Thread: Solo Touring?

Hybrid View

HONDARIDER

Solo Touring?

Been planning a trip to Nova Scotia all winter long for late June, but my riding buddy can't get the time off from work. I'm really looking forward to the trip so I'm considering just doing it solo. I ride alone all the time on day rides, but I've never gone on an extended solo trip. Not sure if I'll get bored with only the voices in my head to keep me company. Even worse...what if I see something super cool and there's nobody else to witness it? What if I see Bigfoot? What if I crash into a ditch and lay there for hours before anyone notices the vultures circling? Anybody with a solo touring tale...good or bad? I've seen some excellent ride reports on ADVrider.

Never stopped me. Until the wife all my trips have been by my self. Except weekend trips and couple time meeting other riders going the same way for a couple days.
    1975 R90/6, 1980 and 1982 R65, !959 TR3A Triumph Car

Rally Rat
    I like solo touring, especially if I'm in a hurry.

2012 Cross Country Solo

2012.jpg

No great stories from that trip, but then I didn't really slow down long enough.

Rally Rat
    If you're worried about crashing and getting stranded alone, get a location track like the Spot Tracker.

Buy the extra Track Progress service and combine it with SpotWalla and your friends can see your location in almost real time.

http://http://www.bmwmoa.org/news/ride_stories/discovering_the_joy_of_solo_travel

Here is a link to an article I wrote on this very topic.

Solo touring

On my first solo tour, I was 1500 miles from home when an idiot turned left in front of me and totaled my bike. I was scared, alone, but not seriously injured. I now have a good story to tell and would do it again in a heartbeat. In fact, I have. I don't mind riding with 1 or 2 others but prefer to ride alone. I can stop when I want, where I want, or not at all. Go for it.
    IBA Number 49673
    Moore OK
    http://lngrdr.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Newstar View Post
    http://http://www.bmwmoa.org/news/ride_stories/discovering_the_joy_of_solo_travel

Here is a link to an article I wrote on this very topic.
    Great article, Newstar. It is inspiring and your adventure sounds exciting. Thanks for sharing.

Daniel aka "Danners" aka 189928

Quote Originally Posted by hondarider View Post
    what if I see something super cool and there's nobody else to witness it? What if I see Bigfoot? What if I crash into a ditch and lay there for hours before anyone notices the vultures circling?
    What if you listen to the voices in your head, decide not to go solo or even not at all? Prepare, prepare, prepare. You'll be fine.
    1985 R80RT/ 2002 R1150GSA
    IBA # 44032

Solo Touring?

80% of my travels are solo, what if learn from my mistakes

Smile at everyone

Keep your sense of humour

Carry extra gas

Carry extra water

Spot with tracking is you families best friend

Skype & wifi is a good thing

It's a lot like sailing, it's about the journey, not the destination

Many good comments and much advice. In forty year I have less than 1000 miles touring with anyone else intentionally. That said I don't know how to define solo touring. I ride alone most of the time but find I meet the most incredible people along the way. In some cases these people ride with me for short periods of time.

For me the best thing about solo touring is "wondering" about. I wonder what is at the end of an interesting side road and go find out. Wonder about something I find along the way, some thing to see - someone to meet and I can find out.

Cages are great for the family and more but riding and solo touring is best left as something we do alone together.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Thumbs up

EDIT:
    I'm not so much a loner that I'm averse to traveling with others, yet not concerned about heading out alone. I've had as much fun in groups or with friends as
    I've had solo.

Nova Scotia is so amazing. I'd do it again any way possible. Look at a solo trip as a recon run. Take the wife back for some quality time, and you'll have it dialed in, with no worries about her comfort, where to stay, eat, stop, etc.

If I had it to do over, I'd give Nova Scotia more time.
    Cabot Trail-Give it three days, and ride it every which way but loose. We stayed at the Maven Gyspy B&B.
    Any questions PM me and I'll offer any info I can to help with your planning. I got all kinds of info from folks here and at ADVrider.
    A digital camera and a small tripod and you can photograph yourself anywhere. Pix pix pix, or it didn't happen!

As one poster above pointed out, life is tenuous. Live without regret. Take the trip. Sometimes you get a sweet moment while solo that you wouldn't necessarily get if there are others around you. My most recent solo trip (last November) included a quite secluded run up the Blue Ridge Parkway & Skyline Drive.
    Last edited by bmwrider88; 02-22-2013 at 06:29 PM.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

Been planning a trip to Nova Scotia all winter long for late June, but my riding buddy can't get the time off from work. I'm really looking forward to the trip so I'm considering just doing it solo. I ride alone all the time on day rides, but I've never gone on an extended solo trip. Not sure if I'll get bored with only the voices in my head to keep me company. Even worse...what if I see something super cool and there's nobody else to witness it? What if I see Bigfoot? What if I crash into a ditch and lay there for hours before anyone notices the vultures circling? Anybody with a solo touring tale...good or bad? I've seen some excellent ride reports on ADVrider.
    I have traveled most my trips alone. Over the last 10-12 years in particular. Most my friends are married, and now raising g/kids . There is some advantage to it. Leave when ya want, stop when ya want, see what ya want along the way. There is the accident thing, but hell we all roll-the-dice every day. I recommend ya give it a try, I think you'll discover you like it. Don't get me wrong, I miss my pals..but they chose their life & I chose mine, and motorcycle travel is what i like, so now i go it alone.

BTW two of my pals were taken by cancer...way too early. Squeeze all the joy ya can out of everyday!

Been planning a trip to Nova Scotia all winter long for late June.....
    I've already commented on this but wanted to add that our trip to Nova Scotia last year was in mid June. It was surprising how few people were up there at that time of year. We had the Cabot Trail pretty much to ourselves, Bar Harbor/Cadillac Mtn (we rode up from PA) was basically empty. Everywhere, in general, tourist traffic was light. Some of the motels and B&Bs were just getting open for the summer. It made for some really great motorcycling.

The most crowded place we rode was the Kancamagus Highway- on a sunny Saturday somewhere near the Laconia Bike Week thing, and there were bikes and people everywhere. Still, tho- it didn't suck!
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

Aloha ka kou
    I'm planning to ride there beginning June, from Charleston, SC, then to the BMW rally in Salem, OR. Maybe we'll cross paths somewhere in Nova Scotia this June.
    Surfajoe
    K1200RS
    R1200RT