Thread: abs servo noise - R1200RT-2006

location,los angeles

Question abs servo noise - R1200RT-2006

finally i got the courage to renew the brake fluid on the whole system,bought the funnel read the instructions put new speed bleeder valves.
    today i took a ride and although i have good braking,when i pull the front brake the noise on the shervo motor does not stop unless i release the lever,the rear stops but not right way.so it seems that i did something wrong,is it air in the system?
    anybody ever had this problem?
    i'll appreciate your advise.
    Regards:Peter
    R1200RT-2006
    Last edited by deilenberger; 02-10-2013 at 05:34 PM. Reason: added year/model to title and corrected spelling

The SERVO motor is supposed to run until you let go of the brake lever or foot pedal.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

location,los angeles
    Marty, i just wanna say you made my day.
    perhaps i didn't pay attention before i did the bleeding but for some reason i thought that when i pulled the lever i heard the noise for 2-3 seconds only and then it got silent.
    thank you.Peter

Front: servo comes on and stays on as long as the brake lever is triggering the brake switch.
    Rear: servo comes on with brakes and any change in braking pressure. Servo will stop with constant pressure, e.g. holding your self stopped on an incline. This is a battery saving feature as the servos suck up battery juice and the bike doesn't generate all that much current at idle. I thought there were words in the riders manual to that effect, but I can't find them.

location,los angeles
    thank you again for the detail info.i got the bike 1 month ago and i'm still learning about hexheads.i had an 1150R 2003 before and it was a much simpler bike,but i love this one.
    Regards: Peter

Peter - please read: http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?46055 - You might imagine how this applies to your thread since there are several (two?) generations of brakes used on hexhead models. The query would be model/year specific. I'm adding that info to your thread title, please do so yourself in future posts to the tech sections.

Thanks!
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche