Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: First Aide Kit

First aid kit

fwiw- I firmly believe that a first aid kit IS important to have, even if it is a basic kit. Usually use it each trip, either for myself for a little cut or others in the group. I also carry a medical card in my billfold stating blood type, contact people with phone numbers, etc. I have been riding for more than 45 years and what I carry is based on experience and past need. Again, FWIW.

Have a soft sided military first aid kit
    Added a few things to it
    1 couple packs of Quick Clot
    2 Benedryl. Handy for insect stings
    3 Cayenne Pepper 1oz. Believe it or not great to stop bleeding from road rash, American Indians have used it for hundreds of years, their is no pain from it and it clots surface abrasions
    4 Aleve

There is a company called Campmor that has camping and hiking supplies that sells several first aid kits of different sizes and price ranges. You can pick the one that best suits your needs and pocketbook. You can find them at campmor.com, I've bought lots of things from them over the years and they do a good job. Jerry

first aid kit

Didn't know about the cayenne pepper. Interesting and will add it to my kit. Also ++ for camphor.com I also have ordered many things from them. Good folks to do business with. Thanks for the info.

First aide kits

I have always carried a first aide kit. I feel better knowing it is there! I also put a sticker on the outside of the pannier indicating that it contains a first aide kit. A number of the contents expire and need replacing on an annual basis. I bought a commercial sized kit online and am stripping it to supply a smaller one for the bike. Buying a large kit and stripping it was cheaper than a small kit that needs more things added.

Mine rides in one pocket of my tankbag and includes the following

1x medical shears
    1x Kerlix Gauze
    1x Israeli bandage
    1x Quick Clot Gauze
    1x Sharpie
    1x Tourniquet
    Then various little things like chapstick, Motrin, Imodium tabs and Benedryl. Doesn't take up a lot of space and will allow you to save someones life by buying them enough time for the pros to show up.[/QUOTE]

+1 on this list. Very similar to mine. You have to think about what kinds of injuries you might have to deal with, what your abilities are, and how long before help arrives. Most people carry far too many band-aids. Space is precious, so what is going to keep someone alive is my first thought. If going off pavement I would also add a few triangle bandages to the mix. You might have to do a partial evacuation and need to immobilize something.

As a retired medic, I do not recommend that you keep personal medication in your first aid kit. In an emergency, many people will grab your kit and you never see it again. Your Rx is in the hands of a complete stranger. Not good. Ideally, you should use the victims first aid kit first.

Get training before you buy a first aid kit. You will have a better idea of what you need. Try your local Red Cross chapter. Many of them also offer simple kits in real nifty cases. I would also recommend training in auto extrication. You should be able to get that from your local two year college if they offer an EMT program. It also may be offered through your local fire department. Another route for first aid training is to take a CERT course. Normally the classes are free or close to it. Lots of fun too.

For a kit, try one of the new military individual first aid kits. Google "IFAK" and see what comes up. Keep in mind that each branch of the military has a different IFAK. The nylon IFAK case is a good place to start if you want to build a small kit.

Stat Packs also makes nice gear, including a safety vest with pockets for medical gear. Most of their gear will be bigger than you think you need, but still worth looking at.
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

Quote Originally Posted by ARGENT BRICK View Post
    As a retired medic, I do not recommend that you keep personal medication in your first aid kit. In an emergency, many people will grab your kit and you never see it again. Your Rx is in the hands of a complete stranger. Not good. Ideally, you should use the victims first aid kit first.

Get training before you buy a first aid kit. You will have a better idea of what you need. Try your local Red Cross chapter. Many of them also offer simple kits in real nifty cases. I would also recommend training in auto extrication. You should be able to get that from your local two year college if they offer an EMT program. It also may be offered through your local fire department. Another route for first aid training is to take a CERT course. Normally the classes are free or close to it. Lots of fun too.

For a kit, try one of the new military individual first aid kits. Google "IFAK" and see what comes up. Keep in mind that each branch of the military has a different IFAK. The nylon IFAK case is a good place to start if you want to build a small kit.

Stat Packs also makes nice gear, including a safety vest with pockets for medical gear. Most of their gear will be bigger than you think you need, but still worth looking at.
    +1. I'm a former civilian paramedic also and have seen a lot of people spend A LOT of money on IFAKs and have no clue how to correctly and safely use most of the contents. Training is a must. Not only will you learn valuable skills, you'll help to develop a first responder mindset, which will help you remain calm and focused during a critical incident. Plus, first aid training is great for everyday life, not just motorcycling.
    Craig
    New York's Hudson Valley Region
    2009 R1200RT
    MOA #146131 IBA #55715

In case of a mental crash, the first aid kit is a great place to hide a spare ignition key.
    Sam, 08 GS

TravelsWithBarley.com
    As others have said, what you carry is only useful if you know how to use it. As a former military PA my choices might be a bit different than yours. Whatever you get, practice with it. (This is a lot easier with an uninjured person!) Get good with what you have. You'll discover that some items, like triangular bandages, are surprisingly versatile.

Pete
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

I recently attended and recommend "A Crash Course for the Motorcyclist" offered by Accident Scene Management Instititue (ASMI)/Road Guardians http://roadguardians.org/ Their courses teach you what to do at a motorcycle accident. These courses were developed and are taught by experienced emergency medical personnal and motorcyclists and are endorsed and supported by Wisconsin DOT, MSF, NHTSA and others. In addition to offering training courses, ASMI sells trauma kits and a complete range of first aid and accident scene and traffic control equipment.
    Ken S
    03 R1150RT