Thread: Importing BMW Bikes to USA

Hybrid View

Cool Importing BMW Bikes to USA

I am trying to find out what, if any, issues there are with importing my BMW (2011 1200GS) purchased in Chile to the USA. My concern is whether there are any issues regarding emissions that could become a problem getting a DMV registration. As far as I know the BMW bikes from a safety and emissions perspective are manufactured to the same standards the world over and there should not be any issue with the DMV from those perspectives. Does anyone have any info on that or can point me in the right direction.

thanks so much -- Sepp

Sepp,

The rules are stacked against you to import a private motor vehicle to the US for registration here (as opposed to a temporary entry for tourism or diplomatic use, for instance).

If less than 25 years old, the bike must meet EPA (emissions) and DOT (other safety) specifications. Only two methods are allowed to do so: a) certification by the manufacturer that the bike meets these specifications, and b) conversion by an authorized converter business here in the US.

To protect its distribution entities (such as BMWNA), BMW will not provide this certification to you or the government, even if the machine in question were, in fact, built to USA-compliant standards. To convert an existing machine can be done, but it will cost significant money - figures tossed around on the net suggest in the middle four figures.

It's easier to find a good bike here and buy it. Do a little net searching on importation and you'll learn more.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

David

thanks for the info. I was affraid I may run into issues lilke that. its a shame that BMWNA is likely not going to help with issues like this. The bike is just 2 years old and in tip top shape. But you maybe right -- it may just be easier to sell here and get an other one back home.

Sepp

There is ZERO call to bash BMW for any of this.

The requirements are Federal requirements and are not secret.

Meeting the requirements in cases like this is certified by the government, NOT BMW. ALL the parts are available.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Meeting the requirements in cases like this is certified by the government, NOT BMW. ALL the parts are available.
    It's not that simple.

All the government does is review documents - it tests and certifies nothing. Parts are available, but that availability is irrelevant given that the only two methods of compliance are presentation of a certificate of compliance issued by the manufacturer (which BMW AG won't issue) or conversion and certification by a business that's licensed by the Feds to do this work (which will cost the owner a bunch).
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

So is there any automotive manufacturer in the world that will do this?
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S