Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Tinnitus anyone?

Nothing I know helps

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Tinnitus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus Yeah tales of a misspent youth can tell part of the story. I've seen many threads recently on "what kind of earplugs" and "quietest helmet" recently and wonder if there are any other sufferers of this annoying malady and what do you do to "temper" off the effects. Ear plugs and helmets.....well if you have it- you know. OM
    My tinnitus started only 3 years ago after a concussion; I'm 65 now, so I haven't suffered with it as long as a lot of folks here.

But, ear plugs or better helmet does not keep me from hearing the sound of cicadas 24 hours a day. I raised up under a electric meter box and hit my head above my left eye. The next night, I ask my wife if she heard all those cicadas outside. She said she didn't hear anything; I put my fingers in my ears and could still hear it and been hearing it ever since.

Actually, the wind noise over the shield on my rs gives me some relief as I don't hear it so much. My doctor told me there is not much you can do about it but try and live with it. Some good Kentucky bourbon usually helps mine for a while.

DW
    1978 R100rs MOA#22600 125cc Kymco
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Quote Originally Posted by rs100beemer View Post
    My tinnitus started only 3 years ago after a concussion; I'm 65 now, so I haven't suffered with it as long as a lot of folks here.

But, ear plugs or better helmet does not keep me from hearing the sound of cicadas 24 hours a day. I raised up under a electric meter box and hit my head above my left eye. The next night, I ask my wife if she heard all those cicadas outside. She said she didn't hear anything; I put my fingers in my ears and could still hear it and been hearing it ever since.

Actually, the wind noise over the shield on my rs gives me some relief as I don't hear it so much. My doctor told me there is not much you can do about it but try and live with it. Some good Kentucky bourbon usually helps mine for a while.

DW
    Yeah, one of the ways I figured it out too, sticking fingers in or covering my ears and it did not go away. It started in one ear and is now in both. A number of years ago I did go to an ENT. He sent me to an audiologist for a complete hearing test (in the booth) with the warning that "If they find any hearing loss they will want to sell you hearing aids. Wait and come back to me." Sure enough before checking out they stopped me at the counter for hearing aids. The doctor on the other hand didn't think I needed them at the time and said that if the tinnitus kept me awake more than just on occasion to come back.
    Chris Ehlbeck
    BMWMOA 168990
    Chris & Donna's Motorcycle Journeys

AirHeader13

Best Ear Plugs in the World

Cool

Many causes of hearing loss cited here. I suffer from it (tinnitus) as well.

The result of too many years without adequate protection at firing ranges as an LEO, poor fitting helmets and one particularly bad day of almost non-stop use of a traffic whistle for nearly an hour.

Damage to the nerve endings in the ears is PERMANENT. No magic pill or therapy will un-do anything.

"White noise" (background tones) will help when it's time to sleep, but the best advice is prevention.

A good-fitting helmet (most helmet noise comes up from beneath, where the helmet meets the neckline) is essential to our passion for two wheels. A large windshield helps and of course, ear plugs if you can tolerate them.

Good luck.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

I had my hearing tested about 15 years ago at Johns Hopkins audiology as part of an executive physical program they have. They told me then that my hearing was as good as my labrador retriever's. A year ago I started noticing a constant ringing and went in for the appointment - tinnitus with high frequency roll off. Not terrible of definitely the full time ringing and difficult to understand people in a crowded room. I thought long and hard about it and what my Doc told me about being very careful to protect what hearing I have left. I went out and got the best hearing protection / earphones available anywhere from Sensaphonics. Nearly 40 db of passive noise attenuation and excellent sound quality for my tunes and other audio needs.

The nice thing about the Sensaphonics is that they're made from a soft gel and custom molded. Someone said something like "earphones if you can tolerant them..." I've ridden with these on 12 hour days for a week at a time and they always felt comfortable with no irritation or pressure at all. You just have to practice some good ear hygiene so you're not packing wax in there and I use just a small smear of Cortizone+Pain cream on mine just to make the seal especially well and contribute to the comfort level.

