13 F800GS

Quote Originally Posted by tourunigo View Post
    I remember that particular 'alone' moment and it really did change my life somewhat dramatically after that. On that trip that I mentioned earlier on that /5, I was sitting in my tent at the Missoula rally in '98, evening with some small hail falling and I was watching lightening off in the distance between to peaks of the mountains. I was boiling some rice and watching the light show in the hills, hoping that my make shift tarp would hold, when I realized that I had noone to share this spectacular moment with. It was at that moment that I resolved to at least make my journeys a two-up or other partner arrangement in the future and that's what happened. Had some very special times since then. Still not a group person but that sharing part is indeed special. Doesn't resolve your conflict but I do understand what you mean. We now have well over 10,000 pictures to prove it - Bob
    I think the trick is to balance your life, having just as many "isn't-that-amazing-moments" WITH somebody as you have solo. Or at least don't let there be any great disparity between the two.