Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Tires for airheads?

Best Tires for airheads?

I`m searching for a new set of rubber for my 77 R75/7.
    So far I like the Michelin Pilot Active, it is available in the original sizes
    325-19 & 400-18.
    I have also heard good things about the BT-45`s but they only
    come in metric sizes.
    What is everyone else running?

Most if not all of the tire manufacturers have websites where you can find out what size tires are available in what models. Michelins site is

http://www.teammichelin.com/
    2004 R1150RT 145,700 miles
    1991 K100LT 126,700 miles
    1982 R100RT 106,900 miles
    Total 379,300 BMW miles

I have Avon Roadriders on my RS. I'm happy with them. I believe they come in inch sizes, altho I have metric on mine.
    1983 R100RS (Sold)
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289
    ABC 13558

Avon Road Riders

in Inch size. Recently I have heard good things about the Michelin Activs from Tom Cutter @Rubber Chicken Racing Garage.

What oil are you running?
    Justin in Somerville, MA

1971 R60/5 @189K
    I have had many, many Metzlers and was happy with them until I tried Michelins. The feel was more responsive, they didn't track metal bridge gratings and I got longer tire life. Michelin - Rears:14-16K, fronts: 11-12K.
    Metzlers - Rears: around 9K, fronts: about the same as the Michelins
    Adirondack Bob

Bridgestone Spitfire

Bridgestone Spitfire tires are awesome. They look good on our machines, have a harder compound in the center for the highway and a softer compound on the sides for the curves... I get consistently around 15 K off a set. On top of that they are very reasonably prices (better than the Michelin Activ). Both great tires though, you will not go wrong with either...
    Keep the rubber side down!!
    1986 R 80 RS
    1992 R 100 R
    BMW MOA Life member; Ironbutt Member; Airhead Member

Nick Kennedy
    I'm currently running those Michelin Activ's on my 1978 R80/7 in the inch size and think very highly of those tires, I got a smokin deal on them last summer through Dennis Kirk, FWIW. And they are new ones, the date stamp showed them to be 13 months old..

Avon RoadRider AM26

I have a 1977 R100/7. I have just replaced another set of Avon's, I think i am on my fourth set. Actually, I end up wearing out 2 rears to one front. I ride this bike fully loaded with gear so maybe 100 lbs or so above me and I am in the 175 lb range. I run 38 lbs in the rear and 32 front. I ride fairly spirited if there are any twisties around. So far I really like the tires, both from a wear standpoint and sticking to the ground viewpoint. Last spring I was returning from Mexico where I had run on some terrible roads due to construction, lots of sharp edged rocks on construction detours. This really worn my tire down and so I decided to stop and get a new tire. Well, you take what you get when asking for a 4.00 x 18 and just showing up at the dealer. Ended up with a Michelin ME88, maybe it was a 880, but a Michelin none the less. It worn really well but was also rather hard and I found I was slipping on fast corners even when well warmed up. I think the compound was much harder than the avon's. So I just dismounted it and put on a new Avon Road Rider AM26 in 4.00x18 size. That is what I have been running now for a few years. If you are just riding around town and a few short jaunts, then as long as the tire appears round...it will work. If you are touring and or running kind of hot then tire selection becomes much more important. Probably lots of excellent choices and also some poor ones. Read into the responses and figure out who is doing what with the tires they reccomend. I have a 1972 R75/5 that pretty much just gets run around town. I just put my fairly worn Avons on her and run them for a bit, it's kind of a second child hand-me-down but works fine. Just don't tell her...
    Regards,
    Kurt
    1977 R100/7 1971.1972.1972.1973 R75/5
    1974 R90/6 multiple boxes
    Airhead Revival
    "Objects in the mirror appear to be losing" unk

Dunlop K70 vintage tires fit and work right

Quote Originally Posted by Boxerkuh View Post
    Bridgestone Spitfire tires are awesome. They look good on our machines, have a harder compound in the center for the highway and a softer compound on the sides for the curves... I get consistently around 15 K off a set. On top of that they are very reasonably prices (better than the Michelin Activ). Both great tires though, you will not go wrong with either...
    Where did you find a Bridgestone 90/90 H18 ? i looked around the web and only see 90/90 H19 or 100/90 H18 Thanks

Currently I'm running Mich pro activ 325X19 on the front (since last spring) On the rear Heidenau K-36 400 X 18 (since the Bloomsburg rally). I have no issues with either as of this time. The K-36 looks to me like a Metzler tread pattern. When the Heidenau wears out I plan on a pro activ to replace it.

I have been using the Mich Macadam on the front for my last two tires with good results.
    Prior to the Heidenau I had a Metzler (from the Oregon rally) that tire wore out really fast but I was towing a trailer. A Dunlop 404 rear wore out really fast (without a trailer).

I prefer using the inch size tires over the "equivalent" metric ones, they just seem right to me.

Rally Rat
    Anyone have a report on Continental Conti Go? ('76 90/6 needs new rubber and shoes this winter)

Nick Kennedy
    A couple of users, myself included, reported last year about very short life on the Conti Go's....I only got about 2200 miles on the rear as I recall. Very good feeling tire though... Soft, good in the corners. Try the new Michelins, Spitfires or Avon Road Riders, if you need to go any distance.
    Nick Kennedy

Bridgestone Battleaxe

Strap on a pair of these very reasonably priced Bridgestones and get a nice sport/touring (or as we say in Bavaria, RT) experience. Nice compromise between grippy (yes, could be better) and longevity.

Mike McGrath
    '86 R80RT
    "79 FJ40

Quote Originally Posted by txedomoon View Post
    Anyone have a report on Continental Conti Go? ('76 90/6 needs new rubber and shoes this winter)
    I ran the conti-gos for a season on my R75/5 and absolutely hated them! They followed every groove or surface imperfection in the road, very unsettling at speed! Currently running the Michelin Activs and it's like a different bike, I recall they were less expensive as well.

Put another vote up in the Michelin catagory, great tires in the correct size for Airheads.