Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Backwards Zipper ?

On the Road

Question Backwards Zipper ?

I recently purchased a TourShell jacket. It seems nice, but the zipper is on the left side for both the outer jacket and inner liner. IÔÇÖll probably get used to it, but right now it seems awkward. Does any one know why they use a left handed Zipper?

Thanks
    Bill

Was it made in England? The Barbour waxed cotton clothing that I use is the same kinda deal. OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Because it's a European design. This is a common design among Euro clothing designers. I have 2 Rev'It jackets that both have "backwards" zippers. Once you use them a few times, it becomes natural.
    Craig
    New York's Hudson Valley Region
    2009 R1200RT
    MOA #146131 IBA #55715

waterproof?

I just picked up a Tourshell jacket today. I didn't expect the left hand zipper but I'll get used to it

Wore it home 100 mile trip loved it.

I'm hoping it's as waterproof as they claim
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

Rally Rat

RE: Backwards Zipper ?

I got so used to my Rev'It jacket that I forget where the zipper is on my Olympia.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

If a person has trouble with a zipper should they be allowed to ride a motorcycle?
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

leftie

Anyone who says this is a "European" design is an idiot. Everyone with the slightest degree of intelligence knows that the 'wrong side' zipper, just like a blouse, is made for women.
    You bought the wrong jacket.

93 K1100LT
    03 K1200GT

Quote Originally Posted by flars View Post
    Anyone who says this is a "European" design is an idiot. Everyone with the slightest degree of intelligence knows that the 'wrong side' zipper, just like a blouse, is made for women.
    Whoa! Really? Hope you're joking. Some designers actually have the zippers that way even on men's jackets. My Hugo Boss dress coats and over coats are left handed zippers.

Calling people's comments out as idiots? Really? I've seen very few responses like that on this forum.
    Jason
    Grand rapids, MI
    2012 BMW R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    If a person has trouble with a zipper should they be allowed to ride a motorcycle?
    If a lifetime of freedom from zipper problems was a requirement for a motorcycle endorsement, I'd have never gotten mine. (Think I was about 5 when I first caught my scrotum in a pants zipper. Mommie!!!) Can't recall THAT again being a problem, but certainly have had problems with rain jacket zippers, tank bag zippers, and ... I believe that zipper problems are not unknown in even BMW branded garments. I can (and do) live with left hand zippers.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Rally Rat

RE: Backwards Zipper ?

Quote Originally Posted by RAINEY View Post
    Whoa! Really? Hope you're joking. Some designers actually have the zippers that way even on men's jackets. My Hugo Boss dress coats and over coats are left handed zippers.

Calling people's comments out as idiots? Really? I've seen very few responses like that on this forum.
    I'm going to guess that since his interest is ballroom dancing that if he isn't joking his point doesn't hold much water.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

I thought it was just humor and simply wasn't in the "special" mood required to take offense.

But I have to say after years and years of BMW jackets, I never noticed. I mean, the zipper's in the center of the front of the jacket, after all. I can sleep on a mattress with a pea under it, too.

PS: If you go to Barbasol's Facebook page you can find someone complaining about their World War 2 themed commercial because his grandfather died in that conflict. Some don't have to look far to find something to complain about, it appears. Still, "listen hashtag, stop LOLing everything."
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

na1g
    Can't work a zipper? That's why they invented Velcro.

p

Quote Originally Posted by na1g View Post
    Can't work a zipper? That's why they invented Velcro.

p
    Ya but, that left handed velcro is so hard to use

On the Road
    Thanks for the replies.

It did say ÔÇ£mens size 60" on one of the tags.
    I donÔÇÖt deny being an idot though (My wife will vouch for it).

Point taken However, after almost 50 years of riding, Im kinda on the wrong end of the timeline to benefit from it.

Of course itÔÇÖs a small issue; I just thought IÔÇÖd tap into the wisdom of this forum to learn if there was a reason for it.

By the way, does anyone know what kind of oil I should use in my RT ?

Bill