Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tinnitus anyone?

Unhappy Tinnitus anyone?

Tinnitus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus Yeah tales of a misspent youth can tell part of the story. I've seen many threads recently on "what kind of earplugs" and "quietest helmet" recently and wonder if there are any other sufferers of this annoying malady and what do you do to "temper" off the effects. Ear plugs and helmets.....well if you have it- you know. OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Tinnitus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus Yeah tales of a misspent youth can tell part of the story. I've seen many threads recently on "what kind of earplugs" and "quietest helmet" recently and wonder if there are any other sufferers of this annoying malady and what do you do to "temper" off the effects. Ear plugs and helmets.....well if you have it- you know. OM
    Got it...and would not wish it on anyone...

I use SOFT foam earplugs... no music or voice into my ear by any earplug or device.

I look at my GPS for directions....don't knew a voice to talk to me...and tell me about turns....

Full face helmet....

Large wind screen to reduce air bluffing or more wind noise...

I do find that the wind noise or engine sounds not filter by the plugs do act as a "masker" to some degree.

Hope this helps.
    2011 R1200 GSA (My Radio Flyer)
    75 R90/6 with Velorex sidecar

" Oh Lord I pray, Let me live long enough to do everything they say I've done"

Left Coast Rider
    I've got it. Courtesy of standing by the guitar amplifiers speakers in the bars of my youth. I sing along with the various tones I hear throughout the day.

I wear an Arai and use 33db soft ear plugs and have been for about 30 years. Before that - cotton batten.

I've had it for just over a year. I'm thoroughly pissed about it. It never stops. As best I know, there is not a damn thing you can do about it.

I've always tried to protect my hearing since I was a kid. I hated having to yell at my grandparents to be heard. I was never a fan of loud music or loud bikes. I was about 18 when I started using ear plugs when riding and plugs or ear muffs with any power tool, lawn equipment, even the vacuum cleaner. I use ear plugs in movie theaters and at parties with live bands or DJs.

Its probably not a coincidence that it first appeared the day after I demonstrated my RT horn inside the garage. Yeah, I've got the "good" pair of stock horns.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Got it

I manage it now, IÔÇÖm luckier than many in that regard. At its worst I was almost throwing up for days with sirens going off in my head around the clock after a fast cross country run with a loud helmet on a bike with horrible wind management.

It settled down after a couple of weeks and now IÔÇÖm very diligent about good quality ear plugs and bikes with minimal buffeting and noise.

At night I sleep with a fan on, the white noise masks the Tinnitus so I can sleep.

Good luck

Unhappy

I've had it for over 40 years. Real low frequencies from vehicles with large amps and speakers can be extremely annoying. Wind and road noise can be dealt with using foam or better yet custom ear plugs. BOSE noise canceling headphones allow me to enjoy music while blocking most extraineous sounds that affect my tinnitus. Years of wearing poor ear protection or none at all are to blame ( you do pay a price for being careless lazy).
    RIDE SAFE
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

It's too late for ear plugs.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

You rang?

Had it for years. Nothing really helps unfortunately. Less noise = less ringing and it seems to calm down a little after giving your ears a little rest.
    Really the best thing is to just ignore it. Let it be your friend as your stuck with him. Alot of the surviving of it is just let it be and not think about it.

