Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Changes of motorcycle seat heights overtime?

Rad,
    You're right on target- Its not all about height but also width. Most of todays bikes are way fat in the seat area adding to perceptions of height and difficulty flat footing.
    Like you I've always preferred a good 750-900 class bike, sport touring with decent weather protection, there was of course notihng available when I bought my 08 RT so I've learned to deal with its heft though I'd be just as happy with a punchier, smaller motor that revved better, had a wider torque curve and and 80-90 peak hp. But I'd sure like to keep a good shaft drive. I also intend to look at the 800GT.

My 06 K1200GT feels lower and lighter than 08 R1200RT no matter what specs say..A the late K1200RS (brick motor) lower and lighter yet. The current 6 cyl BMWs hold no appeal for me.

The 800ST was a poor design and miss. Medocre handling, wrong ergos for me.
    Last edited by racer7; 02-14-2013 at 02:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by racer7 View Post
    Rad,
    You're right on target- Its not all about height but also width. Most of todays bikes are way fat in the seat area adding to perceptions of height and difficulty flat footing.
    Like you I've always preferred a good 750-900 class bike, sport touring with decent weather protection, there was of course notihng available when I bought my 08 RT so I've learned to deal with its heft though I'd be just as happy with a punchier, smaller motor that revved better, had a wider torque curve and and 80-90 peak hp. But I'd sure like to keep a good shaft drive. I also intend to look at the 800GT.

My 06 K1200GT feels lower and lighter than 08 R1200RT no matter what specs say..A the late K1200RS (brick motor) lower and lighter yet. The current 6 cyl BMWs hold no appeal for me.

The 800ST was a poor design and miss. Medocre handling, wrong ergos for me.
    It largely depends on ergonomical necessities.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    That is a crack up.
    What is a "crack up"?
    14 R1200GSA, 93 R100R. No car is as fun to drive as any motorcycle is to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by milo View Post
    What is a "crack up"?

Two bikes that are so different, look the same on paper.

Yes they do look different. For traditional British styling there's always the Royal Enfield. My point being they do make, and we do have the choice of buying, lighter weight motorcycles with seat heights similar to what we rode in the 1970's.
    14 R1200GSA, 93 R100R. No car is as fun to drive as any motorcycle is to ride.

Yes they do look different. For traditional British styling there's always the Royal Enfield. My point being they do make, and we do have the choice of buying, lighter weight motorcycles with seat heights similar to what we rode in the 1970's.
    That is a fair statement

Cowboyatheart

List of low seat heights

The problem is a motorcycle cannot offer all four; comfortable leg room, ample ground and cornering clearance, adequate suspension travel, and a low seat, at the same time. Nevertheless there may be more low seat motorcycles to choose from now than any other time.

We thought it would be fun to compile a list of major-manufacturer motorcycles with the lowest seat heights. Seat height is of supreme importance to most women riders, as the ability to place one's feet flat on the ground is perhaps the most important factor in giving women the confidence they need to handle a bike.
    We chose 26 inches as the cut-off seat height for this list. Our original list, compiled back in 2009, used 26.5 inches as the cut-off height. However, over the last few years, seat heights on new models have been coming out of the factories much lower, so we've lowered the cut-off height by half an inch.

http://www.womenridersnow.com/pages/....aspx?lid=1170
    And no standard seating position.

I don't like cruiser positions myself.

Thanks though.
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!
    www.TasteMoringa.com Smart Mix & XM3 Energy Drink are the puppies to view...IMO

Thumbs up Seat Height 2006 R1200RT

I took a different approach after reading on this site some advice. I have lowered my bike and added a Russell Daylong saddle. These two items have almost canceled each other out. So it was mentioned that adding to the soles of your boots can help. I had a boot shop add 1/2" to the sole and heel of my boots and it has made a hell of a difference.
    Give it a try.