Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Too much Turbulence on my 88 RS windscreen

Quote Originally Posted by saggs View Post
    Wow, Thanks for all the input. I kinda feel like I'm in a video game or somthing w/ the foam ear plugs I wear when I'm riding this bike. They make me feel pretty disconnected w/ traffic ( horns and sirens), I guess you could get used to it?
    You do get used to it. I've been wearing earplugs for almost thirty years, and have no trouble hearing traffic noises, horns, and sirens. A face-to-face conversation with someone else is challenging, but doable. If I could get more attenuation than is provided by the foamies I wear - they're comfy for me and as or more effective than other types - I would.

Clear air over the helmet is good. No buffeting.
    Last edited by dbrick; 02-15-2013 at 06:09 PM.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by dbrick View Post
    You do get used to it. I've been wearing earplugs for almost thirty years, and have no trouble with traffic noises, horns, or sirens. A face-to-face conversation with someone else is challenging, but doable. If I could get more attenuation than is provided by the foamies I wear - they're comfy for me and as or more effective than any other types - I would.

Clear air over the helmet is good. No buffeting.
    I'm an earplug convert. Never wore them in my youth. Started wearing them back when my Nolan N100 flipup was my everyday helmet and I've never looked back. Air buffeting over or around a windshield can create some nasty sound and unpleasantness for sure. Get that taken care of, but still keep wearing the plugs. You won't be sorry.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

I love the stock windshield on my RS fairing. I tried different combinations, but stock worked out to be best. I do have bar back's and S handlebars. I personally don't like the K-S bars. I have a set that I willing to sell you if want to try them (you can PM me). Some of it is personal preference. As far as I am concerned the RS fairing is the pretties fairing ever made. Stock works best. It will put your helmet into the wind, but the fairing will protect your shoulders. BMW knew what they were doing in the wind tunnel back in the day. Parabellum is an option for you, Gustaffson makes windshields and then there is stock. Taller is not always better. A lamiar lip will not work with your current shield, as it appears from the picture that it already has that, and from what you are saying you want a shorter shield not taller one. This is all part of the "personalizing" your bike to you. Good luck.
    Keep the rubber side down!!
    1986 R 80 RS
    1992 R 100 R
    BMW MOA Life member; Ironbutt Member; Airhead Member

Yep. There's nothing wrong with having your head in the wind so long as there's not a bunch of swirling and buffeting going on.

I mean, you can go for the high after market shield, and if it's high enough, it should push the wind OVER our head, but having your head in the "natural" wind is certainly not all that undesirable.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

While you're at it, get some of the BMW rivets to mount your next windshield. Bolting it on is really dangerous.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

have an 88 Rs stock and had an 84 with a taller aftermarket screen. Both are/were awful noise wise without earplugs. I have a 78 rs also with a real tall WS of unknown provenance and RT like bars, so tall that the WS is OK but it ruins the looks of the bike. I am 5'7".. Read somewhere that the best solution was to use the stock WS and cut it down an inch or two to get clean air to your helmet w/out buffeting/noise and without affecting the looks of the bike much. Have not tried it but after all other combinations I have had and not liking any of them I might go for it. I hate to "cut" though.

Huckleberry, Gilera &Toad kstoo's Avatar
    I found the best combination for me [5'10" RS bars or K100S bars] was the factory stock windshield with a Laminar Lip attached. The lip really alleviated a lot of the turbulence yet it is easy to remove if you want to be in the wind on a really hot day.

PS: BMW rivets are not necessary. There are no data to show that any one has ever been killed or injured by bolting a windshield properly. Nylon hardware that prevents over torquing is advised so that the plexiglass is not damaged and they breakaway in the event of a go-through.
    1980 R100T (Gilera), 1982 R100RT (Toad), 1975 R60/6 (cern?¡calo)
    Adventures at the Cave

There is simply no such thing as bolts/nuts that will break away in the fashion the rivets will. For sure you won't find them at Home Depot. You could walk up to an RS with the proper rivets and yank the windshield off by hand with very little effort.

BTW, it's good to know that the "windshield" is not a windshield--rather it's a clear piece that completes the styling of the fairing. I suppose if you were pretty short, you could duck behind it on a high speed run just like a "racer."

On the RS I rode I fitted one maybe 2 inches taller (but same styling) simply so I could see underneath to the clock and voltmeter. A tinted Luftmeister.

IMHO there's nothing dumber looking than an RS with a stand up vertical "windshield." Talk about unclear on the concept. Kind of like putting a Camry label on your Porsche.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Having had three of them, I've always thought that helmet level turbulence was just part of the RS experience.

And I'm not going to put an aftermarket windshield on, and spoil the lines. Or seat, for that matter.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Well I guess I spoiled the lines on mine. The humanity! OH NO!!!

I put bar backs on it, RT style larger mirrors and mirror extenders so I could actually see what's behind me and a tinted Parabellum medium height windscreen which actually works quite well. She slips down the highway real nice.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

All this being said, is Max BMW or another outlet the best place to get an oem shield? Can you get these tinted or clear? My current ws is screwed on rather than being riveted so I'll see how that goes. Are the k75S bars the ones to get, I see a couple pr for sale on ebay?? Thx

Registered User Ozadventurerider's Avatar
    IHMO I prefer to leave the original screen as is. (I'm 5ft 11) Buying new screens can be a real suck it & see unless you have determined the desired shape for you. I recommend to other riders they first get an idea of where they need to make screen changes then cut some stiff cardboard & duct tape it onto their screen & go ride, test, trim, re-test till you get a shape that works - Then go shopping.

Many years ago, we lapped Australia on my RS. Back then I fitted a 3" rise to the original screen (2 small screws & duct tape & a lip). Worked a treat! Today however I have an even simpler solution. Now this is not a plug but rather is one example, we have a Wunderlich part called an Vario Ergo Screen Extension - attaches (clamps on) in two minutes via 2x S/Steel grub screws with a rubber pad to not mark the screen - great idea, range of positions & would do what I did 20 years ago with out drilling. Plus you can take it off & there is the original bike.

I am about to test this part on my 04 950 Adventure Kato as I get turbulence at about 65 mphr when wearing a peaked ADV helmet. Holding 4 fingers above the screen lip at that speed resolves the problem. My first RS (the 78 that lapped Oz) is in full restoration but will arise as a 76 copy. The Rennesport solo seat now on it makes a big difference for me ! The standard screen is fine as with this seat you are dropped lower into the 'Integral Cockpit' (BMW marketing back then) The problem I had originally was riding 2 up & therefore sitting more upright & closer to the screen. Hope this info assists your fix ...Cheers RTO:b
    Last edited by Ozadventurerider; 02-16-2013 at 11:32 PM.
    Ron (RTO) Durkin (Australia)
    Member BMW Mcc QLD since '79
    Member BMW MOA since '82
    Airheads & Bricks works for me ...Mate

Check the Resources and Links thread near the bottom...there are a number of aftermarket companies that may have alternative screens.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Jim Carr

shield

I have a 83 R100Rs with stock tinted screen, K75 bars and Schuberth C3 helmet. I'm in heaven!!!!

JCARR, which model K75 bars are you running? Are they the C or S or ???Thx for the tips