good luck

Well this is interesting. It seems like there are quite a few poor Bas*^*ds suffering with this as it's quite annoying. Nothing new for me guys, it's been 20+ years it's just that I've never seen the subject brought up here on the forum.
    For me, it's a cross between a whistling tea kettle and a summer night- at above conversational level. It's interesting on the use of ear protection most of you are trying. I need some music to temper it off a bit as regular earplugs or ear muffs turn the experience into a giant echo chamber.
    Rad, it sounds like you and I are dealing with it in a similar fashion.
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Well this is interesting. It seems like there are quite a few poor Bas*^*ds suffering with this as it's quite annoying. Nothing new for me guys, it's been 20+ years it's just that I've never seen the subject brought up here on the forum.
    For me, it's a cross between a whistling tea kettle and a summer night- at above conversational level. It's interesting on the use of ear protection most of you are trying. I need some music to temper it off a bit as regular earplugs or ear muffs turn the experience into a giant echo chamber.
    Rad, it sounds like you and I are dealing with it in a similar fashion.
    Same here..... 25 years as a firefighter; sirens, air horns, and big diesels running flat out. I notice it most when I'm in a quiet setting. On the bikes, I have SENA SMH-10 headsets blaring music at the top volume.... no ringing noticed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ponch1 View Post
    It's too late for ear plugs.
    Tinnitus may not be "curable" but if you have any hearing left it should be protected by whatever means possible. My ringing never stops but is tolerable and I have ~ 35% high freq loss R&L. I do find that even when I'm as well protected as possible,e.g. I ran a chain saw yesterday for 2 tanks of gas & even with very good earmuffs I got some increased ringing.
    "It's too late for ear plugs" has an ominous "ring" to it? I think some encouragement is better.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Quote Originally Posted by mule View Post
    Had it for years. Nothing really helps unfortunately. Less noise = less ringing and it seems to calm down a little after giving your ears a little rest.
    Really the best thing is to just ignore it. Let it be your friend as your stuck with him. Alot of the surviving of it is just let it be and not think about it.

good luck
    I agree with Mule. It used to drive me absolutley crazy. My family had a limestone quarry and I started working there when I was around 12. Lots of noise, machinery, dynamite, etc. Then years of loud music, guns, etc. Anyhow, it's pretty bad. In fact, sad to say, years ago, I thought about suicide. It was driving me batty, and I thought, if I have to "listen" to this the rest of my life, I might as well put an end to it now. Anyhow, about 10 years ago, I started a meditation practice. At first, the "noise" level of the tinnitus went through the roof. However, after using the tinnitus as an object of meditation, my "relationship" to it has changed. It as been really cool to experience this. I won't get all "new agey" with it, but instead of hating the tinnitus, I have actually been able to use it as tool. It's still there, loud as ever, but doesn't cause me suffering any longer.

Now, let's burn some incense and stare at some crystals...
    1969 Triumph Bonneville T120R, 1972 Commando 750, 1974 Vespa Rally 200, 1974 Commando 850, 1975 Commando 850, 2010 Triumph T100 w/sidecar, 2011 BMW R1200RT, 2013 Honda CB1100

RK Ryder
    I've had it for about 15 years. Unless I'm riding just a few blocks, soft ear plugs are worn. When using the snow blower, lawn mower, weed whacker, and even the vacuum, I wear ear protectors in an attempt to preserve the hearing that I have left. Mine began when filling a bicycle tire and didn't realize the inner tube was caught between the rim and the tire. The pop or explosion of the inner tube wasn't too bad, but it did cause some damage. But the final straw was three days later, when descending into Manchester airport. The change of elevation pressure, combined with the injury a few days earlier, made the landing extremely painful and unbearable for my ears. For the following three weeks while in England, I had massive, loud tinnitus, which eventually has settled down, but is always present.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Jack Herbst
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    I've had it for about 15 years. Unless I'm riding just a few blocks, soft ear plugs are worn. When using the snow blower, lawn mower, weed whacker, and even the vacuum, I wear ear protectors in an attempt to preserve the hearing that I have left. Mine began when filling a bicycle tire and didn't realize the inner tube was caught between the rim and the tire. The pop or explosion of the inner tube wasn't too bad, but it did cause some damage. But the final straw was three days later, when descending into Manchester airport. The change of elevation pressure, combined with the injury a few days earlier, made the landing extremely painful and unbearable for my ears. For the following three weeks while in England, I had massive, loud tinnitus, which eventually has settled down, but is always present.
    I have had it (moderate to severe) for over forty five years. Better now that I have it in both ears. I had and traveled with a "rock n roll" band for seven years then became a Jet Pilot for the next thirty five years. After retiring I just had to have loud Harleys. All made their contributions.

I have had it (very high pitch) twenty four seven and sometimes wondered if I could stand it another day. There is no cure. Stay rested and take a multiple vitamin B Complex will help some. Do not feel alone as many people suffer from this malady.

Jack
    "All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I realize I should have been more specific."

So that's why all those crickets keep singing in the background....lol?
    '14 R1200RT
    MOA #46783