Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Some days it just doesn't pay to chew through the straps in the morning...

Rally Rat

Some days it just doesn't pay to chew through the straps in the morning...

So, I have a 1974 r90s motor.

and I have a 70's era BMW factory replacement frame.

with no VIN, and no paperwork.

According to the state of texas, if I can get any authorized BMW dealer to write a note on BMW letterhead saying 'yes, this is a frame for a BMW, circa 1970s', they'll give me a VIN, and I can get a title.

So far, I've not been able to find anyone willing to do the job. Thoughts?

So, you called Alamo BMW? They said no? What was their reasoning?
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

jeepinbanditrider
    Does the engine have a VIN number on it?

Rally Rat
    Alamo made some whimpering noise about 'liability', and refused to even discuss the matter.

Yes, the motor has a nice clean vin that comes back as 'not stolen', and belonging to a 1974 r90s.

I know you already have one but you should be able to pick up a used frame with a title for 50 bucks. Could save you some headaches...

Rally Rat
    ...why do you have one for fifty bucks? the cheapest one I've see is two hundred.

jeepinbanditrider
    Can't you get a title with the engine vin? When you put in for a bonded title they don't care if you get the stenciling of the vin from the frame or the engine as long as you have a vin.

Rally Rat
    Because it's texas, and the rules are stupid, and arbitrary. They even admit they're stupid, and arbitrary. Can't be helped.

jeepinbanditrider
    I've got the bonded title forms in front of me I don't see how it would matter if you gave them the VIN off the bike or the VIN off the engine the forms don't specify. I'm doing bonded title paperwork now for a 78GS1000.

Rally Rat
    I made the mistake of being honest with them. And, also, in San Antonio, at least, they inspect the vehicle before issuing a bonded title. if the vin on the frame is missing, bike does not pass.

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roguetek View Post
    Because it's texas, and the rules are stupid, and arbitrary. They even admit they're stupid, and arbitrary. Can't be helped.
    Sounds like NY state, here you would be better off selling everything and buying a bicycle.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Rally Rat
    Check your private messages. Texas laws can be re-interpreted.
    Boxerbruce

jeepinbanditrider
    Quote Originally Posted by Roguetek View Post
    I made the mistake of being honest with them. And, also, in San Antonio, at least, they inspect the vehicle before issuing a bonded title. if the vin on the frame is missing, bike does not pass.
    When I took mine in for the VI-30 (the "green sheet") the inspection guy didn't even look at the frame or the engine. Just took my insurance card and did the inspection for blinkers and what not.

Rally Rat
    I'm not going to take the risk. Also, they -know- me at this point. If they see a BMW go through, they're gonna double check.

jeepinbanditrider
    Who your regional service office? They get so much business and paperwork rolling through you are just a number to them nothing more. I've been doing my bonded title stuff all via snail mail.