Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Tinnitus anyone?

Bluenoser
    Quote Originally Posted by 90951 View Post
    In the Army I drove a tank and was a gunner. In the Marines I was infantry and a machine gunner. When I quit that I was a law enforcement officer and averaged 250 rounds a week for 7 years. I always used hearing protection when afforded the opportunity which wasn't always.

So tinninitus yes. What do I do? Drink whiskey. Run a floor fan at night. Ignore it. Wear ear plugs all the time to keep things from getting worse.
    That sounds like good advice.
    1971 R50/5 SWB with R75/6 drivetrain
    2013 DL650

Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    So that's why all those crickets keep singing in the background....lol?
    Mine oscillates between crickets chirping and a constant high pitch "test tone". It has gotten a little better over the years... Or maybe I have just gotten used to it.
    Last edited by azgman; 04-20-2013 at 04:05 PM.
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511
    YB #2005

you've gotten used to it. and, there are natural fluctuations as to its intensity. (right now, I have quite the cricket chorus going on, early morning seems to be a bad time for mine). There is no reverse gear for tinnitus, which is why hearing protection is so vitally important. I wish i'd known (and practiced) that earlier.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by azgman View Post
    Mine oscillates between crickets chirping and a constant high pitch "test tone". I has gotten a little better over the years... Or maybe I have just gotten used to it.
    I have the emergency broadcast system tone. It hasn't gotten better and certain drugs aggravate it, like aspirin and hydrocodone. I wish I could turn it off.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Quote Originally Posted by ponch1 View Post
    I have the emergency broadcast system tone. It hasn't gotten better and certain drugs aggravate it, like aspirin and hydrocodone. I wish I could turn it off.
    I was reading something online r.e. NSAIDS & the potential side effects of certain ones(there are a bunch of types/categories of them aspirin is one as mentioned above) and some can cause Tinnitus.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

I followed this thread with interest as I have tinnitus. Mine has worsened the past few years in that it now interferes with my hearing. Mine is also accompanied with a slight to moderate hearing loss. Hearing loss often goes hand in hand with tinnitus.

But there is help. First off preserve your hearing.

The fan trick at night really does help as do "sound machines". There are also "white noise" apps for many smartphones. Those were all things that my audiologist recommended as well as the Tinnitus Retraining Therapy (TRT) I was placed on. The idea is to train your brain to ignore the tinnitus the same way it ignores the hum of the refrigerator. I was told to not drown out the tinnitus with the sound therapy but to let them mingle. The office said all motorcyclists should really wear some sort of earplugs and they recommend the etymotic brand (etymotic.com), which I was already wearing. They said plugs with a valve are always better than those without and especially better than foam.

Silence is your enemy with tinnitus. You will hear it more when it is quiet.

This morning I went to the next step. Hearing aids with sound generators. Before they were even programmed and were just "aiding" hearing I was impressed. I now constantly have the low white noise in my ears (like the sound apps) but for me it is much less intrusive than the ringing. In time I will learn to ignore it I'm told. We intentionally stopped at a restaurant on the way home I always had problems in with my hearing. It was like night and day. I was lucky that my hearing loss is slight to moderate as the sound generators have far less channels than your typical in the ear hearing aids. Mine and I believe most if all sound generators are behind the ear aids. Mine are worn with glasses too. You can barely see them also.

But THEY ARE NOT TO BE WORN when riding. When riding it's time to remove them and rely on earplugs which for now means hearing the ringing.

Just know that there is help out there as technology moves forward.

DSCN2902.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chris Ehlbeck
    BMWMOA 168990
    Chris & Donna's Motorcycle Journeys

Interesting, glad you are happy with them. If you could, perhaps give us an update in a month or so.
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Quote Originally Posted by cehlbeck View Post
    I followed this thread with interest as I have tinnitus. Mine has worsened the past few years in that it now interferes with my hearing. Mine is also accompanied with a slight to moderate hearing loss. Hearing loss often goes hand in hand with tinnitus.

This morning I went to the next step. Hearing aids with sound generators. ]

Yup, took the next step myself, hearing aids, minus the sound generators, I can add that program later....I think. I pick them up in a couple of weeks. My tinnitus can get far worse from noise directed in my ear that has close to profound hearing loss at some levels.....strange. I'm looking forward to hearing conversations in the car and in restaurants and the TV again.

