Thread: Which RT should I choose

Hybrid View

mkmd555

Which one should I choose

Friends:
    I am back on the forum after a a hiatus of several years. Needless to say I have been flirting with HD ElectraGlide and a Yamaha FJR.

Now, I have decided to buy a BMW oilhead again, and here are the 2 choices. Which one has more merit.

1. 2002 BMW RS 30,000 miles

2. BMW 2004 r1150rt 77,000 miles

Thanks in advance.

M Khan
    Last edited by mkmd555; 02-20-2013 at 03:00 AM.

Welcome back!

The RS and RT look and feel different. Thus, for me, the answer is "whichever one you like."
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Just get the RS!!!!!! RT's are a dime a dozen compared to the RS.

And.... the RS is way better looking ( in my not so humble opinion).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "all things in moderation - including moderation"

mkmd555
    When I posted the question I was under the impression that both bikes are the same.

Innocently, I posted the question hoping to find direction helping me chose between year or miles. Are low miles important or late model year.

I did not realize that there is more than miles and year.

Please send in your pearls.

M Khan

Quote Originally Posted by mkmd555 View Post
    When I posted the question I was under the impression that both bikes are the same.

Innocently, I posted the question hoping to find direction helping me chose between year or miles. Are low miles important or late model year.

I did not realize that there is more than miles and year.

Please send in your pearls.
    Although built on a similar platform, they're not the same: the RT and the RS look and feel different. Which design appeals to you? If one does, that's your #1.

If you're really indifferent to the variance, we're still going to disappoint you: each bike's condition and its maintenance history are both significantly more important than its age and miles. Without much more detailed info about each candidate, we're all just guessing.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Rally Rat
    The RS is a little sportier than the RT. Not a sportbike by a long stretch, but a little sportier. That being said, no way in hell I'd buy that RS unless I was able to pull the starter and inspect the clutch splines.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Depends what you want to do with your motorcycle. Like two fine pairs of shoes they both will fit real nice but depends how often, far and where you walk type of thing.

Long distance frequent sustained touring? Get the RT.

Some touring but mostly medium distance rides with lots of one day blasts out in the country? Get the RS.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Wanderer View Post
    Depends what you want to do with your motorcycle. Like two fine pairs of shoes they both will fit real nice but depends how often, far and where you walk type of thing.

Long distance frequent sustained touring? Get the RT.

Some touring but mostly medium distance rides with lots of one day blasts out in the country? Get the RS.
    i will thoroughly disagree on this assessment purportedly based on suitability for touring. Both bikes are fine touring mounts, they just do it with a slightly different "flavor". ride position of the RS is slightly more forward-lean aggressive than is the RT's "sit-up-and-beg" posture. The RT gives you more fairing- superior in colder/wetter weather, less desirable as temps increase and weather conditions improve. RT is a bit heavier/bulkier, and the larger fairing means more time/$ wehn it comes to adjustments and repairs. The basic platforms are not radically different, both will burn up back roads with equal aplomb, and both will tour in equal, but different, style and comfort.
    HappyW- if you really believe that an RS is not quite up to touring demands, i suggest you have a conversation with Voni about Big Red.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

No longer a member here
    Ergonomics are a big issue and a deciding factor, definitely. But I have my doubts the RS is in the original condition. If it is, it is probably one of two in the U.S. that are. Most have been modified with footpeg relocation kits, handlebar risers and higher windshields.
    The mileage is an important point tand that speaks for the RS.
    The year speaks for the RT. It has a dual plug motor and a 6-speed (does the 2002 RS???)

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    i will thoroughly disagree on this assessment purportedly based on suitability for touring. Both bikes are fine touring mounts, they just do it with a slightly different "flavor". ride position of the RS is slightly more forward-lean aggressive than is the RT's "sit-up-and-beg" posture. The RT gives you more fairing- superior in colder/wetter weather, less desirable as temps increase and weather conditions improve. RT is a bit heavier/bulkier, and the larger fairing means more time/$ wehn it comes to adjustments and repairs. The basic platforms are not radically different, both will burn up back roads with equal aplomb, and both will tour in equal, but different, style and comfort.
    HappyW- if you really believe that an RS is not quite up to touring demands, i suggest you have a conversation with Voni about Big Red.
    BMW designates the RS or 'ReisesportÔÇÖ (travel sport) and the RT or 'Reise-Tourer' for good reason IMO.
    The OP is looking for opinions so I gave him mine.

I would prefer to tour on an RT if that is what I did all the time. I would prefer the RS for short to medium rides. That to me means one to a few days. For anything longer like out there for a week or more on my bike I would prefer an RT. Not saying you either types of riding on either bike but rather it is just a matter of preference in riding position. As for Voni's exploits on an RS well, they are extraordinary to say the least and have absolutely nothing to do with the question at hand.

edit: Turns out the question at hand is a moot one anyway since the OP went out and bought a 1200CL.

Your application may vary, all standard disclaimers apply. My opinion is worth exactly what it cost you.
    Last edited by Happy Wanderer; 02-21-2013 at 06:52 PM. Reason: OP bought a 1200CL
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT