Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Any Alternatives to the weight of the RT ?

I first saw the F800GT at the motorcycle show last month, and was looking at another one this weekend. These are intriguing machines.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Retired User
    I've been looking for a smaller, lighter touring bike for several years. I'm 67 and not a very big guy. It seemed like I could extend my touring life with a smaller, lighter bike. The honest truth is that there is no alternative to the RT. That includes the F800GT. If you have gotten used to the protection and upright seating of the RT, you are not going to like the wind blast and forward reach of the GT. I'm keeping my RT until I can no longer hold it up.
    Bill Mayer
    MOA #98888
    R1200RT

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.

Why not?

As I have become a senior citizen, I have been looking for something lighter and easier to ride in my declining years. Since I am old, short, fat and weak, it was hard to find something suitable. Fortunately, I don't care what other people think so I ended up with a Maxi-Scooter. I wanted a BMW scooter but for some reason, BMW made the seat is very high with a lot of weight and it was unsuitable for me. I rode a friend's Burgman 650 but found it heavy with a tall seat (but not as tall as the BMW). I bought a Burgman 400 that I have been very happy with. My 08 is the same as the new ones except the new ones are available with ABS, heated grips and heated seat. A purchase price of $3,200 for a very nice ride I found on Craigs list also helped.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

No longer a member here
    I know several people who went the scooter route for the same reasons. Nothing wrong with that. Another alternative that some have chosen is the CanAm Spyder. A tad pricier than a scooter but a little more suitable for longer touring trips.

oink!

Looking at these responses confirms to me that modern bikes have largely become too porky! (Following population physical trends perhaps?) Easy to see why people hang on to their Airheads, with the very heaviest one being the R100RT 1981-84 at a mere 525# soaking wet! A bike is supposed to be fun, not work. The work factor seems to increase with the weight, especially in urban or very tight twisty environments.
    On top of that, if you ride alone, can you pick your bke up by yourself if you dump it? This may seem "old school" to some, but I just don't consider it prudent to be riding something you cannot pick up and push by yourself. Unless, of course, you are strictly a "pack rider".

Quote Originally Posted by jforgo View Post
    Looking at these responses confirms to me that modern bikes have largely become too porky! (Following population physical trends perhaps?) Easy to see why people hang on to their Airheads, with the very heaviest one being the R100RT 1981-84 at a mere 525# soaking wet! A bike is supposed to be fun, not work. The work factor seems to increase with the weight, especially in urban or very tight twisty environments.
    On top of that, if you ride alone, can you pick your bke up by yourself if you dump it? This may seem "old school" to some, but I just don't consider it prudent to be riding something you cannot pick up and push by yourself. Unless, of course, you are strictly a "pack rider".

A couple of years ago, when I was about 70, I dropped my R1100RT. Using the method demonstrated by "Skert" as many of the rallies, I was able to pick the bike up with little trouble.

But, I wouldn't mind having a roadster for the less weight but would miss the weather protection of the RT

Looking at these responses confirms to me that modern bikes have largely become too porky! (Following population physical trends perhaps?) Easy to see why people hang on to their Airheads, with the very heaviest one being the R100RT 1981-84 at a mere 525# soaking wet! A bike is supposed to be fun, not work.....

Hense the new F800GT. It weighs under 500 pounds soaking wet, has comfortable ergos, and 50% more power than an airhead.
    14 R1200GSA, 93 R100R. No car is as fun to drive as any motorcycle is to ride.

No longer a member here
    People want everything. they want peformance, they want comfort, they want handling and they want all the gadgets they are used to in their daily life plus luggage capacity.
    As a result, you have heavy bikes.
    If you design a bike with a 180 rear tire, it is going to be heavy.
    If I take one of my late 70s/early 80 bikes and add all the practical stuff that comes on a modern tourer like the K1600GT, the bike will end up weighing 800 pounds.

Just on looks alone the new? 800 GT, & other models are eye catching,..for sure. Given the specs , HP seat height, fuel cap, etc It is {IMO} a serious contender for stepping down?. I'd rather it be shaft drive. But the chain / belt is less complex? and saves weight. The Rotax engine has proven itself . And @ 85-90 HP it is more than enough ....

Quote Originally Posted by milo View Post
    Hense the new F800GT. It weighs under 500 pounds soaking wet, has comfortable ergos, and 50% more power than an airhead.
    Yes, if I was looking for something new, that does seem like an attractive ride. Haven't tried one yet...

... that does seem like an attractive ride. Haven't tried one yet...
    LOL, I really need to NOT test ride one!
    14 R1200GSA, 93 R100R. No car is as fun to drive as any motorcycle is to ride.

And I thought the RT was a light bike...
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

i know the little F650GS twin isn't in the same class as the mighty RT but i have mine set up for long distance touring and consider it to be a "mini RT" A MadStad windshield w/winglets, Aeroflow handguards, leg guards and duct deflectors do a good job of protecting you from the elements. Jesse boxes, Givi topbox and a RKA tank bag give me plenty of storage.

141956580.jpg

i also just picked up a 2007 R1200R and have also set that up for long distance touring. in addition to the BMW side cases i added a Givi 46 liter top box that i swap between the F and R bikes, a CalSci windshield, BMW hand guards, and a RKA tank bag.

148797149.jpg

i am very interested in seeing and test riding a F800GT. to me the belt drive is a big improvement over the chain on my F650

Thumbs up Glad somebody said it.

I, too am a fan of the older airheads. The only thing lacking is real power, but they do go & go. Lighter, lower seating position, all the luggage is available, and they are prettier too. You can ride an R80 or R100 as many miles in a day as you can any other bike.
    PLUS if you are so inclined, you can do ALL the work on them yourself- something noone can claim for the newer BMWs.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

Cowboyatheart

Yes I too

would like a lighter bike, a lower seat, Heated grips, cruise control (which I love), adjustable windscreen good ergonomics, linked ABS brakes, Heated seat, six speed and 90 hp or more, And some good protection from the rain and the wind.

Every time I think about looking at an alternative bike to my RT and then take my RT out for a ride, I have a hard time imagining riding anything else.
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!
    www.TasteMoringa.com Smart Mix & XM3 Energy Drink are the puppies to view...IMO