Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: First Rally... Ever

Thanks!

Thanks for all your tips. I am really stoked for the rally! I have decided to ride through Wednesday night from Park Rapids, MN down I-94 through Minneapolis, then on to Madison, WI, then down I-39 to US 24 straight east to Lima. I hope to arrive in the morning on Thursday, but if I get too tired I will stay overnight somewhere on the way. As far as the return, I am considering the reverse of my aforementioned route, taking the ferry, or going through the UP. I will decide that at the rally. Going anywhere near Chicago is off the list.

As far as packing, I picked up a Helen 2 Wheels dry bag that should hold most of my camping gear. I'll mount it on the rear seat. My other stuff should fit in the side bags no problem. Except for a cheap lawn chair, which I intend to buy at Wal Mart in Lima. I have much experience with my camping gear (not via motorcycle), so a trial run using it isn't necessary. I may pack it all up and ride with it a bit for a handling perspective, however.

Again, thanks for the tips. See ya there!

Jim

Rob L
    One more thought came to mind regarding packing on the RT. you may want to add some mirrors to the handlebars because the baggage on the rear seat obstructs your view with the stock mirrors. A set from a GS bolt in the existing holes or you can pick up some aftermarket mirrors.
    Rob
    Don't take life too seriously, You won't get out alive!
    Rob

HODAG
    I'm thinking of taking the 12:30 am ferry on the way there. Grab some zzzz's then get up and go.
    way back is still up in the air, would prefer the UP route, or just round trip on ferry.

Andy

Question My first rally as well

Just my luck...I buy a new 04 GT this year, and my first rally will be the this one, only a hop, skip and 100 mile jump up from southwest ohio. Since I have never been to a rally before, I thought I would ask...is the quite camping, truely quite? I camp/backpack a lot so I am not concerned about gear as much as people keeping me from my solid weekend crash time (especially if I have a few )

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Just my luck...I buy a new 04 GT this year, and my first rally will be the this one, only a hop, skip and 100 mile jump up from southwest ohio. Since I have never been to a rally before, I thought I would ask...is the quite camping, truely quite? I camp/backpack a lot so I am not concerned about gear as much as people keeping me from my solid weekend crash time (especially if I have a few )

Well......That's where I camp...and I snore!!!! So as to quite, yes abeit the snoring.

IWannaGoFaster - Forever

Quiet?

...is the quite camping, truely quite?
    Well.... I only have a couple rally's under belt, but have been kept awake by the nocturnal thunder. Bring a couple pair of soft foam earplugs that you can sleep on, should help.

IWannaGoFaster - Forever

Arrow Park Rapids on...

If you have the time, following the Muddy Miss, either Hywy 61 in MN or Hywy 35 (my fav) on the WI side are great rides. We're taking the scenic from the Twin Cities to about the Quad Cities then 24 across.

2006 K1200GT, 1986 K100 merrittgene's Avatar

Circuitous routing

Just my luck...I buy a new 04 GT this year, and my first rally will be the this one, only a hop, skip and 100 mile jump up from southwest ohio.
    Like I heard someone else say:

Distance from A to B, is 100 miles "as a crow flies" but might be 200 miles by car. We don't criticize the car for the difference. The same trip might be 400 miles by motorcycle. Hey, it's not the motorcycle's fault, either.

Another friend says, "The shortest distance between two points is irrelevant."

So, take the scenic route to Lima, or home from Lima.

At least you don't have a straight-line 600 mile route from home to Lima...time constraints keep me from adding much excitement to my route.
    Gene Merritt - Ames, IA - BMWMOA#111610 - IBA#21886 - Rounder #26 - Webmeister, Bahnsturmers
    ---- 1986 K100 ---- 2006 K1200GT ---- 2001 F650GSD ----

BUBBAZANETTI
    I am not concerned about gear as much as people keeping me from my solid weekend crash time (especially if I have a few )

this is generally the reason i have a few, solid weekend crash time no matter the situation!

Lightbulb Ditto on the deer

Just remember you don't hit the one you see, you hit the one behind it.
    Motolights make great deer finders up close, just look for the eyes!

DZIMBRIC

Sir. Put down the road map and step away....

robin
    Why are you still home? If my Adult Supevisor said take as much time as you need I would be out the door RIGHT NOW. You can always wait to check the tires at the first gas stop and there are Salvation Army stores if you need to get something else to wear.

Tom42 posted a good set of direciton to avoid Chicago with some scenic routes and stops. Here is the link. http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...ed=1#post70271

I helped plan the routes and did some pre-rides for him. You don't need to go as far south as 24. You'll get rnough of that long straight boring road after you get into Eastern Indiana.

Unregistered
    Ear plugs and an open mind, you will have a great time! Try Volunteering too great way to get involved.

DZIMBRIC

A properly packed bike

See picture for instructions on how/what to pack ion your bike

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar

Lots of fun can be had without debauchery

Really. It does happen. Just bring the sense of humor.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Quote Originally Posted by dzimbric
    What's that extra tire hiding behind your bike?