Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tinnitus anyone?

Hybrid View

Unhappy Tinnitus anyone?

Tinnitus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus Yeah tales of a misspent youth can tell part of the story. I've seen many threads recently on "what kind of earplugs" and "quietest helmet" recently and wonder if there are any other sufferers of this annoying malady and what do you do to "temper" off the effects. Ear plugs and helmets.....well if you have it- you know. OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Tinnitus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus Yeah tales of a misspent youth can tell part of the story. I've seen many threads recently on "what kind of earplugs" and "quietest helmet" recently and wonder if there are any other sufferers of this annoying malady and what do you do to "temper" off the effects. Ear plugs and helmets.....well if you have it- you know. OM
    Got it...and would not wish it on anyone...

I use SOFT foam earplugs... no music or voice into my ear by any earplug or device.

I look at my GPS for directions....don't knew a voice to talk to me...and tell me about turns....

Full face helmet....

Large wind screen to reduce air bluffing or more wind noise...

I do find that the wind noise or engine sounds not filter by the plugs do act as a "masker" to some degree.

Hope this helps.
    2011 R1200 GSA (My Radio Flyer)
    75 R90/6 with Velorex sidecar

" Oh Lord I pray, Let me live long enough to do everything they say I've done"

Left Coast Rider
    I've got it. Courtesy of standing by the guitar amplifiers speakers in the bars of my youth. I sing along with the various tones I hear throughout the day.

I wear an Arai and use 33db soft ear plugs and have been for about 30 years. Before that - cotton batten.

I've had it for just over a year. I'm thoroughly pissed about it. It never stops. As best I know, there is not a damn thing you can do about it.

I've always tried to protect my hearing since I was a kid. I hated having to yell at my grandparents to be heard. I was never a fan of loud music or loud bikes. I was about 18 when I started using ear plugs when riding and plugs or ear muffs with any power tool, lawn equipment, even the vacuum cleaner. I use ear plugs in movie theaters and at parties with live bands or DJs.

Its probably not a coincidence that it first appeared the day after I demonstrated my RT horn inside the garage. Yeah, I've got the "good" pair of stock horns.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Got it

I manage it now, IÔÇÖm luckier than many in that regard. At its worst I was almost throwing up for days with sirens going off in my head around the clock after a fast cross country run with a loud helmet on a bike with horrible wind management.

It settled down after a couple of weeks and now IÔÇÖm very diligent about good quality ear plugs and bikes with minimal buffeting and noise.

At night I sleep with a fan on, the white noise masks the Tinnitus so I can sleep.

Good luck

Unhappy

I've had it for over 40 years. Real low frequencies from vehicles with large amps and speakers can be extremely annoying. Wind and road noise can be dealt with using foam or better yet custom ear plugs. BOSE noise canceling headphones allow me to enjoy music while blocking most extraineous sounds that affect my tinnitus. Years of wearing poor ear protection or none at all are to blame ( you do pay a price for being careless lazy).
    RIDE SAFE
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

You rang?

Had it for years. Nothing really helps unfortunately. Less noise = less ringing and it seems to calm down a little after giving your ears a little rest.
    Really the best thing is to just ignore it. Let it be your friend as your stuck with him. Alot of the surviving of it is just let it be and not think about it.

good luck

It's too late for ear plugs.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Quote Originally Posted by Ponch1 View Post
    It's too late for ear plugs.
    Tinnitus may not be "curable" but if you have any hearing left it should be protected by whatever means possible. My ringing never stops but is tolerable and I have ~ 35% high freq loss R&L. I do find that even when I'm as well protected as possible,e.g. I ran a chain saw yesterday for 2 tanks of gas & even with very good earmuffs I got some increased ringing.
    "It's too late for ear plugs" has an ominous "ring" to it? I think some encouragement is better.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    Tinnitus may not be "curable" but if you have any hearing left it should be protected by whatever means possible. My ringing never stops but is tolerable and I have ~ 35% high freq loss R&L. I do find that even when I'm as well protected as possible,e.g. I ran a chain saw yesterday for 2 tanks of gas & even with very good earmuffs I got some increased ringing.
    "It's too late for ear plugs" has an ominous "ring" to it? I think some encouragement is better.
    Ditto this....

Tinnitus is from damaged nerve cells in the inner ear. It's not an absolute, all or nothing condition. Catch it in time and you can at least reduce the likelyhood of further damage and worse tinnitus. It's never too late to start paying attention to protecting your eyes, ears, and lungs.
    Rick

'06 BMW R1200RT
    '74 Moto-Guzzi 850-T

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    The problem with riding with earplugs is that they cut out too much sound. My tinnitus is like the old emergency broadcast system all the time. From what I can tell it affects midrange sounds, so if there is background sound, I have problems with conversations. Mine was cause my playing in rock bands with guitarists that use marshall stacks.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Tinnitus anyone?

I've got it too, along with degenerative disk disease in my lower back and arthritis in my neck, knees and hip. When I am backcountry camping is where the tinnitus bothers me the most, and the other stuff bothers me getting there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    --
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light
    '13 F800GS

Nothing I know helps

My tinnitus started only 3 years ago after a concussion; I'm 65 now, so I haven't suffered with it as long as a lot of folks here.

But, ear plugs or better helmet does not keep me from hearing the sound of cicadas 24 hours a day. I raised up under a electric meter box and hit my head above my left eye. The next night, I ask my wife if she heard all those cicadas outside. She said she didn't hear anything; I put my fingers in my ears and could still hear it and been hearing it ever since.

Actually, the wind noise over the shield on my rs gives me some relief as I don't hear it so much. My doctor told me there is not much you can do about it but try and live with it. Some good Kentucky bourbon usually helps mine for a while.

DW
    1978 R100rs MOA#22600 125cc Kymco
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Quote Originally Posted by rs100beemer View Post
    My tinnitus started only 3 years ago after a concussion; I'm 65 now, so I haven't suffered with it as long as a lot of folks here.

But, ear plugs or better helmet does not keep me from hearing the sound of cicadas 24 hours a day. I raised up under a electric meter box and hit my head above my left eye. The next night, I ask my wife if she heard all those cicadas outside. She said she didn't hear anything; I put my fingers in my ears and could still hear it and been hearing it ever since.

Actually, the wind noise over the shield on my rs gives me some relief as I don't hear it so much. My doctor told me there is not much you can do about it but try and live with it. Some good Kentucky bourbon usually helps mine for a while.

DW
    Yeah, one of the ways I figured it out too, sticking fingers in or covering my ears and it did not go away. It started in one ear and is now in both. A number of years ago I did go to an ENT. He sent me to an audiologist for a complete hearing test (in the booth) with the warning that "If they find any hearing loss they will want to sell you hearing aids. Wait and come back to me." Sure enough before checking out they stopped me at the counter for hearing aids. The doctor on the other hand didn't think I needed them at the time and said that if the tinnitus kept me awake more than just on occasion to come back.
    Chris Ehlbeck
    BMWMOA 168990
    Chris & Donna's Motorcycle Journeys

Mine is a constant high pitched tone that was greatly exacerbated one 400 mile day two years ago on the RT with shield down due to hot weather, and no earplugs. It took 6 months for it to settle down and for the ears to lose the hypersensitivity. I realized after that how damaging the wind noise coming off a fairing is. That constant roar is very damaging.

Surprised no one has mentioned that excessive salt intake or caffeine will make it worse. Very obvious to me and my ENT confirmed. Probably due to BP increase.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
    2012 R1200RT
    2012 Super Tenere
    2001 R1100RT (sold)