Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 43

Thread: 90 R 100 GSPD suspension upgrade

  1. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Central Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    270
    Look forward to our progress, this will be my next upgrade

    Btw, tried to rate this thread as good and it ended up terrible due to my big big fingers, and it will not let me change it! sorry about that! These threads are exactly what is needed.

    Thanks, G
    R's Graham
    1991 R100 GS "Bumble Bee" , 1981 R80G/S (work in progress)
    2010 Husaberg FE450
    Past BMWs: '68 R50/2, '77 R80/7, '87 R80GSPD, '76 R60/6, '85 K100RS

  2. #17
    . AntonLargiader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    1,321
    Quote Originally Posted by 128521 View Post
    ... Race Tech say put a gold valve in both sides , because the gold valve does a better job than stock alone.
    The Race-Tech website lists one GV in the R100GS kit, to be installed in the right leg. I suspect most people suggesting a GV in the left leg have never actually looked inside; modifications will be needed for it to have any effect at all. However, they would not be difficult mods.

    I have two GVs and I have two sets of fork legs (and I have a GS) so maybe I should start playing with it. The reason I link to Scot's website is that I have no direct experience with this combo yet.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    largiader.com bmwra.org

  3. #18
    Administrator 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    12,430
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamm View Post
    Btw, tried to rate this thread as good and it ended up terrible due to my big big fingers, and it will not let me change it! sorry about that! These threads are exactly what is needed.
    You can only vote once to rate a thread. The rating will change as more people vote their choice on the thread.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  4. #19
    not lost til out of gas 128521's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    troutdale,or
    Posts
    97
    morning everyone, a little more theory/debate before I grab a wrench. Anton thank you so much for your response, your website is awesome, I studied it for several hours last week. if I understand correctly this is what happens when I hit a bump. as the forks compress the right leg check valve opens and allows max flow, the left leg restricts flow progressively as the fork compresses. as the fork nears bottom, the hole in the bottom of the right leg damper rod is covered by the valve and provides a further damping effect. on rebound, the right leg check valve closes restricting flow, the left leg valve restricts flow marginally by being bigger at the top than the bottom. now if I understand, the gold valve is placed on top of the damper rod under the fork spring. when I hit a bump , the gold valve greatly restricts flow until you reach the set point, at that time the gold valve opens allowing controlled flow. so I am looking at my instructions from race tech , Marzocchi 40 mm - BMW R 80/100 GS , part # FEGV S3804 , there are 2 gold valves. my shop owner / ace mechanic , and Race Tech say " the left leg creates a marginal amount of compression damping through most of the stroke and really is only effective near bottoming." however the instructions from Race Tech are only detailed on the right leg. (maybe because you have to drill holes in it ). anyway the way it has been explained to me is, put one on both sides and it will make both sides the same, and better. and yes I have never actually seen the insides of my forks,, yet! so what do you all think about that? p.s. I will call the Race Tech techline on Monday, and wont put anything back til I talk to them.

  5. #20
    . AntonLargiader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    1,321
    Your view of the fork functionality is the same as how I see it. I don't really know how the damping of the left leg (in either direction) compares to that of the right. An note that the GCV only acts on the oil flow through the damping rod, not through the existing valve. That's why they want the holes drilled: to disable the existing valve.

    As for the emulators, the R100GS page says, "1 Emulator with Adapter in Kit. Rebound and compression in right leg. Emulator goes in right leg."

    From this page: http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/...0%20GS/1987-94
    Anton Largiader 72724
    largiader.com bmwra.org

  6. #21
    not lost til out of gas 128521's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    troutdale,or
    Posts
    97
    thank you again for the info. I tore the forks apart this afternoon, that went pretty smooth I think. I have one concern when I removed the right side valve the ring with the tabs was jammed up in the fork tube and I had to carefully pry it out. I tried to put it back together and it got stuck again. tomorrow I will clean and thoroughly inspect everything. I will wait til Monday to reassemble so I can talk to someone at the Race Tech hotline, here are a few pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #22
    not lost til out of gas 128521's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    troutdale,or
    Posts
    97
    hello, I just called the RACE TECH, tech line and it is disconnected. so I e-mailed them on their tech e-mail, we'll see how that goes. after cleaning and looking at things yesterday, I realized Anton is right, it appears to me you would have to drill holes in the compression damping rod, and restrict the oil flowing past the valve, for the gold valve to be effective.so I guess I will load up a few parts and go to the shop and see what they say.

  8. #23
    not lost til out of gas 128521's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    troutdale,or
    Posts
    97
    good morning, no reply from RACE TECH , hmmm, maybe my shop knows how to get a hold of them. my shop was closed yesterday, so today I will have some news. I am going to go out on a limb and lay out what I think is going to happen. keep in mind that I had never even thought about what my forks were doing til last week. first I will drill three sets of holes, in the damping rod, the same as the other side. then take the damping rod to a machine shop and have them cut off the washer that rests the damping rod on top of the short springs in the bottom of the fork tube, and reweld a larger diameter one in its place. I think that would restrict the flow enough to redirect it through the gold valve. I also think I need some steel washers for the race tech spacers to sit on since they don't fit the spring seat very good. RACE TECH says to remove the spring seat on the right side but I can't see how it comes apart. after looking at the attached pic, maybe the right size washer between the spacer and the spring seat would do the trick, and I wouldn't have to go to the machine shop. any thoughts on all that? thanks Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #24
    not lost til out of gas 128521's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    troutdale,or
    Posts
    97
    Race Tech lives, I fat fingered the number yesterday, I am now waiting for a call from Louie, suspension expert at Race Tech.

  10. #25
    not lost til out of gas 128521's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    troutdale,or
    Posts
    97
    all right, we have action. I talked with Matthew Wiley vintage specialist at race tech, I sent him my proposal, he said he will research it and advise. I will let everyone know as soon as I hear something. as far as Matthew, and Louie at race tech knew no one has put a gold valve on the left side. I hope to have more soon.

  11. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Central Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by 128521 View Post
    all right, we have action. I talked with Matthew Wiley vintage specialist at race tech, I sent him my proposal, he said he will research it and advise. I will let everyone know as soon as I hear something. as far as Matthew, and Louie at race tech knew no one has put a gold valve on the left side. I hope to have more soon.
    Way to challenge! Breaking new ground
    R's Graham
    1991 R100 GS "Bumble Bee" , 1981 R80G/S (work in progress)
    2010 Husaberg FE450
    Past BMWs: '68 R50/2, '77 R80/7, '87 R80GSPD, '76 R60/6, '85 K100RS

  12. #27
    not lost til out of gas 128521's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    troutdale,or
    Posts
    97
    good morning, I started this thread to find out how to best improve my bike, I stated I had no experience with this area. however I think now is a good time for some backpedaling ( crawfishin as we say down at the pool room ). I went to my local shop, told them I wanted to upgrade, and asked their recommendation, they were very sure of themselves and told me what to get. when I questioned why there were 2 valves, they said that was correct, they were very sure of themselves. I have made some posts based on this information, anything I said about Race Tech was based on reading the instructions that came with my valves. now that I have actually talked to Race Tech I realize my shop didn't know how to do this job off the top of their head.so I am sorry if I put out any incorrect information up to this point. ok my updated plan involves drilling the same holes in the left damping rod as are in the right, then have a machine shop make a spacer that sits on top of the damping rod and under the gold valve, that also restricts flow, redirecting oil through the gold valve. I am sure I am in way over my head now but it is fun. oh well like most things in my life " it seemed like a good idea at the time "

  13. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Central Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by 128521 View Post
    good morning, I started this thread to find out how to best improve my bike, I stated I had no experience with this area. however I think now is a good time for some backpedaling ( crawfishin as we say down at the pool room ). I went to my local shop, told them I wanted to upgrade, and asked their recommendation, they were very sure of themselves and told me what to get. when I questioned why there were 2 valves, they said that was correct, they were very sure of themselves. I have made some posts based on this information, anything I said about Race Tech was based on reading the instructions that came with my valves. now that I have actually talked to Race Tech I realize my shop didn't know how to do this job off the top of their head.so I am sorry if I put out any incorrect information up to this point. ok my updated plan involves drilling the same holes in the left damping rod as are in the right, then have a machine shop make a spacer that sits on top of the damping rod and under the gold valve, that also restricts flow, redirecting oil through the gold valve. I am sure I am in way over my head now but it is fun. oh well like most things in my life " it seemed like a good idea at the time "
    Only way to over come not knowing what to do is doing it

    I look forward to the learnings you bring us all.
    R's Graham
    1991 R100 GS "Bumble Bee" , 1981 R80G/S (work in progress)
    2010 Husaberg FE450
    Past BMWs: '68 R50/2, '77 R80/7, '87 R80GSPD, '76 R60/6, '85 K100RS

  14. #29
    not lost til out of gas 128521's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    troutdale,or
    Posts
    97
    morning everyone, here is what I sent to Race Tech, I hope to hear from them soon, I can't wait to try it out!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  15. #30
    not lost til out of gas 128521's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    troutdale,or
    Posts
    97
    maybe I should have said , the springs on top are the old springs and spacers I need to make new spacers for the Race Tech springs.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •