Thread: Can i double up the bar risers? 2012 R1200RT

Hybrid View

Can i double up the bar risers? 2012 R1200RT

Short guy with...short arms.

R1200rt

Purchased helibar risers which really help. But... I really want max satisfaction which = sitting just a little more upright.

Can I:

Double up the risers for twice as much up and back effect? Seems plausible as the whole pattern is ready for it.

I do understand clutch cable needs extending but o/w see any issues?

Fwiw i am really not interested in pursuing a different bar riser. This question really is a generic question re: doubling up ANY bar riser...
    And...
    I understand the yoda position thing so dont spend alot of time trying to explain how i should be bending fwd a little anyway. Thanks.

Ok go
    Last edited by deilenberger; 02-19-2013 at 04:06 AM. Reason: added year/model to title

ozonewanderer
    I remember seeing some photos from someone who did this with excellent results. Try a search on this and Luxury Touring forums. I'm sure the cables would need to be lengthened.

Can i double up the bar risers?

If you are going to try this, please keep us posted... I would also be interested.
    -Steve
    2012 R1200RT Midnight Blue Metalic - 2009 Gillera Fucco

I am short-armed and short-legged with a long torso. This required a lot of adjustment of the RT. I won't go into the inseam accommodations but here goes for the arms...

My sleeve length is 33" and I was riding with stacked, double bar-backs from Suburban Machinery. The clutch cable was fine but it was the front brake cable that needed replacing. You will need to snip a few zip-ties to allow a little more play in the wiring. This worked pretty well but I still needed a bit more back and up.

I did a bit of research on the various options and found that the CVM Touring bar-backs actually move the bars up and back quite a bit more that the Suburban Machinery ones. I ordered two sets. These are *really* high quality bar-backs and show unusual attention to fit and design detail. However, with the CVMs stacked, the upper set collided with the tank bag rack. CVM's excellent customer service took one set back right away with a full refund.

So, now I have the CVMs mounted to the tripple tree and the Suburban Machinery stacked upon them. This has moved the grips up and back an additional 0.5-0.7" compared to the stacked Suburban Machinery sets. I'll need to free up just a smidge more wiring flexibility and check the throttle free play, but all looks good so far.

Here is a photo as I was figuring out the best combination (black = CVM; silver = SM):

Remember, I did have to lengthen the brake line...

HTH,
    Theo

2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i

One additional comment about stacking bar-backs...

Those folks who spend most of their time in a relaxed "touring" mode may find this mod a benefit. However, those who spend most of their time in a more "sporty" mode of riding may find that this change could tend to "disconnect" the rider from the bike a bit. I'm not sure why that is, but without bar-backs I felt a bit more connected to the dynamics of the front end. I suppose as my body raised up and back, the extension of the bars absorbed a bit of the feel before it got to my hands. Not sure if that accounts for it but I thought I'd mention it for those who are sensitive to this.

FWIW,
    Theo

2012 rt cables

Where did you get the brake lines made ? And what about the throttle

Quote Originally Posted by rhood1960 View Post
    Where did you get the brake lines made ? And what about the throttle
    The top brake line (singular) I ordered from Spiegler and specified (IIRC) +3" in length. It is a high-quality line and cost about $65. I had my dealer install the line at the same time as they did the (front lower) brake line recall.

The throttle cables were fine with the stacked SM bar-backs, but with my new configuration, they are a tad tight in full-lock toward the right. When the weather warms up a bit, I'll take off the tupperware again and see if I can get a little more free-play. If not, I'm not sure I'll try to get lengthened throttle cables as the tightness is only apparent a full right lock. I rarely travel at speed in full right lock, anyway . Also, with the motor running, I notice no change in rpm in full right lock and the throttle-on and off action is smooth.

The wiring needed to be freed-up from its factory (tightly!) zip-tied configuration even with the stacked SMs. I think someone's brother has a zip-tie plant in Munich; Motorrad does not spare the zip-ties nor the over-tightness (IMHO) with which they are installed! I should note that an inspection of the semi-freed wiring last fall during a throttle-body sync showed no evidence of chafing or kinking in the freed areas.

HTH,
    Theo

I'm curious. What kind of tires do you have and how many miles on them?
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Quote Originally Posted by RoboRider View Post
    I'm curious. What kind of tires do you have and how many miles on them?
    Original Pilot Roads (NOT 2s or 3s) with about 9,300 miles on them. Front and rear center treads are flattening out...time to change.

I'm also curious...why doth thou ask?
    Theo