Thread: Lifting an Oil head

Hybrid View

Lifting an Oil head

Anyone ever lifted an oilhead using a 'jack' type lift? I know it would lift by way of the engine, but I think it would be less stressful than normal riding,particularly like the GS guys going off road.

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    Anyone ever lifted an oilhead using a 'jack' type lift? I know it would lift by way of the engine, but I think it would be less stressful than normal riding,particularly like the GS guys going off road.
    Huh ?
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

WhachoutalkinboutWillis?
    IBA #44567 Pres. Springfield BMW Roadriders
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Quote Originally Posted by Ken F View Post
    WhachoutalkinboutWillis?

Willis?....anyway. I mean the jack type lifts, normally used on H/Ds & cruisers. But placing the pads on the engine.

I have a Handy drive-on...but my KLT project is on it currently , and I want to do some wheel stuff to my Roadster, so I;m going to try my other lift/jack.

You are fine supporting the bike from underneath the engine on a large pad, just make sure you have the bike secured so you don't tip it as you remove the wheels. Along those lines, put wood blocks, a paint can or something else under the opposite end of the bike from the tire you are removing to make sure the bike tip forward or backward.

When I was disassembling my '96 parts bike, I had it on the center stand with the front wheel and a bunch of other parts removed. The bike was leaning back with a wood block under the FD. I removed the rear wheel and the bike promptly tipped forward, gained forward speed as the center stand folded up, and landed square on the engine case. There was no damage aside from a few scuffs on the case, but it was fun to lift back up. Given what I did, your lift shouldn't cause any damage and will be much more secure than my mistake.

and here is your answer to "Willis?"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCrjLVSapII

Quote Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
    You are fine supporting the bike from underneath the engine on a large pad, just make sure you have the bike secured so you don't tip it as you remove the wheels. Along those lines, put wood blocks, a paint can or something else under the opposite end of the bike from the tire you are removing to make sure the bike tip forward or backward.

When I was disassembling my '96 parts bike, I had it on the center stand with the front wheel and a bunch of other parts removed. The bike was leaning back with a wood block under the FD. I removed the rear wheel and the bike promptly tipped forward, gained forward speed as the center stand folded up, and landed square on the engine case. There was no damage aside from a few scuffs on the case, but it was fun to lift back up. Given what I did, your lift shouldn't cause any damage and will be much more secure than my mistake.

and here is your answer to "Willis?"***
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCrjLVSapII

**** LOL!

Thanks, and yes i am aware of the tipping and will be careful of it.

Ron