I will have to see how my Tinnitus is with them.

I must say the hearing test was funny..."is that a beep from the machine, or my tinnitus I hear?"

I have to edit this post, every time I respond to a Tinnitus thread I notice the ringing for the next 1/2 hour or so until my brain tunes it out again.
    Last edited by rad; 11-20-2013 at 01:16 AM. Reason: my ears are ring'n

I can only relate my experience. I had some ringing which I would notice when it was quiet. I was aware and I switched to noise cancelling headsets for work and tried to protect my hearing while riding etc. Two things have since changed in my life. I have become somewhat of a health nut after an Ultrasound of my carotid showed some thickening of the walls. I am now basically a vegetarian and avoid processed foods/sugars as much as possible.
    It occurred to me several months after losing 20+ pounds that there is no ringing even in a perfectly quiet room. In addition, I was getting excessive ear wax and to stop that I was using some Cortisone in my ears. I still use this occasionally and I have had no more issues with excessive ear wax. Not sure if the diet or the cortisone made any difference but this has been my experience. I may have dodged the bullet so far because for years I did not wear any protection in very noisy environments around airports and farms.
    Seek Fun. "Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain--and most fools do" BF
    2009 K1300GT, S1000RR sold, F650 sold
    2011 R1200GSA
    2014 Kawasaki DTracker 250 (Chiang Mai Thailand)

There is a new lab? / clinic? just opened near me. It is called Hearing solutions, and they sent info about a free group study on tinnitus , and have a sign out front encouraging participation. Since yes I do have it, I think I'm going to look into the study. I'll post what the results.

www.hearingaidforums.com is a place to gather info on your own. Has several pros on there & like the rest of the world plenty of armchair QB's. Some there have profound losses while far more others have the common noise induced variety as most on this forum have or are trying to avoid/or acquire? -depending on awareness.
    Tread carefully in the "world" of HA's as is evidenced by the many laws to protect us. They will sell you something, even if it is not the best solution for your type loss. Not all HA mfg's make an aid for every type of loss.Some will sell you a HA that's too powerful for your loss because it has a higher price point/more profit , then turn it down to your level of need. Some sell multiple brands to assist more kinds of users. Many/most(seems to me its most!-e.g., I've been quoted $7k for an aid that was $3k elsewhere!) have markup's similar to the jewelry trade. I was pointed toward places like Costco in my search & found their prices to be just below middle of the road after diligent searching.
    I have VG HA's & still find myself either turning them off in a restaurant or waaay down. Red Lobster as an e.g. of a common & popular place that's not "bar room noisy", yet can be too loud with aids turned up.Works better for me to ask for a booth in a quiet corner than to depend on HA's to solve my problem of hearing better in public place. FWIW, I think HA's were invented by the battery people
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    Yup, took the next step myself, hearing aids, minus the sound generators, I can add that program later....I think. I pick them up in a couple of weeks. My tinnitus can get far worse from noise directed in my ear that has close to profound hearing loss at some levels.....strange. I'm looking forward to hearing conversations in the car and in restaurants and the TV again.

I will have to see how my Tinnitus is with them.

I must say the hearing test was funny..."is that a beep from the machine, or my tinnitus I hear?"

I have to edit this post, every time I respond to a Tinnitus thread I notice the ringing for the next 1/2 hour or so until my brain tunes it out again.
    I guess that's why the audiologist compares it to the hum of the refrigerator or air conditioning. You don't notice it because your brain tunes it out, but you notice it now because I mentioned it. Think of your tinnitus and it becomes more prominent.

It's amazing what they can program into the little things. I can have just the hearing aid feature, just the tinnitus feature or both, in what they referred to a "playlist". When my brain learns to tune out the tinnitus that feature can be dropped. I have to give my healthcare provider, Kaiser Permanente some credit here too. The devices were not their first solution, but near the end. Tests, exams and the TRT (Tinnitus Retraining Therapy) all came first. Often one co-payment covered multiple visits too.