Yep, they're pricey at $750 a set and not covered by insurance but hearing loss stinks even more. And, considering the stupid level of money that we all spend farkling up bikes, I didn't have to think about this more than about a minute. What's it worth to me to hear the music when I dance with my daughter at her wedding someday? What's nuts is someone that wouldn't buy a cheap helmet because they might need it someday that will then cheap out on hearing protection that you definitely will need every time you ride. Makes no sense to me and even less now that I'm standing at parties and watching people talk to me and not understanding what they're saying. And that's with just a slight hearing loss!
    Wes Jones
    Annapolis, MD
    2012 K1600GT, Vermillion Red
    2013 S1000RR, Granite Gray

Quote Originally Posted by AirHeader13 View Post
    I read the web site & the one thing they never state is the DB blockage/rating you get from their ear plugs?
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Wall Street Journal had a pretty good article about this a while back. Discusses treatments.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...782047928.html
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

I spent summers working at a cotton gin when I was in high school/college. It was very loud and after a 12 hour shift I'd have ringing in my ears for a few hours so I've always wondered if and when I might get tinnitus. I'm 65 and hasn't come knocking yet! I wear ear plugs when I ride or music ear plugs now when I ride.
    IBA No. 58411
    Current Bike 1979 BMW 100RT; 2013 BMW R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition; 2008 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic 105th Anniversary Edition

I have this as well and at times it's absolutely maddening! Too many years of sirens, power tools, shooting, music and motorcycles are all probably to blame. I've got the high pitched tone and endless crickets that no one else can hear going on full time in my head.

It can really drive you crazy if you let it, but as others have stated it seems to get louder the more you fixate on it.

I've got foam plugs in my jacket pocket at all times and use them at theaters, concerts, every time I ride the bike, and even under my gun muffs when I go shooting. I'm trying to protect whatever I have left!

I can't remember the name of it, but I tried that vitamin mix that they sell in drug stores for tinnitus, but it didn't give me any real relief.
    Ride Safe,
    Bob
    '12 R1200RT

I must have been born with tinnitus. I don't remember ever not having it.

Nobody seemed to understand what I was talking about when I would mention the ringing or sounds I was getting in my ears ( this was back in the dark ages) . Then the military happened ,then some terrible jobs in places like steel mills and so on, then motorcycles and loud music. Even through all that it is only slightly worse than when I was youngster.

At least I have an excuse for my insanity
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

Yeah and how 'bout the times when your nose/sinus areas hit the wall...............it can bring the noise up 20%.
    And for all those watching from home, people with Tinnitus still get the common "ear ringing" on top of the Tinnitus
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Just reading the posts

Makes my ear ring louder!!!

Shhh. Go away.
    2012 R1200RT, 2004 Vespa GTi, 2001 Kawasaki 220R, 1981 Vespa P200E, 2004 BMW 325i

na1g
    If your ears are ringing after you are exposed to loud noise,* you have damaged your hearing.

I'm 69 and have major tinnitus (plus Meniere's). Sure wish I knew better when I was doing those things mentioned below.

pete

* (rock concerts, 2-stroke expansion-chambers, riding without ear plugs, etc.)

hearing aids help

I may have posted previously or elsewhere, but it seems worth a redux.

My ENT guy described it this way: The "ringing" sound you "hear" is imaginary. Without any physical input of sound waves, a message is in effect being sent to your brain that is that annoying, maddening "sound" of ringing or hiss or however you describe it.

You may ( likely) also have some hearing loss. The use of hearing aids will put more of the sound of reality in your head, and over time, make you less and less aware of the perceived ringing. Modern hearing aids can be calibrated to your very particular loss of certain frequencies, and while they are fairly expensive, are virtually invisible. In my case my health insurance plan covered half the initial cost.

Now that we're discussing it, I'm very aware of the ringing. However, I'm not wearing them right now, and when I go put my hearing aids in and go on with my day, the ringing will disappear. It took some time to really adjust and for this effect to occur noticeably, but it's true for me. And It's kept me from jumping off a bridge or something.

I never wear them while I'm riding, but always wear earplugs now to reduce the likelihood of further damage. For me the tinnitus really kicked in for the first time after a number of years of riding and particularly, three 700 mile days in a row w/o ear plugs. ( full face helmet and good parabellum screen).

Long days in the saddle, even with earplugs and behind an RT fairing w Aeroflow screen exacerbate it, but it subsides.
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by mule View Post
    Makes my ear ring louder!!!

Shhh. Go away.
    After reading about this condition, I detect a ringing in the background too