Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Center stand vs side stand?

Quote Originally Posted by aklepacki View Post
    Are there any adverse effects to a Boxer engine by routinely parking the bike using only the Side stand instead of on the Center stand?
    During riding months, I park the bike in my driveway which is concrete, not asphalt. During the winter, I park the bike in my back yard, with a cover inside a ShelterKing cycle bag. I am getting older and pulling my R100RT up onto the center stand is starting to become a chore.
    I know that leaning the bike to form a "V", it has more stability in windy conditions.
    I know that there is a "problem" with the side stand sinking into soft dirt or melted asphalt during hot summer months.
    I know that R1200C's only came with a side stand.
    Here is what I have observed. I have two BMW R100RT, one is a 1982 and the second is a 1989. The 89 is a dream to pull up in the centre stand while the 82, I have to call AMA for a tow truck to get the Bloody Thing up. I have a 2009 R1200RT and I am not sure what this animal is going to be like, as it was delivered just when the snow started to fly so I can't comment.

Agree with the Boss (Kurt) in that "One issue with using the sidestand all the time is that potentially oil can drain past the rings on the left side into the combustion chamber, resulting in some initial smoke finally leading to oil build up in the chamber. Also, in certain situations with an improper working float system on the left side, gas might be able to build up enough and fill the combustion chamber...then when you hit the start button, you get hydraulic lock and bend a rod."
    Last edited by b25bsaboy; 02-17-2013 at 04:13 PM.
    Rick MacPherson
    Success is Not a Destination, But a Journey.
    Accredited Motorcycle Appraiser
    1968 BSA Starfire, 1976 BMW R75/6, 2009 R1200RT

FWIW, The last owner of my bike had the center stand shortened so that it is super easy to use.
    Not something that I would have done, but it has made life easier.
    You could consider this option.
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

A year or so ago the local BMW shop received several F800GS bikes that had center stands on them that were just a hair too long, and made it very difficult to get the bike up on them. The owners both had the stand cut down about half an inch and they worked great afterward.

Other F800 bikes delivered at the same time did not have that issue, so it appears that BMW sourced the stands from different suppliers, or there was a problem with a jig used to weld them in the first place.
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

Quote Originally Posted by ARGENT BRICK View Post
    FWIW, The last owner of my bike had the center stand shortened so that it is super easy to use.
    Not something that I would have done, but it has made life easier.
    You could consider this option.
    "had the center stand shortened"

Never thought of that and that makes perfect sense. Thank you!
    Rick MacPherson
    Success is Not a Destination, But a Journey.
    Accredited Motorcycle Appraiser
    1968 BSA Starfire, 1976 BMW R75/6, 2009 R1200RT

You mean like Reynolds Ride-off Stand?
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S