Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 40

Thread: 3 Million Canadians visit Florida each year! Please Read!

  1. #16
    Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    879
    I believe it to be an unintended oversight and for now "much ado about nothing". The only concerning issue would be as another poster said should one have and accident etc. and not be properly protected by an overzealous insurer. I have never had anything but very courteous interaction with LEOs in the USA and when I have been asked to produce a drivers licence it has often brought on a conversation about when they or a relative has been in my province - all good.
    Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]

  2. #17
    2011 R1200RT ka5ysy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Posts
    786
    Apologies to our Canadian friends. It seems we Americans have a penchant lately for electing complete idiots who have to write some piece of legislation to fix something that is not and has never been a problem. Nor does it seem they have a clue about basic economics. Most of them cannot balance a checkbook or figure out a budget either.
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

  3. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eastern KY
    Posts
    3,198
    OK, I'll take a shot-what do you expect from "lawmakers" as they are called and given the fact that they are mostly lawyers?
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

  4. #19
    Prefers to play martinph's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Armstrong, BC
    Posts
    688
    Quote Originally Posted by bogthebasher View Post
    I believe it to be an unintended oversight and for now "much ado about nothing". The only concerning issue would be as another poster said should one have and accident etc. and not be properly protected by an overzealous insurer. I have never had anything but very courteous interaction with LEOs in the USA and when I have been asked to produce a drivers licence it has often brought on a conversation about when they or a relative has been in my province - all good.
    Obviously you were not riding fast enough!
    Martin. BMW MOA Ambassador.17748
    BMW MOA Charter, Life member.
    Valley BMW Riders. British Columbia.

  5. #20
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,642
    Quote Originally Posted by martinPH View Post
    Obviously you were not riding fast enough!
    Our weather sucks and we have no ocean beaches, but we'll gladly welcome you and your money.....

    ........You've Got A Friend in Pennsylvania.......
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

  6. #21
    Registered User RINTY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    4,287
    I can see thousands of angry retired Snowbirds marching on the legislature....
    Rinty

    "When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

  7. #22
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,642
    Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    I can see thousands of angry retired Snowbirds marching on the legislature....
    Angry Canadians? Off the hockey rink?
    Isn't that a bit like the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus?
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

  8. #23
    Swamp Fox GeneT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    350

    Permit?

    These folks don't need a permit, they need a map. They also should know we make right hand turns from the right lane, NOT the left. Basically they are lost, county and city maps are available with street names. Often I wonder how they got this far without crashing.
    Gene T

  9. #24
    Registered User RINTY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    4,287
    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Angry Canadians?
    They're too far away from our politicians to be able to carp about them; so now they have the opportunity to carp about the Florida legislators.

    Their association is even called CARP.
    Rinty

    "When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

  10. #25
    Kbiker BCKRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    749
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneT View Post
    These folks don't need a permit, they need a map. They also should know we make right hand turns from the right lane, NOT the left. Basically they are lost, county and city maps are available with street names. Often I wonder how they got this far without crashing.
    They didn't crash because the airline pilot was competent. You guys only make right turns from the right lane? Well, what if you are in the left lane and suddenly see your turn coming up? Are you saying there is NOT a "senior citizen clause" that allows turns to either the left or right across traffic lanes if you are over 65? Well maybe you guys need to figure out how many bucks 3 million Canadian tourists drop in your state every year, and what percentage are over 65!

    So, lose those International Driving Permits and Get Out Of Our Way if you value your economy.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

  11. #26
    Swamp Fox GeneT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    350

    Permits

    Quote Originally Posted by BCKRIDER View Post
    They didn't crash because the airline pilot was competent. You guys only make right turns from the right lane? Well, what if you are in the left lane and suddenly see your turn coming up? Are you saying there is NOT a "senior citizen clause" that allows turns to either the left or right across traffic lanes if you are over 65? Well maybe you guys need to figure out how many bucks 3 million Canadian tourists drop in your state every year, and what percentage are over 65!

    So, lose those International Driving Permits and Get Out Of Our Way if you value your economy.
    Well Well Well, BCKRider, Its not hard to tell where your mind is "DOLLARS SPENT", dollars do not make safety, dollars do not make courtesy, dollars do not make consideration of others, dollars do not supersede driving ability. Do you think you and come down here, spend money and do what ever it is you want? Oh yeah, I almost forgot, your friends and fellow countrymen carry Canadian Tags on their cars, ever notice that? It has little to do with airlines. I am 80 years old and I still know left from right and when I am talking to an idiot.
    Besides I am retired and don't need your dollars, never did.
    Gene T

  12. #27
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,642
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneT View Post
    I still know left from right and when I am talking to an idiot.
    Besides I am retired and don't need your dollars, never did.
    In the immortal words of that great philosopher,

    "......Can't we all just get along?......."

    And, might I suggest, if a snowbird is traveling south via an airplane, wouldn't you get more bang for the "loonie" if the flight ended in Puerto Rico or Havana? In addition, wouldn't that send a stronger message to Mr. Scott and his friends in the FL Legislature? Or, you can still go to FL and deal with the added hassle, but it is your choice.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

  13. #28
    blah blah blah squiffynimrod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Regina SK Canada
    Posts
    503
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneT View Post
    These folks don't need a permit, they need a map. They also should know we make right hand turns from the right lane, NOT the left. Basically they are lost, county and city maps are available with street names. Often I wonder how they got this far without crashing.
    Gene T, they do it here when they're not down there. 2 major farm shows here annually, and you can tell when they arrive. But instead of smaller passenger vehicles we get the 4X4 dually crew cab diesel truck going 30 km/h in a 50 zone, gawking and pulling hard rights from the left lane. Most have come from small town and rural areas where traffic is light and they can drive any way they want. Put them in an unfamiliar environment with bad habits and we both see the results. I think the biggest difference is you see way more of them all the time, and they're not willing or unable to adapt to different driving needs. I feel your pain.
    1985 R80RT/ 2002 R1150GSA
    IBA # 44032

  14. #29
    Kbiker BCKRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    749
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneT View Post
    Well Well Well, BCKRider, Its not hard to tell where your mind is "DOLLARS SPENT", dollars do not make safety, dollars do not make courtesy, dollars do not make consideration of others, dollars do not supersede driving ability. Do you think you and come down here, spend money and do what ever it is you want? Oh yeah, I almost forgot, your friends and fellow countrymen carry Canadian Tags on their cars, ever notice that? It has little to do with airlines. I am 80 years old and I still know left from right and when I am talking to an idiot.
    Besides I am retired and don't need your dollars, never did.
    Hey, Gene T, I'm sure you didn't reach the age of 80 without a sense of humour. I'm truly sorry my own version of humour riled you instead of at least getting a chuckle. Good lesson for all of us though that what we type can be taken very litteraly when we meant to be ironic and at least a little funny. So, my fault, not yours.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

  15. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eastern KY
    Posts
    3,198
    I think it would be kinda fun to see a couple of senior citizens really get after it! Keep it up and maybe it will happen?
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •