Thread: rear drive spline lube

Hybrid View

rear drive spline lube

How often should the driveshaft splines be inspected and lubed on a 2003 GS1150? Thanks

Every day. Sorry for the bad news bro..maybe you soul save yourself the hassle and sell it to me.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote

Rally Rat
    There is no spec that I've ever heard of. I think most folks will lube those splines if the bike is apart for some other reason, but that's about it. The front and rear splines of the driveshaft are held in place by circlips. I've never heard of the "middle" splines having an issue.

exactly which splines are you referring to?
    you said "rear drive" in your thread title, and "driveshaft splines" in the body of yyour question.

regardless, as Jim stated, nothing specified, but most likely time is when you're in there for something else, like replacing/adjusting pivot bearings, or fixing a leaking shaft seal in rear hub.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

I do mine every time I remove the rear wheel as that is when I change the final drive lube anyway. On my 06 it is necessary to drop the drive to drain it and that exposes the rear splines. The last time I looked the splines had plenty of grease left in place I used a mixture of Honda Moly 60 and Wurth 3000 grease.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)