Some posted about markups. Boy are they right! I was looking for reviews and more information of my model once they were ordered. A lot of the links took me to online "discount" retailers who dispense through a local audiologist. Their prices for ONE device was nearly what I paid for my PAIR and no my Kaiser Permanente policy does not cover hearing aids.
    Last edited by cehlbeck; 11-21-2013 at 05:58 PM.
    Chris Ehlbeck
    BMWMOA 168990
    Chris & Donna's Motorcycle Journeys

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeee

No hearing protection in my younger years and use of air hammers, chainsaws and straight-piped bikes,second row in front of Marshall stacks at several concerts,a screaming first wife on 11 volume all the time and glass packed Chevies.
    I only notice it when in a really quiet environment as in no one in the house and no background noises. At night we run fans.

And as mentioned, after reading about it makes it seem louder in my head.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Good timing on this discussion again.

Tonight I sit in motel awaiting my second day of treatment of Tinnitus and mostly symptoms of my Meniere's syndrome (disease) at World renowned Shea Ear Clinic in Memphis.

Being a 20 year sufferer from these symptoms and understanding my Limitations concerning riding....I had a shunt implanted 18 years ago...and it has served me well.... Tinnitus help ...NO ...Menierie's YES. so good that I started to motorcycle tour in my semi retirement years 14 years ago... very close to 300,000 document BMW miles and enjoyed every mile.. I have been off the bike since my return from BMW MOA in Salem...made it as far as Colorado...on the return...
    18 years ago.. my pilot days ended..due to could not pass the medcial....and now I face the future of my ride...it hurts...but I have hope...and you don't have to look far to see a friend that has far more health problems than I...makes mind look minor...

18 years ago...my old family doctor who had suffered from Tinnitus for years like millions of us....told me something that I believe to this day....Don he said "you can spend all the money you will ever make and you can't get rid of the ringing, you can learn how to control the loudest, you can learn about your diet and you can buy things that make living with tinnitus better... We need to tell this young folks to protect their ears and hearing...we will have two generations of deaf folks by the millions until it's learned"

Yes, I am like you...wanting some relief and I have read volumes of articles, medical journals, belonged to American Tinnitus Association....did every test and treatment known...and yes my Old Doctor was correct... tonight I sit here awaiting day two of test treatment...not for a cure but to make it where I can live with my problem.

The bottom line IMO, we can teach prevention and protection like ATGATT...but the cures are trial and error and lots of snake oil out there, ask me how I know?

OH, I didn't try the voodoo women in Walker county that for $15 has a special bag to wart off anything...but you have to revisit her every week ane pay $5 for the refreshed bag of herbs... just wait in line OH the old doctor heard about her and told me to tie garlic around my neck and keep away everything!

The combo of tinnitus and meniere's has caused total deafness in my rt. ear... Yes you can have tinnitus without meniere's and meniere's with tinnitus...but one can lead to the other...just monitor your conditions folks and don't wait too long for prevention of future issues.

Sorry this is long....
    2011 R1200 GSA (My Radio Flyer)
    75 R90/6 with Velorex sidecar

" Oh Lord I pray, Let me live long enough to do everything they say I've done"

#89-Great job! Even those people that "think they know" about noise induced hearing loss" will expose themselves needlessly. I see this all the time & as a guy that hears the ringing & have 35% loss R & L I preach to no avail-they usually say-"this one time wont hurt" or , "yes, I know but I usually wear protection" or "its too late to worry about it now"!
    Mentioned above is insurance coverage for hearing related needs-At this time of an alarming national discussion about health care insurance(trying to keep it "clean" here) I am reminded again that of our some of bodies most precious assets for a healthy life are often given the short end of the stick when it comes to insurance! Look at the lack of coverage related to EYES!, EARS!,TEETH!,MENTAL HEALTH! & ADDICTIONS!

Even when you have insurance: When I get off of here, I'm writing an appeal (Express Scripts for a rejected prescription) to recieve a medication for persons like me, that cannot take NSAIDS through the mouth, based on rejection of my docs prescription for an alternative designed for people like me, their having rejected saying the doc didn't justify the med & that it wasn't really "for what it is for" when it fact that's what it's for. Moral of the story-don't get tick fever.

I wonder if the government will have MC riders on a "list" of persons that are higher a actuarial risk for insurance purposes?