Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Route 66

Be sure to follow the old 66 through the small towns along the way. For example, it's faster to bypass Tucumcari, NM, but if you take the exit, you get to see some classics like the Blue Swallow Motel which was built in the early days of the route and is still in operation. The rooms are quite small by today's standards, but clean and well-kept. It depends on whether you want to go fast and just say that you rode the route or you want to see some of the history, but for me, the small towns are a lot of fun to see.
    2012 K1600GTL

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    Be sure to follow the old 66 through the small towns along the way. For example, it's faster to bypass Tucumcari, NM, but if you take the exit, you get to see some classics like the Blue Swallow Motel which was built in the early days of the route and is still in operation. The rooms are quite small by today's standards, but clean and well-kept. It depends on whether you want to go fast and just say that you rode the route or you want to see some of the history, but for me, the small towns are a lot of fun to see.
    Isn't the Blue Swallow the hotel that has a room designed to garage your bike as well?

Az66

AZ has the best left of US66, imo. I ride it frequently, all year too. Couple favorites are SeligmanAZ and OatmanAZ. WlliamsAZ too. Most of the AZ US66 is decent enough, not hot until you descend into NeedlesCA and the Colorado River. My preference there is very early morning or night only(Summer). I get caught in the Mojave on occasion, riding midday and its doable, with knowledge of desert riding. Not real comfy though. The Kingman to Barstow is a stretch, a long day if sightseeing US66(200+miles). A neat ride, all of AZ., western CA.. The US66 roads are fairly well kept, with some of the roughest sections in CA..Be prepared for winds in the Mojave parts, as it can blow out there. Randy