Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anniversary Airhead?

Anniversary Airhead?

Any more information on the production of an anniversary Airhead in 201_? I'm itching for another Airhead withing the next year!

Mike Horne
    76 R90/6
    93 R100R Legend

Where did you hear this far fetched rumor? With all of the things that had to change on the Airhead, it would take quite a lot to bring it back. Wait...isn't that the Oilhead??
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Do you mean airhead or "not the new water cooled engine," i.e. a camhead? I know there is a 90th anniv RT coming out as a friend has placed an order. I think he said it will be here in Feb. Or maybe it's being built in Feb.

The anniversary specials will have the camhead engine.

Nobody has called boxer-engine BMWs "Airheads" since 1995.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Beyond the announcement there would be an anniversary edition bike news has been slow to trickle out. As pointed out it will be a camhead not what we call an airhead. In a recent press release the anniversary bikes were referred to as a "air cooled" boxer which may have caused some confusion to some. Yes, anniversary bikes. The other tease in the release was that three versions will be released. No details were included.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

I have also ordered the 2013 RT 90th edition. it is 'Sapphire Black' w/ some gold elements & a 90th yr badge.
    Supposedly the first units are being built now for distribution in Feb, although I was told ~60 days for mine.
    Other than RT, they will be doing a GS & an R version of the bike. Note sure of quantities of each being produced.

Black and gold? John Player colors! Norton and Lotus did a great job with this combination, hope the new bikes are as nice!

Its not a lot of gold, just a couple parts like suspension and brakes.

vis_header_r1200rt_90years-special.jpg

more info available here

Quote Originally Posted by Mika View Post
    Beyond the announcement there would be an anniversary edition bike news has been slow to trickle out. As pointed out it will be a camhead not what we call an airhead. In a recent press release the anniversary bikes were referred to as a "air cooled" boxer which may have caused some confusion to some. Yes, anniversary bikes. The other tease in the release was that three versions will be released. No details were included.
    Thanks Mika for the clarification - I got excited over reading AIR-COOLED. I was hoping there would be a little more retro look to the 'anniversary' bikes. I'll keep looking and enjoying my 2 airheads!

Mike Horne
    76 R90/6
    93 R100R Legend

OTL December 2012 showed up today. In "News and Views" on page 6, the editor writes:

BMW Motorrad will be presenting a new model with an air-cooled 'boxer' engine in 2013
    as a special way of marking the "90 years of BMW Motorrad" anniversary..

Makes no sense, given the lack of production facilities and parts streams, and the presence
    of current government noise regulations. I think the editor let his enthusiasm overwhelm reality.

Lots of elegant pics of the Barber collection, 'tho.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Ute's Chauffeur
    The anniversary airhead you are referring to is the production version of the Lo Rider cafe style bike. I am looking forward to it. It will also have the present generation of the boxer engine not the new WC version.

Quote Originally Posted by jlevee View Post
    I have also ordered the 2013 RT 90th edition. it is 'Sapphire Black' w/ some gold elements & a 90th yr badge.
    Supposedly the first units are being built now for distribution in Feb, although I was told ~60 days for mine.
    Other than RT, they will be doing a GS & an R version of the bike. Note sure of quantities of each being produced.

Any word on prices?

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    Any word on prices?
    Prices were same as the standard RT, $17350 as the base. There is an additional $595 cost for the model 90, but I seem to recall when researching online that all the RT bikes had the same $595 price somewhere added on for the color scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by jlevee View Post
    Prices were same as the standard RT, $17350 as the base. There is an additional $595 cost for the model 90, but I seem to recall when researching online that all the RT bikes had the same $595 price somewhere added on for the color scheme.

Thanks! .....I'm planning on attending the IMS show @ Indy next month. I hope they have them there. We lost our local dealer a few years back.

Come spring, or at least warmer weather, I'll attempt to sell two Kawasaki cruisers I have , and I f I do ? ...an anniversary RT just might wind-up in the garage.

No longer a member here
    At this point, there will be four 90 year anniversary models. There is no special anniversary equipment or options, but the paint scheme will be unique.
    - R1200GS Adventure in Sapphire Black Metallic, black engine, black anodized Paralever, brake calipers and fork stanchions in gold, seat in Luxor Olive Gray/Seta Black
    - K1300S Alpine White/Sapphire Black/Racing Red, tinted windshield, ESAII, ASC, RDC, HP shift assist, HP footpegs, Akrapovic exhaust, heated grips, on-board computer
    - R1200R paint schem similar to Adventure and RT in black with gold calipers and fork stanchions
    - R1200RT as described above

Prices have been leaked for Germany as 15,950 Euro for the Adventure, 18,500 Euro for the K1300S, 17,720 for the RT and 12,850 for the R

I have pictures of all, but copyrights prevent me from posting these, sorry.